GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Yet another SCT Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/08, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another SCT Tuner Question

OK, thus far other than a few appearance modifications, my performance modifications have been pretty much non-existent. I've only added Flowmaster axle backs (which is basically for sound only) and a BBK CIA. After some debating, I've decided that my next modification will be purchasing an SCT Tuner (either the xCal 2 or the xCal 3) and a set of FMS 4.10 gears. Not knowing a lot.....make that knowing NOTHING about computer tuning a car, I'm not sure how it all works. My plan is to order the SCT tuner the next week or so, then add the gears some time in early April. So my question is, can I add then tune to my car now and then change the gear ratio in the computer with the stock out of the box tuner? Will I need a custom tune for the gear? What all factors do I need to consider? Any help from anyone would be most helpful.
Old 2/24/08, 05:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's my understanding you don't need a "custom tune" for you gears, per say, but you will need to adjust the gear ratio in the tuner for the speedometer to be correct. I assume if you order from one of the many custom tuners on this site, they can send you a "plug and play" set up.
Old 2/24/08, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had my 4.10's installed Friday, and changed the rear end ratio with the XCal 2 today. Very simple. Just go in to load the tune, yes to change user parameters, page through to rear end ratio, then scroll to the proper gear ratio. Save changes, load tune.....

This is the first time I changed any of the user parameters with the tuner. No issue......

Mike