V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

1,500 RPM vibration

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/05, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just you pocket book.. And if premium fuel makes this vibration go away I will give the car away. I am a school trained auto mechanic who worked for over 12year of my life as a full time machanic, gas ain't going to fix this! It is quite obvious the exhast is WAY to stiff, jus tgive it a bump with the palm of your hand. They have 10 pouds of weights hanging on it.. weight is bad.. get the weight out of the car .. better performance .. mileage.. etc.. they PUT WEIGHT IN .. you want to bet if you remove those weights the car shakes like one of them coin operated beds.
waiting till summer to complain aobut it to Ford..
Doug

As a follow on to this I checked on the vibration this weekend.
I had my car up in the air the other day after changing the oil and had my friend siting in the car. I had him put the car in gear, brake on, and load it down to 1600 or so, till he hit the vibration. From under the car you could feel the exaust system vibrating like crazy. However if you put you hand on the engine, NO vibration. My car has the dampers hanging on it and it still vibrates. For those who think they do not have the vibration, try starting your car after it is warmed up, put it drive (has to be an auto) and slowly load it down watching the rpms, as you approch 1600, increase the power real slow, you will hit a spot where the car starts to resonate and drone as you pass this rpm the vibration goes away. If you drive with a heavy foot all the time, you may never notice it.
Doug
Old 3/9/05, 09:50 PM

I am glad to see at least there are others out there with problems with their new stang. I called the @*$#heads at Ford and the customer service rep said that this was the first time of hearing about the problem. So I asked her to ask around to see if any other dept was aware of the problem. She did call me back however and said that Ford is working on a fix. I just wanted to have it on record with them, that I called in with the problem, so when they recall the car or I have to take them to court for Lemon Law I have a leg to stand on. I have to say that I am really disgusted with Ford because I find it hard to believe that they did not know about the problem(s) before releasing the car to the public. Really hope they do make it right because if they don't. It will be the last Ford I will ever buy.
Old 3/10/05, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by AJSstang@March 9, 2005, 10:53 PM
know about the problem(s) before releasing the car to the public. Really hope they do make it right because if they don't. It will be the last Ford I will ever buy.
Hey they knew about it! If they didn't there woulldn't be 2 big-o Rubber weights hanging on the exhaust system! Reguadless of the the problems, it is a NEW car and there are going to be bugs! Face it, it is the freaking coolest looking car on the road, love it while you can!
Doug
Old 3/10/05, 08:25 PM

Agreed, the car is the best looking car on the road hands down!!!!!
Old 3/18/05, 02:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just checking in on this again-no new news from Ford on vibe concern. Just some additional information, none of the owners of our other V6 mustangs has reported this (or any other ) concern to this point. I guess different things bother different people.
Old 3/18/05, 08:04 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by aixguy+March 10, 2005, 7:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aixguy @ March 10, 2005, 7:55 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-AJSstang@March 9, 2005, 10:53 PM
know about the problem(s) before releasing the car to the public. Really hope they do make it right because if they don't. It will be the last Ford I will ever buy.
Hey they knew about it! If they didn't there woulldn't be 2 big-o Rubber weights hanging on the exhaust system! Reguadless of the the problems, it is a NEW car and there are going to be bugs! Face it, it is the freaking coolest looking car on the road, love it while you can!
Doug
[/b][/quote]
Doug, do you think replacing the exhaust with after market will get rid of the vibration. My 4.6 Gt has it also. From day 1 I felt it and questioned it ever since.
Old 3/23/05, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Black Magic+March 18, 2005, 9:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black Magic @ March 18, 2005, 9:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by aixguy@March 10, 2005, 7:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-AJSstang
@March 9, 2005, 10:53 PM

Doug
Doug, do you think replacing the exhaust with after market will get rid of the vibration. My 4.6 Gt has it also. From day 1 I felt it and questioned it ever since.
[/b][/quote]

The other day while waiting for my wife, I put the car in park and raise the rpm very slowly at about 800 and 1700 I felt a marked vibration. I would bet the car, this is the cause of the resonace. The engine or trans has some imbalance in it that get that stiff exhasut vibrating. I think the only thing to do is compain about it to the dealer every time your are in, and get them to check the hot line. It really bugs me we have to buy an import for a vibration free car. Then again, lots of folks on this board put aftermarket parts on their cars to make them vibrate ;-)
I would hold off on reaplacing anything until some more time goes by and ford has a chance to respond. I am more concerned about the strut bushing issue then the vibration. I had some tire wear after 2000 miles and took it to the dealer, they looked at the service mesage and said "oh there is a problem with the sturt bushing they make a poping noise, no fix yet" They didn't bother to check the alinment so I took it to a front end shop for an alignmnet. Toe was in spec but Toed OUT .09 .. after alinment it was toed IN .01 (as any rear wheel drive car should be) and feels like a new car.
Doug
Old 3/30/05, 08:24 PM

Well it is off to the dealer tomorrow. It looks like they will have to take apart the dash to fix this annoying rattle on the far right side of the dash board. I will let you all know what the fix is once I get the car back. I know a few of you have this problem. Just an FYI I know this has been an issue on the message boards. I picked up a lens cleaner 12.99 from Radioshack and used it. I have not heard a skip on the shaker 500 since.(knocking on wood)
Old 3/31/05, 10:31 PM

I have had several rattels took it in and all but one are gone. I had a rattle in the back but after getting violent i made it go away by jerking the crap out of the seat belt on the back seat driver side. My Shaker 500 is acting up and need to take it in yesterday it stoppped playing a brand new CD altogether and just kept going to the next track. I turned the radio off and on and went back and forth from fm to cd and it didn't work. So selected another cd and went back and it played. It also spits them out at me and says bad disk. I also have the 1500rpm vibration but i thought it was cause of the flowmaster 50 series and taking the back weight off. My car seems really loud inside though but then again the back seat is down for my boom box. I also get a loud popping when i turn the wheel hard. I have the car SCT programmed and have no hesitation problems. Oh and my steering wheel was replaced as the black plastic started coming off of one of the spokes.
Old 4/7/05, 08:17 PM

The rattles in the dash are now gone. It looks like there was some improper installation of insulation around the vent tubes within the dash. Also I was told a fix for the harmonic vibration should be out by the end of the month. A Ford engineer was there to look at the dash rattle as well as the harmonic vibration. Believe it or not I was told by the dealer that it looks like an issue with the transmission. The dealer thought it was coming from the exaust, but he did confirm it was transmission related. I thought he was referring to the transmission mount bracket. That has already been installed on my car. The dealer said it is transmission related as per the engineer. If I hear anything new I will keep you posted.
Old 4/14/05, 02:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here is the latest:

Ford issued TSB 05-08-06 today, involving the installation of a damper kit (part #5R3Z5F240A) to quell 850 RPM vibration in the exhaust. No illustration or diagrams included in TSB. Have ordered parts for repair. Will report on effectiveness of repair when completed.

Unsure if this will help 1,500 RPM vibe. Will let you all know.
Old 4/16/05, 08:00 PM

Thanks, I contacted the dealer with the info he is ordering the part to fix the 800 rpm drone vibration, hopefully that works. You would not believe it, they fixed the rattle on the far right side of the dash, but now the whole dash is rattling. I also noticed a leak today coming from the transmission cooling line to the radiator. So its back to the dealer on Monday. I have told them I do not care if they have the car for a month, fix it!!! I really feel like I can not win with this car. Also, a question, I am not sure if anyone has this issue but when you hit 70 mph with the radio off and windows closed do you notice a rattling sound coming from the speaker area near the floor on both the passenger and driver side. I have been told this is wind noise coming from the wheel wells, but I think that is BS.
Old 4/18/05, 01:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by AJSstang@April 16, 2005, 9:03 PM
Also, a question, I am not sure if anyone has this issue but when you hit 70 mph with the radio off and windows closed do you notice a rattling sound coming from the speaker area near the floor on both the passenger and driver side. I have been told this is wind noise coming from the wheel wells, but I think that is BS.
I have not encountered this concern with mine, however I will try it out on the way home-I do not spend much time driving at high speeds without any tunes on!!

I have had the fender wells out of both sides of the car, and do not see how this could be.
Old 4/22/05, 07:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Report...
Damper kit installed, very noticable reduction in vibe both at around 850 rpm and at 1500 rpm-still "wouldn't mistake it for a japanese six" but I do not care!! Some of us do not mind feeling our machinery work!!!
Old 4/22/05, 11:09 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,797 Likes on 2,072 Posts
Originally posted by Tiberius1701@April 22, 2005, 5:43 AM
Report...
Damper kit installed, very noticable reduction in vibe both at around 850 rpm and at 1500 rpm-still "wouldn't mistake it for a japanese six" but I do not care!! Soome of us do not mind feeling our machinery work!!!
You should show them the instructions on that TSB! Pretty long winded don't you think!

kc
Old 4/23/05, 06:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05stangkc+April 23, 2005, 12:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05stangkc @ April 23, 2005, 12:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tiberius1701@April 22, 2005, 5:43 AM
Report...
Damper kit installed, very noticable reduction in vibe both at around 850 rpm and at 1500 rpm-still "wouldn't mistake it for a japanese six" but I do not care!! Soome of us do not mind feeling our machinery work!!!
You should show them the instructions on that TSB! Pretty long winded don't you think!

kc
[/b][/quote]

Quite.. I do not have a scanner otherwise I would. I really liked the use of the digital micrometer!! :-D I think the human eye could do just as well with what they were describing!
Old 5/21/05, 06:51 AM

Damper Kit installed for 850 RPM drone, it works well. Waiting for damper kit for rear axle whine will be installed soon, I will let you know what the results are. I still have a question for anyone out there. Has anyone noticed when they hit 70 mph a (subtle vibrating or rattling noise coming from underneath the floor boards or near the door jam on the passenger and driver side.) I think it is the heat shield under neath vibrating at high speeds. If so, does anyone know of a fix or a TSB besides turning the stereo up?
Thanks
Old 5/24/05, 10:05 PM

Part # 5R3Z-5F240-A (Damper Kit) has been installed for a noticible reduction in the 850 RPM moan and resonance. However, my vehicle still has a noticible moan and resonance from below and to the rear of the car - very noticible in city driving when engine in the 1400-1700 RPM range. I can never hear the sound of the engine in lower speed city driving - instead, only hear the exhaust moan and feel the exhaust resonance. The dealer advised that the Damper Kit is intended to address the 850 RPM problem only, and that Ford is apparently working on the 1500 RPM problem as a different issue. However, I haven't heard anything yet about a fix for the 1500 RPM issue.
Old 5/29/05, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I took my car back in this past week to get a laundry list checked out. They put everything on order and it's all been back ordered. I'm letting you guys know so that you can anticipate this. I'm not sure how long it will take to come in, but I'm anxious.

I got my dash rattle fixed up, and I feel MUCH happier now. The laundry list of items coming for my car pretty much cover ALL of the TSB's released that pertain to the V6 auto cars:

Gas Tank replacement
Shaker Replacement
Axle Damper
Front end strut components (popping noise)
850 rpm vibration

I think that covered it all. I also had a few small fixes that needed to get done. I'll let you guys know when I get my fixes done. Hopefully they fix me up!

Thanks for keeping the thread alive and for showing me the TSB's. My dealer just LOVED me when I rolled in there with a list of TSB's and part numbers. it was great! It was almost like they were hoping I was wrong, but they definately treat me with LOTS of respect because I KNOW what I'm talking about. Well... it's also a backwoods small town dealer. That helps too.

Thanks again. sorry for the ramble.
Old 5/29/05, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the vibration happens at 1500 rpm I turn off the o/d and the vibration calms down seems to happen at least once a day.

Quick Reply: 1,500 RPM vibration