V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

1,500 RPM vibration

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/05, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what its worth, I test drove a V6 (w/automatic) on the dealer lot last friday, it also had the 1500rpm resonance. My experience with various exhaust installations--stock and aftermarket-- leads me to believe it is an exhaust problem.
Old 1/19/05, 06:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi All, sorry I have been silent on this for such a long time, but wanted to gather as much information and try out the fix Ford had recommended for the 800-900 rpm and 1500rpm drone. The repair (so far) involved checking exhaust system alignment, engine and transmission mount alignment, an exhaust system counterweight (my car already had the same one they specified-will recontact hotline about that one.) and various fastener neutralization and retorque procedures.
Just to let you know this has eliminated about 80% of the concern in my car B) , have two more items to try out tomorrow and will report then.
Old 1/19/05, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the info Matt, is this a bulletin or just something that your dealership is trying?
Old 1/19/05, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

It was an early fix advisement from Hotline, will most likely be a special service message or even possibly a TSB. Will keep posted on further developments.
Old 1/20/05, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by Tiberius1701@January 19, 2005, 7:41 PM
The repair (so far) involved checking exhaust system alignment, engine and transmission mount alignment
Hey, did you happen to notice, the tail pipe alignment with the body before and after the changes? When I took delivery of my car, I noticed the tail pipe was not centred in the cutout fo the bumber. Was wondering if the adjustments you speak of puts it in the center or not. I really want to take my car in for the vibration, but I think I would rather wait till FORD has a documented fix.
Thanks
Doug
Old 1/20/05, 07:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

I didn't have any tailpipe to bumper alignment concern, pipe was and is centered.
Old 1/27/05, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Got mine back right as the forums went down. Dealer performed all of the items in the bullitin with very little help to the problem. The dealer told me that Ford is DEFINATELY aware of the problem, and the rep told him a team of engineers has been set into action on fixing it. He told me that this indicates up to 5 months before a solution can be found.

I was also told to check back in April of this year, and a solution may be available then.

What a bummer. I figure they would have caught this before the car went into production. I see a recall on the horizon. I'm no expert, but it feels to me like the engine is out of balance. I am no new car wizzard, but if it were my 66 mustang, I would be checking A-the harmonic balancer B-the flexplate C-the torque converter D- Check the torque on the bolts of the torque converter.

My friend had a vibration in his car that was somewhat similar (1966 mustang w/ a C4 auto). We swapped the rear end, we changed the balancer, we did just about everything, and as it turns out, it was the bolts on the torque converter that were loose. I'm not saying that's the problem here, but I suspect that it's some type of balance issue. The engine is just not in balance.

If you take the car up to around 90 mph on the interstate, you will really feel it vibrating MUCH more noticeably, and some very strange rhythems start happening.

It may even be something like the crankshaft balances, ya know? Who knows, but I don't really see how an exhaust mod is going to fix this problem.

If it does, I'll be floored because I'll know the engine is solid. It just seems to be a MUCH heavier vibration than exhaust could cause. We'll see, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're right on that one miktvk
Old 1/27/05, 08:00 PM

I got my v6 premium in OCT have about 3200 miles on it, had some issues with it including the radio, small rattles in the dash, and the 800 RPM vibration. It only seems to do it when it is cold and mostly when I put the car in reverse. The dealer did install the "mounting kit" and seems to have helped but it is still there sometimes. I do not have the hesitation problem, however, and I do have the traction control. It seems that the car does have some quirks that need to be worked out. I can honestly say the dealership has been great and has given me a loaner while the car was in the shop. I really hope that enough people bring their problems in to the dealers so that Ford will do something about this. I love the car, but I would have waited for Ford to have all the kinks worked out before it hit the street.
Old 1/28/05, 05:34 AM
Bullitt Member

FYI, I have isolated most of the dash rattles in my car to the IUP. If you press on the aplique, it stops. You actually just have to touch it with very light pressure most times, and that will stop it. Sometimes, you can actually press the aplique down MORE and it will kill a rattle permanently. The only one I can't kill is the one on the far passenger's side. It's coming from the piece around the far passenger air vent by the door.It's almost like they didn't quite aply the IUP correctly or something.

Anyways... that's what causes MOST of the interior dash rattles in MY car. Hope this helps the rest of you isolate yours.
Old 1/28/05, 06:22 AM
GT Member

StangerX the vibration you are describing isn't what I have experienced. I have no vibration at all above 1500 RPM and as has been previously noted, it is a resonance and not actually a vibration. If you are having a heavy vibration especially at speed, I would get the car into a dealer before something comes apart. My car is silk smooth all the way to the speed limiter, could cruise there all day if Johnny law wasn't lurking. Sounds like you have a much more serious problem.
Old 1/29/05, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

05V6,
The car has been to the dealer twice now, and they have confirmed that it is in fact the "resonance" you are talking about. The car itself is smooth. I feel no vibration in the steering wheel. It's solid, and the car doesn't budge on the road.

This vibration is caused by a harmonic problem in either the engine, transmission, or in the exhaust system. I only notice it at 15-1600 RPM, not above that. The resonation travels through the car which causes it to feel like it is rumbling/shaking. The vibration occurs at any speed, even stopped and in park. However, I have noticed that when stopped and in park, it takes a little higher RPM in my car to achieve the vibration, and it is notably a different feel then when the engine is under load.

The car isn't unsafe to drive. I am, however, concerned about potential long term effects on the motor, should it turn out to be a mechanical resonance in the engine/transmission, and not an exhaust issue (which I am really praying that it is at this point).

Just a little carification.
Old 2/1/05, 09:36 PM

Has anyone spoke to a field engineer recently about the 800/1500 RPM vibration issue? Does anyone know of a TSB that is out about it yet? Has anyone been lucky to actually pinpoint the problem and fix it?
Old 2/2/05, 05:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

This concern is the subject of an ongoing engineering investigation, from what I understand from the hotline engineer. I have performed the service procedure to my car with some encouraging results. But the concern is not completely eliminated. I expect to see another repair procedure in the future. Will keep in contact with hotline and report anything I find.
Old 2/2/05, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Tiberious. My dealer told me a result could take as much as 5 months, but to check back in in April. I'm sure I'll hear an answer from you before I end up getting an answer out of my dealer.

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping an ear to the ground, and even more of a thanks for keeping us all posted on what you hear. It's a HUGE help.
Old 2/5/05, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

My pleasure!! This is easily the best group I have ever belonged to, and the thanks are very much appreciated.
Old 2/15/05, 08:41 PM

Just a question has anyone else experienced this with their 05 V6, When I hit anything over 65 mph I notice a slight rattling noise, sounds like it is coming from either the wheel wells or an area near the door. It sounds like it may be on both sides. Is this just tire and wind noise that I am experiencing or does it sound more serious. Any advice would be appreciated?
Old 2/15/05, 08:42 PM

Any news about the harmonic vibration TSB update? The vibration is really annoying.
Old 3/1/05, 03:26 AM
GT Member

Just a quick question to all of you that have been having the vibration problem; what octane do you use? I personally have been using 89 and haven't had a problem now for the first time I changed to 87 and dang in cam that vibration that everyone has been talking about so for me the next tank is going back to 89. Also noticed a drop in power and the whole sound of the car was different. You guys may want to check in to this.
Old 3/1/05, 09:21 PM

Is putting higher octane the answer? My only concern with that is that I beleive the engine is only rated for 87 octane. Won't putting in higher octane damage the engine?
Old 3/4/05, 12:33 PM
GT Member

no, it may not bu just a thought that may get rid of the problem,and no higher octane wil not dammage the engine.

Quick Reply: 1,500 RPM vibration