V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Caliper Removal For Painting

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/09, 11:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper Removal For Painting

Does anyone have a link or anything to post on this? I've been searching for a while and can't find anything. My new caliper paint arrives tomorrow and I still don't know how to completely remove them so I can brush the paint on. I'm also upgrading/swapping out rotors and caliper brackets(v6 to GT). So I wanted to do everything at the same time and I figured it would just be easier to remove all 4 calipers & brackets for painting. I've looked up how to swap pads and rotors, I was just curious on what else needs to be done to completely remove the caliper so I can be completely ready and know what I need to do before I start. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Last edited by Topless Stang; 10/29/09 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10/28/09, 11:56 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Topless Stang
Does anyone have a link or anything to post on this? I've been searching for a while and can't find anything. My new caliper paint arrives tomorrow and I still don't know how to completely remove them so I can brush the paint on. I'm also upgrading/swapping out rotors and caliper brackets(v6 to GT). So I wanted to do everything at the same time and I figured it would just be easier to remove all 4 calipers & brackets for painting. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
I don't know about the removal but I would suggest that you do not put off using the caliper paint. I think I read in a thread here that it is better if you use it sooner than later. The longer it sits the less likely it is to stick or turn out properly. I can't back this up with the thread, but I know I read that. You've got weeks for sure, but don't put it on a shelf and think that next summer it will be just as good as it is now.
Old 10/29/09, 12:55 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I don't know about the removal but I would suggest that you do not put off using the caliper paint. I think I read in a thread here that it is better if you use it sooner than later. The longer it sits the less likely it is to stick or turn out properly. I can't back this up with the thread, but I know I read that. You've got weeks for sure, but don't put it on a shelf and think that next summer it will be just as good as it is now.
I'm using G2 paint and I didn't see that anywhere. In any case I'm doing it this weekend so I'll be fine. I just need to find out how to remove my calipers. I'm buying all the tools to do the job, just don't know what removing the caliper entails. I'll have the one man bleeding tool so I'll be ok bleeding the brakes(i know I have to do that when I reinstall and I know how to get them off the rotor, but not off the car...thats what I need help with.
Old 10/29/09, 05:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Why remove the calipers? Paint them right on the car. That's what I did
Old 10/29/09, 06:13 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by First Stang
Why remove the calipers? Paint them right on the car. That's what I did
I figure it would be easier to clean then & prep them. Plus I would rather paint them on my bench. What kind of paint did you use? I'm using G2.
Old 10/29/09, 06:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I used black G2 with white "mustang" and pony decals. They look great and have held up well for 2 years with no cracks or chips.
Old 10/29/09, 06:22 AM
GT Member

cool, i"m doing mine in white with the black 'running pony' decals. did you have to take the wheels off to put the decals on? I planned on painting this weekend, but putting the decals on next week when they get here without taking the tires off.
Old 10/29/09, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't think you you will be able to put the decals on w/o taking the wheels off. I'll see if I have some pics of mine that I can post.
Old 10/29/09, 06:39 AM
GT Member

Thanks......do you have any idea on how to take the calipers off?
Old 10/29/09, 08:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used G2 many times and painted em right on the car. Just clean with soap and water.
Let dry. Clean with the G2 brake cleaner (comes in the kit). let dry. Then mask.

Have all four tires off and be ready to paint them all at the same time. The G2 comes with a hardener
so you have about 1 hour before its a rock! Dont worry about brush strokes. As it dries it congeals and will be smooth.

The key is masking. Just take your time.

For the Mustang I just measured and had a vinyl guy make me a reverse of a decal....the outline
or whatever they call it. I applied it after the paint dried and sprayed some 800 degree black engine paint
on it. Waited 15 minutes then peeled it off. WHALLLLAAAAA.....painted pony:

and a few when I was painting barry to give you a masking idea:

Dont take them off cause you cant go far...unless you open the system up.

Last edited by Barricade; 10/29/09 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10/29/09, 09:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Barricade
I used G2 many times and painted em right on the car. Just clean with soap and water.
Let dry. Clean with the G2 brake cleaner (comes in the kit). let dry. Then mask.

Have all four tires off and be ready to paint them all at the same time. The G2 comes with a hardener
so you have about 1 hour before its a rock! Dont worry about brush strokes. As it dries it congeals and will be smooth.

The key is masking. Just take your time.

For the Mustang I just measured and had a vinyl guy make me a reverse of a decal....the outline
or whatever they call it. I applied it after the paint dried and sprayed some 800 degree black engine paint
on it. Waited 15 minutes then peeled it off. WHALLLLAAAAA.....painted pony:

and a few when I was painting barry to give you a masking idea:

Dont take them off cause you cant go far...unless you open the system up.
It's safe to wash the calipers off using soap and water while on the car? I didn't think of doing that while they were on the car. I figured it would be easier to do if they were disconnected and I could make sure they were clean and dry before I started. One of the tricks I did read sounded good. Since I'm replacing rotors they say you can remove the caliper, pads and rotor...then attach the caliper using just the bottom bolt. Does that sound good?

So you wash, dry, THEN use the brake cleaner spray? Cool...thanks for the tip. I'm glad I came here..the G2 site says once you apply the hardener the paint will be usable for 4-6 hours. You're saying you only have an hour to paint?? That was enough time to go over each caliper? How many coats did you do? The decals I found were on ebay and they are supposedly 'offical' ford products

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en

It seems like a painted pony might be a better way to go though. Any chance you'd be willing to sell that pony stencil?? lol

Great looking car and paint job on the calipers. If hope mine turns out that good.

Last edited by Topless Stang; 10/29/09 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10/29/09, 10:47 AM
Cobra R Member

4 hours? I think not! I put two coats on em and touched it up in places.
You have plenty of time if you prep before you pour the hardner into the paint.

Stencil....thats the word! lol

I can have her make another one but she isnt as cheap as ebay. Ebay may be your best bang for your buck.
The cool thing about it was she did a mirror so the Pony faces up on both sides.
You also need tweezers to get that one small part from just behind the front leg.
You cant wait till the paint is dry. You gotta pull off the stencil about 15-20 min after painting it so it doesnt tear the paint.

I also masked around the stencil with paper and used a can of black 800 degree engine paint
spray for the pony.
Been on for over two years and still looks new.

Ask the guys on ebay if they can do a stencil pair with a mirrored one. Looks like mines a tad bigger
than the ebay sticker.

Last edited by Barricade; 10/29/09 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10/29/09, 11:12 AM
GT Member

I can have her make another one but she isnt as cheap as ebay. Ebay may be your best bang for your buck.
The cool thing about it was she did a mirror so the Pony faces up on both sides.
You also need tweezers to get that one small part from just behind the front leg.
You cant wait till the paint is dry. You gotta pull off the stencil about 15-20 min after painting it so it doesnt tear the paint.

I also masked around the stencil with paper and used a can of black 800 degree engine paint
spray for the pony.

Ask the guys on ebay if they can do a stencil pair with a mirrored one. Looks like mines a tad bigger
than the ebay sticker.
I appreciate all of the info. Does the stencil have adhesive? if not how did u keep the paint from running? If you don't mind could you ask? The ebay ones may be cheaper, but in reality I don't know how well a sticker would hold up on a caliper even though it is supposed to be an offical product. You did a great job though. I'm sure I'll be ok prepping. Here's a shot of the stock GT anthracite bullitts I painted on Tuesday....
Attached Thumbnails Caliper Removal For Painting-img_0039.jpg   Caliper Removal For Painting-img_0052.jpg   Caliper Removal For Painting-img00230.jpg  
Old 10/29/09, 11:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Yes...the stencil is made from the overlay stuff they usually put over the stickers
for ease of application.
Sooooo it can be easily removed. Plenty of stick but peels off easy cheesy.
Ill see her tomorrow so Ill ask.
Old 10/29/09, 12:00 PM
GT Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll post up after I get everything done this weekend.
Old 10/29/09, 12:06 PM
GT Member

spray for the pony.

than the ebay sticker.

Where did you get those spinners?? I could go for some with a white autobot symbol!!

Last edited by Topless Stang; 10/29/09 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11/1/09, 12:48 PM
GT Member

I painted mine this weekend. i took off the front for painting and left the rears on. They came out really good but now it sure makes the factory rotors look bad
Old 11/1/09, 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Hey Topless....she can make me another set. She said $20. Sounds steep to me.
I can grab it and throw a stamp on it ifn u want. I still think ebay might be cheaper for ya.

The Spinners? ahhhhhhh....its beena couple years. Let me see if I can remember.
Old 11/4/09, 10:12 AM
GT Member

Hey Topless....she can make me another set. She said $20. Sounds steep to me.
I can grab it and throw a stamp on it ifn u want. I still think ebay might be cheaper for ya.

The Spinners? ahhhhhhh....its beena couple years. Let me see if I can remember.

That sucks...I pullled the trigger on those ebay ones last night