GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

WMS Ram-Air Tray Installed

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/05, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While this thread is up here...

The Jet TB spacer came, so I installed it real quick to see the clearence issue with the MAF plug. I was right, it moves the plug just inside the box. Luckily I had the extra inches in the MAF wiring with some to spare. I routed it inside the enclosure I made, and now all of the exposed MAF sits in the box....perfect.

Next issue will be the filter fitment under the hood. I know I was pretty tight before, now that it's moved forward an inch, it will be close. I'll know for sure in a few weeks.

Might be good to check your hood clearence with the WMS and Jet spacer before slamming shut the first time...

[attachmentid=33266][attachmentid=33267]
Old 9/9/05, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

pretty creative indeed!!!
Old 9/11/05, 11:43 PM
Bullitt Member

installed intake and tray today drove around kind of hard and then felt the air tray and everything else and it felt warm is this OK
Old 9/12/05, 06:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I installed the intake with ram yesterday. It took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, went slow and took my time being a "first timer" and all. I had the help of some friends, one a mechanic and another an electrical engineer who's done extensive work on his Evo. They helped out but also let me do the work and just made sure I didn't mess up.

The work is pretty simple and straight forward. If I had to do it again it wouldn't take as long but I never before had drained coolant or cut hoses or wires etc. So again, I took my time, followed the directions and all was good. The longest part of the install was lining the underside of the ram tray with the NASA shielding.

Only two trips to Autozone, once for a pan for the coolant to drain into (I forgot to have this) and then one time for some more butt connectors as I crimped an end of one but not very well and the wire came out so it was ruined (WMS does not supply any extras).

The moment of truth came and I started the car. No check engine light, no leaks of coolant, temp gauge stayed right where it always was, just a bit less than half way. Let her warm up, time for a road test.

The butt dyno is very happy. And the sound, wow, so much throatier up front. I really put her through her paces all the while keeping a close eye on the temp gauge; it didn't move at all. I even happened to get challenged by a Camaro SS ('96? I think, white with red stripes) while on this test run. Merging about 40MPH onto Rt 21 south from 3 East he cut around me and floored it. I accelerated and easily caught him but he blocked me when he changed lanes. I took her up to about 100 but kept having to back off to avoid running over the Camaro. On the way back took a route which had traffic to see how she was when not getting fed cold air at speed. Went just fine! Temp gauge stayed put, never moved during the test run which is normal as it doesn't move during my normal "spirited" driving and the car responded very well.

On a side note, to my amazement, even though the battery was disconnected, I didn't lose any of my radio station presets.

David, mine felt some what warm afterwards. It by no means was hot to the touch but was just where it should be I believe. I think it was reported ambient temp was in the 60s with this and that's about what it felt like. I'm very happy with mine.

EDIT: Forgot to mention increased gas mileage. Before install I reset my mpg indicator when I got on the hwy to do the install. Got 25-27 at about 65MPH (it reached 27.5 but I was exiting so I don't know how much higher it would've gone).
On the way home after install I again reset the mpg indicator for the hwy and got 31-33MPG at 65MPH. The hwy trip was about 20 miles each way.
Old 9/12/05, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by blackhat97@September 12, 2005, 6:00 AM
Well I installed the intake with ram yesterday. It took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, went slow and took my time being a "first timer" and all. I had the help of some friends, one a mechanic and another an electrical engineer who's done extensive work on his Evo. They helped out but also let me do the work and just made sure I didn't mess up.

The work is pretty simple and straight forward. If I had to do it again it wouldn't take as long but I never before had drained coolant or cut hoses or wires etc. So again, I took my time, followed the directions and all was good. The longest part of the install was lining the underside of the ram tray with the NASA shielding.

Only two trips to Autozone, once for a pan for the coolant to drain into (I forgot to have this) and then one time for some more butt connectors as I crimped an end of one but not very well and the wire came out so it was ruined (WMS does not supply any extras).
The moment of truth came and I started the car. No check engine light, no leaks of coolant, temp gauge stayed right where it always was, just a bit less than half way. Let her warm up, time for a road test.

The butt dyno is very happy. And the sound, wow, so much throatier up front. I really put her through her paces all the while keeping a close eye on the temp gauge; it didn't move at all. I even happened to get challenged by a Camaro SS ('96? I think, white with red stripes) while on this test run. Merging about 40MPH onto Rt 21 south from 3 East he cut around me and floored it. I accelerated and easily caught him but he blocked me when he changed lanes. I took her up to about 100 but kept having to back off to avoid running over the Camaro. On the way back took a route which had traffic to see how she was when not getting fed cold air at speed. Went just fine! Temp gauge stayed put, never moved during the test run which is normal as it doesn't move during my normal "spirited" driving and the car responded very well.

On a side note, to my amazement, even though the battery was disconnected, I didn't lose any of my radio station presets.

David, mine felt some what warm afterwards. It by no means was hot to the touch but was just where it should be I believe. I think it was reported ambient temp was in the 60s with this and that's about what it felt like. I'm very happy with mine.

EDIT: Forgot to mention increased gas mileage. Before install I reset my mpg indicator when I got on the hwy to do the install. Got 25-27 at about 65MPH (it reached 27.5 but I was exiting so I don't know how much higher it would've gone).
On the way home after install I again reset the mpg indicator for the hwy and got 31-33MPG at 65MPH. The hwy trip was about 20 miles each way.
Sweet! I especially like the MPG gains!

I'll be interested in seeing some dyno numbers once someone with the WMS and "NASA approved" ram air tray spends some quality time with a tuner who will try to get the most out of this setup.
Old 9/12/05, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Way to go Mike Your right in saying it sounds throatier, I did notice that as well. Glad to hear the install went smooth,pretty straight forward indeed.Did you leave enough length on the MAF wiring for the TBS?
That camaro will get his, he was scared of ya'
[attachmentid=33587]

I've been looking over the reservoir bracket, It could be shorter by an inch, I might do this also. It would be nice to "squeeze" that reservoir in the inner fender....already checked lol
Old 9/12/05, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

blackhat, you don't have a tuner? Also, thanks for the post and PM.
Old 9/12/05, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by GOFISCH@September 12, 2005, 7:59 PM
blackhat, you don't have a tuner? Also, thanks for the post and PM.

Anytime

Nope, no tuner. I couldn't afford the group buy on the tuner after getting the intake w/ram. I'm saving my money and will either go with a canned tune or what I'd really like is to go to JDM and do a dyno tune. Haven't looked into the cost of that though. I will tune but right now, it sure runs sweet!
Old 9/13/05, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05STG1@September 12, 2005, 12:30 PM
Way to go Mike Your right in saying it sounds throatier, I did notice that as well. Glad to hear the install went smooth,pretty straight forward indeed.Did you leave enough length on the MAF wiring for the TBS?
That camaro will get his, he was scared of ya'
[attachmentid=33587]

I've been looking over the reservoir bracket, It could be shorter by an inch, I might do this also. It would be nice to "squeeze" that reservoir in the inner fender....already checked lol
That photo is hysterical... If only I had a chevy guy that was also computer savy to send it to... <chuckle>

Mike E
Old 9/19/05, 09:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 05stangkc@September 7, 2005, 7:34 PM
I really Like this Setup. I would bet with The Street Scenes Center Fog Grille in Place you could Pull a Bit more cool air in! Maybe run some Ducting from the Front of the Setup down to the Lower Grille. It would be further away from the Radiator. The Specs are Impressive as Far as Passing Power Improvement. I wonder does anybody have any before and after Quarter Mile Times.

kc
Hey Kevion,
Do you have a link for the street scene grill you are refering to?
Old 9/19/05, 10:14 PM
Bullitt Member

While this thread is up here:
For those interested.

Recieved the call from Outerwears pre-filters today, and they will be sending my WMS filter back some time this week they say. Its the one that they used for a custom piece and will be available for anyone else that wants one for their WMS filter.They will be available in colors, but I have no idea which ones. I PAID for Blue.

It's kinda rude they still are still charging me the full price of 34.65 and even an unspecified amount for shipping back my filter and their sock...! How's that for a thanks from Outerwears ...laughable
Trust me, I wasnt expecting a deal (would have been nice). Its not like these things are expensive, I just dont like the way they handled this.

Enough advertising for them, Anyone that wants one, call them. I dont have their number, they called me.
Old 9/19/05, 10:45 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With service like that, I think I'll wait a while to see if I have any problems with the filter exposed. Hopefully there'll be a surprise in the box, like a gift certificate for $34.65.
Old 9/20/05, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Thats cheap of them.

Anyone else install theirs? I'm thinking about cancelling my order. The tune results are so inferior to the stated claims of WMS.
Old 9/20/05, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GOFISCH@September 20, 2005, 9:14 AM
Thats cheap of them.

Anyone else install theirs? I'm thinking about cancelling my order. The tune results are so inferior to the stated claims of WMS.
I have mine but haven't had a chance to install it yet.

I understand why you would want to cancel your order with the lack of support/canned tuning for them.

I'm going to hang in there and don't believe that this setup doesn't have the potential to provide gains similar to any of the other CAIs with a tune, while sitting still on a dyno.
Old 9/20/05, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

05GT-O.C.D.,

KARMA bro...it comes and goes, no worries And Im sure no coupon either lol But at the least..., Blackhat should have gotten one for all the setup he did of this and time spent emailing back and forth to them.
It only cost me (so far) 2 weeks no ride w/ the ROUSH, next day air shipment there, a 35 dollar sock, and of course...shipment back to the GREEK... priceless lol

WMS people..We will need these socks for sure, I had bugs on my filter, and enough over time to not want to deal with cleaning it out.So buy it once, and be done with it. It should be like a K&N and last a long darn time...
...but the rubbing on the hood liner might dis-color the pre-filters somewhat, and maybe wear it out.
Live and learn gentlemen, we shall see

GOFISCH,

Like king said, it has potential. And it flows well. If your worried about the tune, wait a little longer, and Im sure some will pop up. I know Im heading to JDM for a SCT tune. Maybe that SCT tune would be available, not sure how that works. But yes, very low numbers as compared to what we expected, but then again...its getting better.

King,
Your right it does have potential, and its a new product. As I said above, Im looking forward to the JDM tune. Remember, I gained almost 10 peak HP bolting on the air kit, and that was without a tune, and the A/F ratio within stock range (no mandated tune required), and no ram-tray either (yes, not needed on the dyno, but it is when the fan kicks on!).
This was of course without any tune thrown to it, only fixing the throttle response is all I did for the moment.
Old 9/20/05, 05:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey guys, haven't been on here lately, my counterpart at work is on vaca and I've been doing double work. Only one more week to go :bang:

I PAID for a pre-filter too. I e/m'd back and forth with Steve trying to get one free out of him so 05STG1 would be compensated for his time and effort. S, I tried, even spoke with him on the phone and he wouldn't go for it. I really appreciate you sending yours. I know you're having withdrawals from driving it but at least you were able to get your battery relocated! I paid the same as you, also in blue . S/b here sometime next week. I believe the colors offered are: red, blue, orange, yellow, green, and black. I will follow up and confirm.

Driving around it definately feels much faster and pulls really strong. Like when I first got the car and wasn't used to how fast I got to 80MPH, same thing again; 80MPH comes up faster than I expect. Around town during obedient driving the car feels great and I'm amazed at how quickly the mpg indicator is to rise. I'm a lead foot and have fun with this car. Since April I've always had about 287 to empty after a fill up. Once I got just over 300 but I was careful for that tank full. With the WMS installed and my driving habits normal (heavy) I get 327 to empty now after I fill up. I'm sure if I'm careful I can get even more. Of course I didn't get this for the MPG gains and I'm cancelling them out with my right foot but it's nice to see.

I really think this intake will take wonderfully to the California Dream Ram Air hood from RKsport. I love that hood and wonder how to reroute the underside tubing to feed the WMS intake. It looks like it is raised in the center between the intakes which is right where the WMS sits so it'd fit nicely

K sorry for the long post.
Old 9/20/05, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by blackhat97@September 20, 2005, 4:37 PM
With the WMS installed and my driving habits normal (heavy) I get 327 to empty now after I fill up.
Any chance the improvement is because you are running a bit lean?
Old 9/20/05, 05:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by don_w@September 20, 2005, 7:43 PM
Any chance the improvement is because you are running a bit lean?

I don't know, good question. :scratch: I want to say 'no' because from what I understand the WMS doesn't affect the A/F ratio, keeps it at what it was stock. But I could very easily be wrong b/c I don't have any data logging equip. I haven't done any tunes to it yet, can or dyno so I dunno I'm sure it's possible?
Old 9/20/05, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not 100% convinced that any CAI can increase airflow, without somehow affecting the A/F ratio. Some may affect it more than others, but it seems to me that it couldn't stay "stock". What would be the point of the CAI then? Just thinking out loud here...
Old 9/20/05, 07:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think it's a good discussion and worth pursuing. I got about an extra 40 miles to the tank and the car has a 16 gallon tank. So I used 16 gallons to go an extra 40 miles which equals 2.5MPG increase. Is that considered a lot, marginal, or the norm when installing an intake?

I know nothing about data logging. When someone does datalog a WMS on the CAI temp thread, will they also be able to see the A/F ratio? I'm curious too.

Quick Reply: WMS Ram-Air Tray Installed