GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

WTF is up with 3rd gear on 08 GTs?

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/08, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmph, I had a 3rd gear grind a couple of times when it was really cold, could have sworn clutch was 100%, but not every time I drove. Unfortunately with it warming up now it's not happening which means I'll have to wait till next year to have it looked at. All you guys having your tranny rebuilt / replaced is making me a bit worried.
Old 3/1/08, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs08GT
Hmph, I had a 3rd gear grind a couple of times when it was really cold, could have sworn clutch was 100%, but not every time I drove. Unfortunately with it warming up now it's not happening which means I'll have to wait till next year to have it looked at. All you guys having your tranny rebuilt / replaced is making me a bit worried.
Hey, if it's not grinding, it's not grinding. Just make sure to get it inspected before the warranty is up.
Old 3/1/08, 05:51 PM

Definitely will do Glad ford is offering 60,000 powertrain now
Old 3/1/08, 11:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs08GT
Definitely will do Glad ford is offering 60,000 powertrain now
Ooooh sweet! I thought it was 36k....
Old 3/2/08, 12:41 AM
Cobra R Member

well, just to follow up with you guys, talked to the dealer and they confirmed that there is something definitely not right, and most likely the tranny will be replaced, but first they have to do all their routine preliminary troubleshooting.
Old 3/2/08, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone know if rental car is covered by the factory warranty? When I was at the dealer having the recall/TSB and the 3rd gear grind issue investigated they refused my request for a rental saying that was only covered by a extended factory warranty.
Does this sound right? I am going in tomorrow to get my new tranny put on and I would think they should supply me with a rental no?.
I had the front fender painted when i bought it due to dealer lot damage and they gave me a rental then, I dont see the difference now.
Old 3/2/08, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Etnix
Anyone know if rental car is covered by the factory warranty? When I was at the dealer having the recall/TSB and the 3rd gear grind issue investigated they refused my request for a rental saying that was only covered by a extended factory warranty.
Does this sound right? I am going in tomorrow to get my new tranny put on and I would think they should supply me with a rental no?.
I had the front fender painted when i bought it due to dealer lot damage and they gave me a rental then, I dont see the difference now.
They paid for mine... not sure if it was covered by warranty or the dealer. Sounds like they may be trying to sell you an extended warranty....
Old 3/3/08, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
They paid for mine... not sure if it was covered by warranty or the dealer. Sounds like they may be trying to sell you an extended warranty....
I am quite unhappy after my visit/drop off with the dealership this morning. First I find out that thy will not give me a loaner but offered to pay half, still $14 a day, and now they went from saying they would be replacing the transmition, to needing the car for a week so they can investigate and rebuild it. They say that Ford would not authorize a new transmition.
I called ford customer service and they verified that only the extended warranty covers a loaner car. My main issue is I am not happy about having a 08 model vehicle, with 10k miles on it and a rebuilt tranny. I was much happier when I was under the assumption they would be replacing it. It makes me sick to my stomach actually.
So, I did not leave them the car, I wanted to do some research before I did.
I was hoping maybe some of the people that have also posted here with this issue and if you got your tranny replaced can you pm me with your service ticket numbers? I think Ill try calling FORD and arguing my case with proof that others have also had the same issue.
Old 3/3/08, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am quite unhappy after my visit/drop off with the dealership this morning. First I find out that thy will not give me a loaner but offered to pay half, still $14 a day, and now they went from saying they would be replacing the transmition, to needing the car for a week so they can investigate and rebuild it. They say that Ford would not authorize a new transmition.
I called ford customer service and they verified that only the extended warranty covers a loaner car. My main issue is I am not happy about having a 08 model vehicle, with 10k miles on it and a rebuilt tranny. I was much happier when I was under the assumption they would be replacing it. It makes me sick to my stomach actually.
I was hoping maybe some of the people that have also posted here with this issue and if you got your tranny replaced can you pm me with your service ticket numbers? I think Ill try calling FORD and arguing my case with proof that others have also had the same issue.

Ouch, sorry to hear they're being unreasonable... and talk about poor customer service. Hope it works out for you.
Old 3/3/08, 08:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Dixie, did you get your tranny rebuilt or replaced?
Old 3/3/08, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

You can always take it to another dealer! With 10K on odometer they should still give you a loaner. When I negotiated my car I made sure they gave me a loaner for as long as I own the car.(In writing of course!) this covers all but oil changes. Ford will always rebuild 1st. good luck
Old 3/3/08, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dixie, did you get your tranny rebuilt or replaced?
They rebuilt it. Replaced some parts. From the service receipt it also looked like they had to correct Ford's shop and online service manuals for transmission dissassembly/reassembly and clutch hydraulic line bleeding.

When I picked it up the clutch wasn't fully bled out and there was only about 2" of clutch travel to shift with. Talk about a nice race feeling, hehe! After 30 minutes it returned to normal, I'm assuming it bled out normally, and hasn't been an issue for the past 300 miles.

That is the only thing I can mark as a negative. I now have confidence in the transmission for the first time since buying the car. With the rebuild I had people who know what the inside of the transmisison is supposed to look like fix the problems. A new transmission may have had the same problem? On the other hand, I'm now convinced this is a very small problem out of all the TR3650s since the service manager had never seen this transmission messed up like that with only 3k miles on it.

I'm with RunningWild4.6 - they should give you a loaner, they'll have to order the parts and you'll be without your car for about a week. I'm assuming you bought the car there? Go to the sales manager and discuss your concerns with him... I'd think his pride would help correct the mistake as well. And if not, well go to another dealer. Service is where they make a lot of their money.
Old 3/3/08, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
They rebuilt it. Replaced some parts. From the service receipt it also looked like they had to correct Ford's shop and online service manuals for transmission dissassembly/reassembly and clutch hydraulic line bleeding.

When I picked it up the clutch wasn't fully bled out and there was only about 2" of clutch travel to shift with. Talk about a nice race feeling, hehe! After 30 minutes it returned to normal, I'm assuming it bled out normally, and hasn't been an issue for the past 300 miles.

That is the only thing I can mark as a negative. I now have confidence in the transmission for the first time since buying the car. With the rebuild I had people who know what the inside of the transmisison is supposed to look like fix the problems. A new transmission may have had the same problem? On the other hand, I'm now convinced this is a very small problem out of all the TR3650s since the service manager had never seen this transmission messed up like that with only 3k miles on it.

I'm with RunningWild4.6 - they should give you a loaner, they'll have to order the parts and you'll be without your car for about a week. I'm assuming you bought the car there? Go to the sales manager and discuss your concerns with him... I'd think his pride would help correct the mistake as well. And if not, well go to another dealer. Service is where they make a lot of their money.
So far all they will do is make me pay for 1/2 of the rental car per day. I am going to take it to another ford dealer tomorrow, and see how my service is there.
Old 3/3/08, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

good luck and let us know how ou faired!
Old 6/23/08, 03:29 PM
GT Member

See post 86 and 88 in this thread for the TSB in regard to the gear clashing issue.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...=462879&page=5
Old 6/24/08, 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I switched the ATF to Redline High Temp ATF and never have a problem in the cold when shifting quickly. I recall my 3650 acting up a bit with the factory fluid, but I've logged over 5000 miles with the Redline and the 3650 is butter smooth.
Old 6/24/08, 11:53 AM
GT Member

Good luck trying to get a resolution guys. Hate to say it but you just entered the 3650 zone!
Try looking at the SN95 guys. SAME PROBLEMS, NO RESOLUTION.
Some cars have the problem, some don't but, it IS a common issue among Mustang owners, and I for one have given up on trying do anything about it. The best advice I can give you is, push as hard as you can to get a replacement trans since (in most cases) rebuilding doesn't provide a permanent fix.
Had mine rebuilt at the dealer, made it shift smooth for a couple days and then it was back to the 1-2 and 2-3 grind. tried several different fluids, several different fill levels, different shifters. None of them solved the problem. The trans is simply a POS and Ford really doesn't want to fix the problem. The "key" is getting a dealership service dept. that will actually work with you rather than against you. You manage that, you may stand a chance of getting satisfaction. Don't get me wrong, I love my car but if I could figure a way to fix that transmission, I'm not sure I'd ever sell the car. But there ARE days that the trans makes me think of dumping the car, or even worse...installing an automatic!!!!!
Old 6/24/08, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine is an 07 and I replaced the shifter with Steeda sports shifter. Never had a mis shift or shift grind ever since. Pretty cheap and easy to install.

Here is the link on steeda's website:

http://steeda.com/products/steeda_sp...r_assembly.php
Old 6/24/08, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I switched the ATF to Redline High Temp ATF and never have a problem in the cold when shifting quickly. I recall my 3650 acting up a bit with the factory fluid, but I've logged over 5000 miles with the Redline and the 3650 is butter smooth.

Originally Posted by project_v6
Mine is an 07 and I replaced the shifter with Steeda sports shifter. Never had a mis shift or shift grind ever since. Pretty cheap and easy to install.

Here is the link on steeda's website:

http://steeda.com/products/steeda_sp...r_assembly.php
all this means is you are one of the lucky ones who did not have the issue at all. If you did, regardless of your fluid used , or aftermarket shifter you may try it does not solve the issue and you still get the grind.

If you have it, the best thing to do is let the dealer rebuild it unfortunatly.

Stop trying to get these people who have the issue to spend money on changing parts/ fluids when all they have to do is go to the dealer. When I had this issue last winter there was no TSB so it was a $@!#$ to get this issue resolved, and when you buy a brand new car and your transmition has a major grinding issue its very concerning and heart breaking really.

Get the issue fixed THEN go put in new tranny fluid and aftermarket shifters. imo

Last edited by Etnix; 6/24/08 at 12:18 PM.
Old 6/24/08, 01:31 PM
GT Member

If you have it, the best thing to do is let the dealer rebuild it unfortunatly.

Stop trying to get these people who have the issue to spend money on changing parts/ fluids when all they have to do is go to the dealer.
+1

Quick Reply: WTF is up with 3rd gear on 08 GTs?