V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

1,500 RPM vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/04, 07:39 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phillip, yes my car has the traction control, that is a good point, it may very well be a problem in that system. Matt, has Ford acknowledge the hesitation problem exsists on the V6 ?
Old 12/15/04, 07:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My car does not have traction control system and I have not had a problem with the hesitation.

No word from Ford on this, I will update if I find out anything about this concern.

Both Mustang engines 4.0 & 4.6 have drive by wire throttle bodies installed.
Old 12/17/04, 11:27 PM
GT Member

Any word from Ford on this problem?
Old 12/18/04, 04:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ran Oasis report on concern-no messages or service bulletins at this time. Have not had time to contact tech hotline for assist. Will update further if I find information.
Old 12/18/04, 06:31 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Just FYI....My 05 V6 does not have traction control and it does not seem to have the problem. 1250 miles so far.
Old 12/18/04, 01:35 PM
GT Member

B) Yes, it does seem that the problem may be traction control related. A little early to tell at this point, we need Ford's input for sure on this. May be months before a trend develops.
Old 12/25/04, 01:35 PM
GT Member

I guess this thread kind of got HIJACKED, from the vibration problem to the hesitation/ Traction Control "connection". Well to get back to the initial post, what is the chatter at Ford concerning these problems? Or Is there any? I can't believe that other customers are not experiencing the same problems. I'll tell you, the vibration at 1500 is more of a problem for me. It is on the annoying side, that last thing I wanted from my new Mustang was an annoying vibration at just about 55 miles per hour. Sure hope the engineers address these issues, or at the very LEAST let us know they KNOW about them and are working the problem. This is a direct result of the "Fast Track" method of devolpment that Ford is using to cut cost. We the owners ARE doing the RD work for the factory, I have NO problem with doing that as long as there is something being down about these problems. If we look at the whole picture we have:
1) Vibration @ 1500
2)Hesitation
3) Won't take Fuel
4) Audio System problems
5) Rear End problems
6)Mis fire in the GT
7) Check Engine Lights
And this is just what three months into these cars hitting the road. Ford had better get on the ball.
Old 12/27/04, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Not to jog off topic again 05V6, but the gasoline problem is common? I keep forgetting to bring it up on here, but I have noticed that I can't seem to get gas in the car without it clicking off. It becomes a very fine art.

What are the details on that problem? I haven't seen anything on it yet (but then again, I'm a casual forum surfer).
Old 12/27/04, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

StangerX, I haven't see it either, and doing a search on "vent" returns way too many hits to be useful.

What you describe is what happens when the vent to the gas tank is blocked in some way.
Old 12/28/04, 05:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Just an observation on that for all interested parties, I happened upon a gas pump yesterday that did NOT have the plastic/vynal fume cover around it. It was only the metal hose with the spring. I filled up at full open with no problems. However, with every pump I have used (that I can recall) which HAS the cover around it, I experience the problem.

I'll be sure to keep a much closer eye on it now.

Oh...

Link to the forum posting I found that mentions the cover vs no cover: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...1236&hl=fueling
Old 1/1/05, 07:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by StangerX@December 28, 2004, 12:50 PM
Just an observation on that for all interested parties, I happened upon a gas pump yesterday that did NOT have the plastic/vynal fume cover around it. It was only the metal hose with the spring. I filled up at full open with no problems. However, with every pump I have used (that I can recall) which HAS the cover around it, I experience the problem.

I'll be sure to keep a much closer eye on it now.

Oh...

Link to the forum posting I found that mentions the cover vs no cover: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...1236&hl=fueling
StangerX, when I was selling Volvo's, the newer models would all occasionally have the gas filling problem you describe. Volvo said it had something to do with govt safety requirements with fill tubes and ventilation in the gas tank which would create a kind of back-pressure. Also, this is apparently not uncommon for newer cars in general, not just Volvos and Mustangs.

Volvos' answer.......get used to it.
Old 1/4/05, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

I have heard Ford is aware of the fueling problems and is working on a fix, but no ETA. It is apparently widespread and may vary between pumps even at the same gas station.
Old 1/5/05, 07:53 AM

I have two new updates in regards to the vibration and hesitation. I had not noticed vibration @1500 rpm because I hit 1500 rpms at about 30 mph. Recently while driving on a smooth highway with no radio on I did feel and hear a slight vibration at 65 mph, but my rpms were at almost 3000. I have had my car 05 v6 in the shop for the hesitation already and they supposedly re-calibrated the computer, didn't help. But do you all think maybe it messed with my rpm readings? Second, I recently was driving on the highway at night and when I came to a complete stop at a 4way, I had the hesitation and I noticed that all the interior and headlamps flickered.
Old 1/12/05, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok folks, I finally broke down and took my stang to the dealership for some much needed repairs. A little nip here, and a tuck there.

I had a laundry list of items that needed fixing, of which only 2 or 3 of these items were major (what I would consider major).

The 2 bigges problems I was experiencing were the 1500 RPM vibration, and my car actually aquired a little squeek in the power steering when you turned the wheel.

On those 2 issues, the Service manager told me this:

His main focus right now is the 1500 RPM vibration. It's obviously the most major of the problems. He did call the Ford Hotline, and they said it is a known issue.

He told me Ford e-mailed him a 4-5 page document suggesting things to examine and offering solutions. He told me that he only glanced at the list, and was having another service tech read over the documents with a fine tooth comb.

The 3 major repairs he mentioned that might need to take place were:
1) Transmission Mounts
2) Engine Mounts
3) Exhaust Baffles

So could there be a problem with the exhaust system that is leading to the vibration at the said RPM range? Dunno. He said the tech was going to run down the 4-5 pages of suggestions today and he would likely call me in the AM to let me know what they found out.

As far as the Power Steering squeek, he said they DID notice the squeek, but that Ford had no posted bullitins at this time. He told me that they lubed the rubber grommets at the firewall to see if it was being caused by it rubbing on the shaft. I knew that wasn't it from the start. It feels almost like a PS PUMP whine, ya know? Little singing vibration. It's very soft. He mentioned something about changing springs of some sorts.

I told him I'm really interrested in what these problems are, and I want to stay posted on what they find out. I'll be sure to mention that I have a lot of anxious owners that I talk to who are also experiencing the problem, but have no solution as of yet.

I'll keep you all posted on what I find out as I learn more from the dealership.
Old 1/12/05, 10:22 PM
GT Member

I don't notice a vibration, but I do notice the slight hesitation from a stop, unless, I step on it.
Old 1/13/05, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I really think I only notice the vibration because of a rattle that shows up behind the center of the dash, although, the vibration in my car is pretty noticeable. The car isn't smooth at 1500 RPM. In my car, the Vibration isn't too noticeable if you just accelerate. You feel it briefly. If you put the car on 15-1600 RPM and keep it there, I notice it because it's constant.
Old 1/13/05, 08:42 AM
GT Member

I have a manual trans and don’t have any vibration at all, no hesitation and no traction control at all installed in my stang. The only thing that I have had a beef with ford about is the speed limiter. But the service tech told me that the speed issue would have to be taken care of by an after market fix.(does not void any warranty)..
Old 1/13/05, 10:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by sviper@January 13, 2005, 9:45 AM
I have a manual trans and don’t have any vibration at all, no hesitation and no traction control at all installed in my stang. The only thing that I have had a beef with ford about is the speed limiter. But the service tech told me that the speed issue would have to be taken care of by an after market fix.(does not void any warranty)..
Just wondering where and how often you would be going over 110 MPH?
Old 1/14/05, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Picked my car back up from the dealer yesterday. I gotta tell you, I MISSED it! They gave me a Focus loaner car... wow... really makes you appreciate a well built brand new car!

Anyways, the issue with the vibration is definately at the forefront. The service manager is the only person at the dealership that will talk to me about the car... even for simple questions. He told me that Ford called him first thing yesterday morning to see if the solutions they offered worked. Apparently, they are very interrested in finding out what works on this problem.

He had run down the diagnostics checks, but he needs parts to continue the troubleshooting. They are on order, and he will have them next week to attempt to resolve the issue. Apparently, he really thinks it is an exhaust issue. He said that he has ordered some type of baffle or replacement for a baffle in the exhaust system. I'll find out more when he gets the part in and knows what has to be done exactly.

Hopefully this kills the problem. Like I said, he seems very confident that it's an exhaust issue. We'll see soon enough.

As for the rest of my problems, he hasn't really tackled them. I'm guessing that after they polish off the vibration issue (if they can) that they'll move forward with the other items.

Time will tell, and I'll keep you all posted.
Old 1/17/05, 10:23 AM
GT Member

I don't go over 110 that often but would like to be able to. and anyways that is off the subject. I have a little streach of unused road, nice smooth and flat for about 5+mi here in deep sout texas!

Quick Reply: 1,500 RPM vibration