GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

WTF is up with 3rd gear on 08 GTs?

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/08, 06:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF is up with 3rd gear on 08 GTs?

I occasionally grind my 2-3 shift on my 08 Cs/GT when speed shifting. This was NEVER an issue on my 05. The 08 shifter is definately stiffer, but unlike my 05, it seems like the clutch pedal has to be 100% in to complete the shift.

Is this normal?
Old 2/25/08, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the same question about my 07.
Old 2/25/08, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I dunno exactly why the stock shifters tend to bind while powershifting but I can tell you what the fix is. http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang2005_shifter.shtml
Old 2/26/08, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

No, it's not the shifter.

Take your car in to a dealer for warranty work, it's the transmission. I've heard that some transmissions didn't get some syncros lubricated from the Tremec factory.

I've had the exact same problem since the day I bought mine, have 2,800 miles on it, and the dealer service department is now rebuilding my transmission and replacing 2nd gear. They said 2nd was toast. I am very gentle on cars and have about 75,000 miles experience with manual transmissions of varying qualities.

Once you get the transmission fixed, or at least documented with the service reps for warranty work, then go get the MGW. Definitely looking forward to getting one of those shifters.

EDIT: they said 2nd was toast, even though I was getting the grind going into 3rd. I'm guessing that means the syncros weren't helping mesh the gear on the way out. That grind you're getting is basically as if you just yanked the transmission out of gear without even using the clutch....
Old 2/26/08, 09:29 AM
Cobra R Member

well, that sucks! I guess I'd better get it taken care of asap.

thanks
Old 2/26/08, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rebel73
I occasionally grind my 2-3 shift on my 08 Cs/GT when speed shifting. This was NEVER an issue on my 05. The 08 shifter is definately stiffer, but unlike my 05, it seems like the clutch pedal has to be 100% in to complete the shift.

Is this normal?
Is it only while the engine/tranny is cold? Or does this happen after you've warmed up completely?

Happens to me cold every day. I don't know what speed shifting is, but I just move the shifter in a zig-zag instead of pushing it in a smooth diagonal direction, until it warms up.
Old 2/26/08, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
No, it's not the shifter.

Take your car in to a dealer for warranty work, it's the transmission. I've heard that some transmissions didn't get some syncros lubricated from the Tremec factory.

I've had the exact same problem since the day I bought mine, have 2,800 miles on it, and the dealer service department is now rebuilding my transmission and replacing 2nd gear. They said 2nd was toast. I am very gentle on cars and have about 75,000 miles experience with manual transmissions of varying qualities.

Once you get the transmission fixed, or at least documented with the service reps for warranty work, then go get the MGW. Definitely looking forward to getting one of those shifters.

EDIT: they said 2nd was toast, even though I was getting the grind going into 3rd. I'm guessing that means the syncros weren't helping mesh the gear on the way out. That grind you're getting is basically as if you just yanked the transmission out of gear without even using the clutch....
Hmm, interesting. But if that were to be true then that would imply that we should still get the grind going from 2-4? Or 2-5?
Old 2/26/08, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Hmm, interesting. But if that were to be true then that would imply that we should still get the grind going from 2-4? Or 2-5?
Hrmm, don't look at me, that's what the service department manager told me. Also a GT500 owner on a different board told me it was an issue on the GT500s. Different transmission model but same transmission manufacturer, probably same machine that failed to lubricate the splines.

As far as how I understand syncros to work (watch the video), there are seperate syncros for each gear, an input and an output syncro (one on each side). They help mesh the gears so the rotational speeds aren't mismatched when the gear teeth engage (crunch!!!) So if the syncros on one gear aren't working, you're going to get some fun stuff going on when you shift.
Old 2/26/08, 02:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Is it only while the engine/tranny is cold? Or does this happen after you've warmed up completely?

Happens to me cold every day. I don't know what speed shifting is, but I just move the shifter in a zig-zag instead of pushing it in a smooth diagonal direction, until it warms up.
warm or cold...

something's definately not right. I've been driving nothing but manual for 17 years, PLUS this is my second s197, so back to the dealer it goes.

My definition of speed shifting is a rapid, simultaneous actuation of the clutch and gas pedals and gear shift. Commonly referred to as "banging through the gears".

Some also call this power shifting, but to me that means never letting off the gas while doing the aforementioned. Much harder on the tranny, I think.
Old 2/26/08, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's exactly what mine was doing. I'm guessing from what they told me that if I had let it go long enough it would have completely broken 2nd gear. I found, like others here and elsewhere, that pausing between 2nd and 3rd decidedly decreased the frequency of the gear crunch. Except when it was 10 below. Then it was my fault for not staying home that morning.
Old 2/26/08, 02:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
That's exactly what mine was doing. I'm guessing from what they told me that if I had let it go long enough it would have completely broken 2nd gear. I found, like others here and elsewhere, that pausing between 2nd and 3rd decidedly decreased the frequency of the gear crunch. Except when it was 10 below. Then it was my fault for not staying home that morning.
yes, you are correct...pausing between the 2-3 shift decreases or eliminates the crunching, but we shouldn't have to!
Old 2/26/08, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
but we shouldn't have to!
Exactly.
Old 2/26/08, 06:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
3rd gear never grinds in my 07 GT, nor do any other gears. Oh wait, I have the 5R55S automatic - my bad!

My 03 Mach 1 had the Tremec 5-speed manual and the 3rd gear grind. Had the trans rebuilt under warranty.
Old 2/26/08, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is the grind you are talking about something you actually hear, or just feel through the shift lever??

When it's really cold out and the trans. is cold I'll get kind of a "nip" when I shift from 2nd to 3rd but its something I feel, not hear. After a few cycles of shifting it goes away. Now when pushing through the gears hard, I've had trouble actually trying to get it to shift into 3rd from second...almost like it's locked out. Seems like the higher the RPM, the more difficult it is to make it engage. The downshift from 4th to 3rd is smooth as silk though
Old 2/26/08, 07:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Know the feeling with 2nd to 3rd. I will admit, the MGW has made it much better.
Old 2/26/08, 08:56 PM
GT Member

My 2nd to 3rd shift in my 08 Bullitt grinds too. Only when its cold though. It even ground when doing the zig zag into third. Once the car warms up I don't have any problems with shifting. I only have 300 miles on the car and have done the grind three times so far.
Old 2/26/08, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This sounds just like the problem I have except mine is the 1-2 shift and only when cold. I find myself going 1-3 when it's cold, then 10 minutes in, it's all normal again.
Old 2/26/08, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ow, sorry to hear it's infected the transmissions on the Bullitts too. I was hoping this was a limited problem, but I think in about a year the dealerships are going to be very used to these.

In fact the dealership I brought mine to didn't even ask any questions. Left it overnight so it would be cold for them in the morning and when I heard back from them they said they were going to need the car for a few days. Later I found out more about it, but absolutely no questions about it so far.

In the googling I've done on "TR-3650", this issue seems to be a hallmark of the 3650. I'm beginning to worry a rebuild won't solve the problem permanently. Would saving up for a T-56 and F/I make sense now?

GTMark052: The grind was very much felt & heard, it felt like I was holding a gigantic dentist's drill and was high speed drilling into a tooth - the noise and feel just kind of shot straight up my arm and chilled me. brrr.
Old 2/27/08, 12:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been driving manuals since 1961 and this is the first I've ever heard of pre-lubricating a gear. I've pre-lubricated crank bearings and camshafts in an engine rebuild but when rebuilding my BW T-10, my Bronco's Mazda 5 speed, and my Saginaw 4 speed I never had to pre-lubricate any gears other than the pinion gear and that was only to keep the needle bearings in place during the install. Once a tranny is installed and filled with gear oil it is pretty much lubricated throughout. There is no pump in a manual tranny that needs to pressure lubricate any parts like in the engine.

I've never been into my Tremec but I can't imagine it being vastly different from other trannys I've worked on. The first/second shift uses one yoke and the third/fourth shift uses another yoke. In shifting from second to third you are changing yokes and therein may be your problem. It can be compounded with the shifter bind at higher RPMs. If you are having warrantee work then ask to keep or at least inspect the damaged parts.

Good luck

Bob
Old 2/27/08, 12:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a 08 GT and in the cold I grind from 2-3 also.., it really sucks.

not an issue when it is warm

Quick Reply: WTF is up with 3rd gear on 08 GTs?