GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The "Wish List"

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/06, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm not very happy this morning.

We had some issues with MMR's adapter plate for the Teksid block, but Adam took car of that. I'll post some pics and details later.

The bigger issue, and it could be a major problem, is the tranny. The first warning sign was that we couldn't pull the torque convertor out to check the fluid. Adam called Art Carr and they said it already had fluid in it, so we marched forward. But, when we tried to bolt the motor to the trans, there was something binding and keeping the block and bellhousing from seating completely. After multiple attempts to get it to go, we eventually had to pull the motor back out. Every aspect of the mounting surfaces was mic'ed to try to determine what was causing the binding. The block and flexplate measured out OK, so we determined it had to be the TC. It had to come out.

But the TC was completely stuck in the tranny. After tugging, pulling, prying, and eventually using a custom Adam-made slide hammer tool, it popped loose. But, the tranny input shaft came out with it. Something is definitely F'ed up with this trans. Adam is going to open the case and (along with a second opinion from a local trans guy), determine if there is any other damage that may have been caused by what looks like an improperly made TC. So, we're not sure yet what our next step will be.

But I'm pretty sure what it won't be... I do not want to send this thing back to Art Carr. I just don't trust them, and I can't afford the time needed to ship it back and forth, and wait weeks while they fix it (maybe). I'll be looking for another TC in the 2600-2700 rpm range (please feel free to offer suggestions/sources).

So yea, this pretty much sucks...
Old 6/17/06, 11:55 AM

Here are some pics from a time before we found out there was a problem. It was looking so good. The first pic is of the 8-bolt flexplate (from a Triton V10), and the other two are from when we were dropping the motor into place. It sure looked purdy sitting down in there. But that turned out to be a short-lived thrill.

Old 6/17/06, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your almost there!

Hi Don,
I know you must be frustrated. Anyone would be after going thru what you have had to endure the last 3-4 months. The Art-Carr issue really surprizes me. But it just seems it is getting harder and harder to get anything done correctly anymore in just about every aspect of our lives. I am sure Adam will get you fixed up and on the road soon. We are all pulling for you.

Scott

P.S. That motor looks HOT!!!!!
Old 6/20/06, 08:10 PM

Most of the past two days have been spent evaluating what we have to do, and what the options are. What we know so far is that the torque converter apparently was the correct physical size, but there was some major problem with how the input shaft was seated in it. Art Carr will be replacing the converter. But, there is still some concern about whether or not there was internal damage to the trans because of the input shaft issue. Rather than ship the trans back to Art Carr in Texas, they have agreed to let us have it inspected and, if needed, repaired locally. Adam plans on taking the trans to a local transmission shop tomorrow to have it torn apart and checked out. Anything that needs to be replaced will be identified and Carr will send the parts out here to CA to be installed.
Old 6/24/06, 07:11 PM

In anticipation of someday getting my car back, I compiled a list of the old mods and the news mods into one list of complete mods. Click the link in my sig, or click HERE. Let me know what you think.
Old 6/25/06, 06:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by don_w
In anticipation of someday getting my car back, I compiled a list of the old mods and the news mods into one list of complete mods. Click the link in my sig, or click HERE. Let me know what you think.
That is an impressive list of mods indeed. Only thing I see missing at all is a small shot of nitrous. Your new engine should be able to handle a 100 horse shot with no problem. Not sure what else there is for you. I think you already have everything offered for the 05. HeHe!
Scott
Old 6/25/06, 09:31 AM

Thanks, Scott. The other thing missing is a roll-cage. By not putting one in, I'm helping myself stick to my self-imposed 11.50 limit at the track.
Old 6/26/06, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Thanks, Scott. The other thing missing is a roll-cage. By not putting one in, I'm helping myself stick to my self-imposed 11.50 limit at the track.
A 11.50 sec. street driven stang (daily driver) is awesome. I just want to see you get it back on the road. I miss your drag race vids.
Scott
Old 6/29/06, 10:14 AM

I talked to Adam last night. Seems it's always the little things. The planetary set that Art Carr shipped to Tony (the local trans guy), turned out to be bent. It was still factory sealed, so it came from Ford that way. So Tony ordered one himself... guess what, it was bad too. He finally got a good one on try #3. Sheesh. Good quality control Ford. Adam said, "I wonder how many Mustangs are running around with bent planetarys?"

Tony is also replacing the input shaft, gaskets/seals, and something else I forgot. Anyway, he hopes to have it done and back to Adam today. Then Adam can continue the resurrection...
Old 6/30/06, 11:57 AM

I got an e-mail and a couple pics from Adam late last night. He got the repaired transmission back from Tony yesterday, and then went right to work on the car. He said that the engine and tranny mated together with no problems, and most of the 8 rib stuff is installed. The engine mounts appear to line up perfectly. He's hoping to make some major progress today.

The first pic is a good shot showing the Moroso aluminum oil pan, and the BMR tubular K-member. You can also see that the right side header is on.

Old 7/2/06, 07:57 PM

I talked to Adam last night... Monday is looking real good right now.
Old 7/3/06, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats great news Don. Keep us posted and let us know how she runs.
Old 7/3/06, 09:37 AM
Cobra Member

WOW, great news. Drive it like a mad man.

Have you dared to get a final tab on this undertaking??? I bet it's scary.
Old 7/3/06, 10:32 AM

When it's all said and done, it will be around $16K-$17K for everything on the Wi$h Li$t.

ENGINE
Teksid block
Cobra Crank, Ford
4340 H-beam Rods, Scat
Custom Forged Coated Pistons, JE, CR 9.1-9.2
Bearings (Rod/Main)
Gaskets (heads, timing cover, real seal)
Head studs, ARP
Machine work (balance, bore/hone, etc.)
Cam sensors/harnesses
Replacement alternator (TSB 06-02-09: may cause P0340)
Spark plugs, Autolite, HT0
Moroso oil pan, #20555
New windage tray
New oil pump/pickup
Motor mount bracket adapter (to fit Teksid)
KB 8-rib pulley set-up
Blower pulleys (8#, 11# & 15#)

HEADS
Livernois Stage 2 Ported & Polished Heads, w/ upgraded springs and +1mm Manley valves

TRANS
Street/Strip Rebuild, w/3000stall TC

REAR END
Moser Girdle
Limited Slip Differential, Detroit Truetrac
Aluminum Driveshaft, Powerhouse

SUSPENSION
Radiator Support/Sway Bar Delete, BMR
Adjustable Lower Control Arms with poly bushing/spherical rod-end, BMR
Adjustable Panhard Rod and Panhard Relocation Bracket, BMR
Adjustable Upper Control Arm w/spherical bearing, BMR
Rear Upper Control Arm Housing Bushing Kit, Spohn,
Adjustable Rear Shocks, Strange Engineering,
Tubular K-member - OE power rack, BMR

EXHAUST
Replace cats with O/R tubes
Weld wideband bung on header collector
Jet-Hot Coating on Headers
Exhaust Cutouts, Electric, 2 1/2 in, Race Ready

BRAKES
New Pads, Hawk HPS, HB485F.656 & HB484F.670
New Front Rotors, Power Slot
Line locks, Summit

MISC
Drag Radials, 275/60R15, Mickey Thompson, MTT-3754R
Front tires, 26x4.50-15, Mickey Thompson, MTT-3007
Front wheels, 15x3.5 - 1.75bs, Weld Draglite, WLD-90-54340
Pillar Pod, SOS
Nexus Sensor Module, Autometer Nexus
Boost/Vac Gauge, Autometer Nexus
Water Temp Gauge, Autometer Nexus
Fuel Pressure Gauge, Autometer Nexus
Fuel pressure rail sensor adaptor kit, Motoblue
Wideband UEGO Controller/AFR Gauge, AEM
Powder Coat Cam Covers
Paint chin spoiler
Old 7/3/06, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

So is today the day?
Old 7/3/06, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Quick question Don. I know you live in Cali and since I lived in Cali most of my life I know how bad the smog laws are. How are you going to smog the car when it comes dues after 4 years? Also I'm not sure if your gonna be running cats since they were the cause of this buildup, aint it like a 3000 buck ticket if a cop looks under there and you have no cats?
Old 7/3/06, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by freebass55
So is today the day?
Hopefully... I'll know in a few hours for sure!
Old 7/3/06, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by silverGTvert
Quick question Don. I know you live in Cali and since I lived in Cali most of my life I know how bad the smog laws are. How are you going to smog the car when it comes dues after 4 years?
First of all, there is no smog test for 6 years (not 4), so I'm not due until 2011. And by 2011, the car will be retired as a daily driver and will be converted to a fulltime track car only.
Old 7/3/06, 09:59 PM
Cobra Member

Well...?
Old 7/4/06, 12:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Don is there now..... they posted on another board and as of 6 or so tonite, still hadnt fired her up yet.

oh and the no cats ticket..... isnt that bad. I looked it up for myself, incase that happens. I dont know why the rumor is that it is insanely high.

Disconnecting, Modifying, or Altering a Pollution Control Device

42001.14. (a) Every person convicted of an infraction for the offense of disconnecting, modifying, or altering a required pollution control device in violation of Section 27156 shall be punished as follows:

(1) For a first conviction, by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50), nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).

(2) For a second or subsequent conviction, by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100), nor more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).

(b) (1) The fines collected under subdivision (a) shall be allocated pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 42001.2.

(2) The amounts allocated pursuant to paragraph (1) to the air pollution control district or air quality management district in which the infraction occurred shall first be allocated to the State Air Resources Board and the Bureau of Automotive Repair to pay the costs of the state board and the bureau under Article 8 (commencing with Section 44080) of Chapter 5 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code.

(3) The funds collected under subdivision (a) which are not required for purposes of paragraph (2) shall be used for the enforcement of Section 27156 or for the implementation of Article 8 (commencing with Section 44080) of Chapter 5 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code.