GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

WMS Ram-Air Tray Installed

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/05, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all

I used 3 sheets of the 1x2 sheilding, and a roll of the wire loom tape for the edges, and to make a closure around the MAF. Close that area around the MAF up nice and tight. I sed cardboard, cut it to fit, wrapped it with NASA tape...whallaa instant closure. No heat sneaking in the rear from the fan up to the filter.

I agree with BH, if it werent for your thread...who knows how many would have sold so quickly....on good faith for performance.One should go your way considering the amount of testing U do. U reading this Shannon
Here in DE, Im around sea level as well gotta love it...

cambostang, dfhurleydude182,
Like 169 said....plenty. These hoods go nuts @ 100+. We still need some type of functional heat extractor. This filter...IMO only...gets more fresh than anything out there right now, period.
After beating on it late last night, and feeling how cool the tray,MAF,TB were afterwards,the difference is night and day with and w/ out the tray.
The filter could be a S&B type with an open element in front,maybe one day there will be.

mikeelia,
Three sheets, and a roll. But four would be better to cover the MAF as well, and anything else U could think of Sorry about the box, it is a delicate thin box it came in, good deal on the exchange.
Old 9/7/05, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Greek, I'm confused. You said three sheets of 1x2, but the sizes on the website are 12x12 and 24x12. Which was it? This is great find and idea thank you for sharing. I'm starting to get anxious to get mine. By the time it arrives y'all will have everything figured out for me. Wanting on the wiring fix now. LOL
Old 9/7/05, 07:11 PM

12"x24" is 1'x2'
Old 9/7/05, 07:31 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,122 Posts
I really Like this Setup. I would bet with The Street Scenes Center Fog Grille in Place you could Pull a Bit more cool air in! Maybe run some Ducting from the Front of the Setup down to the Lower Grille. It would be further away from the Radiator. The Specs are Impressive as Far as Passing Power Improvement. I wonder does anybody have any before and after Quarter Mile Times.

kc
Old 9/7/05, 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I only ordered 2 sheets 12"x 24. I'm gonna order another two sheets then based on your info S.

The first 2 sheets I ordered from Summit on a Thursday afternoon and they were at my door the next afternoon, not even 24 hours and I chose standard shipping. They also threw in a cool Summit baseball cap and some stickers.
Old 9/7/05, 10:10 PM
Bullitt Member

GOFISCH,
LOL....beaverun is right,sorry about the confusion. I just use both set of numbers, my bad. You'll love it when installed. Everyone reading this with the kit will be doing this also. Be anxious...I love it, what a difference with the tray. And no...I am no WMS salesman, just a happy customer.

BH, good idea. Im going to order 2 more just in case. I have a hunch they will go on back order real quick @ summit Great...U get a cap, and I didnt. I must have spent just under 2K there this month between the two cars, thanks for pointing that out, all I get is stickers and AOL cd's in their car Summit baggies
Old 9/8/05, 01:39 AM
Bullitt Member

05STG1 can show pic of all the extras you did to the box/MAF I want to do mine the same way
Old 9/8/05, 05:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something I had considered was painting the inside of the box with radiant barrier paint. Commonly used on the inside of attic roofs. reflects around 90% heat.
Old 9/8/05, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by 05STG1@September 7, 2005, 10:13 PM
GOFISCH,
LOL....beaverun is right,sorry about the confusion. I just use both set of numbers, my bad. You'll love it when installed. Everyone reading this with the kit will be doing this also. Be anxious...I love it, what a difference with the tray. And no...I am no WMS salesman, just a happy customer.

BH, good idea. Im going to order 2 more just in case. I have a hunch they will go on back order real quick @ summit Great...U get a cap, and I didnt. I must have spent just under 2K there this month between the two cars, thanks for pointing that out, all I get is stickers and AOL cd's in their car Summit baggies
I got a hat with each of my last 2 orders. If you really want one, I'll send you my extra one.
I wonder if WMS is going to the NMRA finals in Bowling Green or if they attend any events like NMRA. I know it's a good hike no matter where they go.
Old 9/8/05, 09:46 AM

Here is a Possible Factory Ford Alternative for the Heat shielding. These are Used on Crown Vics on the Underside of the body to shield against exhaust heat. They are a 8 1/2 x 10 inch Piece of Insulation with an adhesive Backing. And they are pretty thick. Part# 5w7z5401588e. About $4.00 a Sheet at any FORD Dealer. Ck it out! I am sure the TMS Think Tank could find other things to Insulate with these also!

kc[attachmentid=33130]
Old 9/8/05, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Thunder Road@September 8, 2005, 4:19 AM
Something I had considered was painting the inside of the box with radiant barrier paint. Commonly used on the inside of attic roofs. reflects around 90% heat.
How about Spray on UnderCoating?

kc
Old 9/8/05, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05stangkc@September 7, 2005, 9:34 PM
I really Like this Setup. I would bet with The Street Scenes Center Fog Grille in Place you could Pull a Bit more cool air in! Maybe run some Ducting from the Front of the Setup down to the Lower Grille. It would be further away from the Radiator. The Specs are Impressive as Far as Passing Power Improvement. I wonder does anybody have any before and after Quarter Mile Times.
kc
No times yet for anyone. As far as I know, me and Brenspeed are only ones that dynoed this thus far with similar results. that grill would work well, or even those that like the stock one could open up 10 more of the "honeycombs" with a dremel for more air Ducting could be run to this easily.

That heat shielding u posted would work, but its too thick..compared to the other brand. No spray undercoating. Trust me...even though U dont know me, Thermo Tec is what U want for sure for this tray. I posted pics here a day ago, I'll dig them up.

LOL..wise guy
Hey..Im trying to make plans to get to bowling green for the finals. Nothing like the finals in Kentucky! Im probably heading down with a friends outlaw car....maybe...maybe the 05 as well.Depending on when I get a few programs burned for this car. My Tuner is away for the upcoming western Fun Ford Weekends...about 2-3 weeks.
Now if WMS was to make that event, it would only benefit them for sure. And they would be nuts not to throw one your way for testing, as much as U do. What hotel U staying at?
Maybe Shannon is reading this...take the trip to kentucky WMS. I suggest Contacting NMRA for more information.Bring a kit for 169, look at this drama he started
Old 9/8/05, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Jeez, that'll teach me to read too quickly: I ordered three [not four] of the sheets plus a roll of the stuff... We'll see how that covers.

Mike E
Old 9/8/05, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Michael,
LOL..you'll be fine with three and a roll, I did overlap some to use it all up, but theres no need to overlap with this stuff.
You'll be fine
Old 9/8/05, 03:58 PM

Bowling Green, I'm staying at Hampton Inn, 7 miles from the track. I already have made reservations. Derek (DOF303) is going to the finals as well. He's staying at the Hampton too. Great rates for such a large event. The hosting hotel that the NMRA suggests is more expensive and I've never gone wrong with a hampton inn. If you're going, I'll bring that extra Summit hat for you!
Old 9/8/05, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

[attachmentid=33165][attachmentid=33166][attachmentid=33168]
Old 9/8/05, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL..let the hat go

Im going to look into staying there, havent booked a room anywhere yet. But always looking for a good stay, at a good price.
Dont bring that hat...
Old 9/9/05, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by beaverun gt@September 7, 2005, 9:14 PM
12"x24" is 1'x2'

I knew I was going to look stupid for asking.

Just for that, here's another. Do you have the part# for the wire loom tape?
Thanks
Old 9/9/05, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GOFISCH@September 9, 2005, 12:40 PM
I knew I was going to look stupid for asking.

Just for that, here's another. Do you have the part# for the wire loom tape?
Thanks
ditto on the wire loom tape # . . . .
Old 9/9/05, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Here you go my brothers

THE-14002

Quick Reply: WMS Ram-Air Tray Installed