GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The "Wish List"

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/06, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 11, 2006, 11:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Art Carr Performance of Texas.
[/b][/quote]

I hope your experience with the fake Art Carr will be better than mine was. If you want details let me know and I will post here
Old 3/12/06, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ March 12, 2006, 5:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don,
Your new wish list still has a Teskid or 05 3v block on it. Are you still looking for one?
Scott
[/b][/quote]
I have a line on one of each, but I don't actually have possession yet. The Teksid is supposed to ship tomorrow. The 3V is local and belongs to a guy who is biulding a shortblock. Once it's built, he'lll swap out and the 3V block will be available to me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2MFF @ March 12, 2006, 7:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I hope your experience with the fake Art Carr will be better than mine was. If you want details let me know and I will post here
[/b][/quote]
I am aware that "the" Art Carr sold the TX operations sometime in the past and is now working out of CA. I am also aware that a couple people have had issues with the TX operation. But, my tuner (Adam) has had them do 6 or 7 trannies for him in the past couple years and everything went well. He also managed to use his connections to get me a pretty good deal. Like I said previously, when it's all over, I will post my experience... good or bad.
Old 3/12/06, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 12, 2006, 10:30 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I am aware that "the" Art Carr sold the TX operations sometime in the past and is now working out of CA. I am also aware that a couple people have had issues with the TX operation. But, my tuner (Adam) has had them do 6 or 7 trannies for him in the past couple years and everything went well. He also managed to use his connections to get me a pretty good deal. Like I said previously, when it's all over, I will post my experience... good or bad.
[/b][/quote]

Fair enough.

I'm sure everything will go fine with your build
Old 4/18/06, 07:00 PM

Well, it seems a whole bunch of stuff disappeared out of this thread. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] Oh well, I'll repost pieces of it as it comes up.

I bought three Autometer Nexus gauges (click here for demo), and an AEM wideband air/fuel gauge. Two of the gauges are going into an SOS pillar pod. The other two I decided to mount in the dash between the two center A/C vents. Getting the center panel out basically required me to remove just about everything else on the dash first. I had a really hard time getting the passenger side airbag assembly out of the dash. It is held in by 16 clips (6 bottom, 6 top, and 2 on each side). I got the bottom and sides loose, but couldn't get my hand up into the area to reach the top clips. Fortunately, Mrs. don_w was able to get her hand up to the top airbag clips, so that eventually came out. But it took a while. There are two screws to the center panel that can be removed once it's out. But, there are also two screws under the main gauge cluster panel on the driver's, so it has to come out too.

This was a a bit of a PITA, but I really like the way these gauges in the center vent area turned out!!! They aren't wired to the control module yet, so I haven't been able to see them all lit up, but I'm very happy with the way it looks so far!! Here are some pics showing the "demolition" of the dash. Also there is a pic of what the panel looked like after I cut the holes, and the back and front sides with the gauges inserted. Plus there are a couple more pics after they were installed back in the car.

Did I mention how much I like these gauges placed in this panel... very cool. They'll be even more sweet when they are lit up and match my factory dash lights. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Old 4/21/06, 02:01 PM

I just found out that Art Carr has finished my tranny and should be shipping it back to Adam this afternoon! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Based on what they told me, the weakest link of this 5R55S tranny is the potential for overdrive planetary failure (this is why you want OD off at the track). They didn't want to give out any specific trade secrets, but basically they went through and strengthened everything they could. They increased the lube rate by doing some work on the valve body. They improved/replaced the clutches to increase the torque capacity as well. They also built me a custom strengthened torque converter, with a stall in the 2700rpm range, and a flexplate to fit the 8-bolt Cobra crank. I also got a new deep pan fabbed up. He also told me it will shift a lot better than before (and I thought it shifted pretty dam good already!!). Bottom line... it will handle 700-800 hp (and similar torque numbers), which is plenty for my application.
Old 4/21/06, 02:15 PM
Cobra Member

Is it wrong to say that I am jealous? Because I am.
Old 4/21/06, 04:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don,
All I can say is [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
Scott
Old 4/22/06, 08:44 PM

I finally got around to finishing up all the wiring today. The line locks, gauges, and exhaust cutouts are all wired up and installed (except the Y-pipes on the exhaust… they will go on when the motor goes back in).

These three pics show where I ran the gauge wires through the opening in the firewall:

These two pics show the fuel pressure and water temp gauges in the dash, and the boost and wideband A/F ratio gauges in the SOS pillar pod.

These Nexus gauges are so sweet. Even without a motor in the car, the demo mode shows what they look like. I shot a quick little video showing the demo mode and what it looks like when you cycle through all the colors:

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/albums/us...30/MOV06983.MPG

These last two pics show the line lock and low-speed fan switches mounted on the console, and the switch for the electric exhaust cutouts mounted on the dash.

Old 4/23/06, 04:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Again Don. Just awesome!!
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
Old 4/23/06, 09:34 AM

Thanks, Scott! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/23/06, 08:52 PM
GT Member

You forgot to mention an air freshener. No car stays so happy as one that always smells new. Erik
Old 4/24/06, 08:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erik42 @ April 23, 2006, 7:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You forgot to mention an air freshener. No car stays so happy as one that always smells new. Erik
[/b][/quote]

Whoops... I farted in there when I was laying under the dash running wiring.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/25/06, 04:12 PM

Has anyone bought a set of the Livernois P&P heads yet?

I've been getting more and more tempted to go for it, so I'm planning on pulling the trigger on these heads tomorrow. After trading PMs with Mike at Livernois today, I found out that they offer two versions. The Stage 1 heads with the upgraded spring and stock valve size flow right around 275 intake and 195 exhaust. The Stage 2 heads include the upgraded spring as well as Manley 1mm oversize valves. The Stage 2 heads flow around 295-300 intake and 210-215 exhaust. I'm leaning towards the Stage 2 setup.

P&P Heads

Valve Springs
Old 4/25/06, 04:47 PM
Cobra Member

I've been itching for them since I first saw them. But, like I said before, I need a beater first. Well, maybe I'll take my beater money and buy heads...SOB, decisions like this suck.

For you, I would definitely go with stage two. Better flow for the s/c.
Old 4/25/06, 04:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 25, 2006, 5:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Has anyone bought a set of the Livernois P&P heads yet?

I've been getting more and more tempted to go for it, so I'm planning on pulling the trigger on these heads tomorrow. After trading PMs with Mike at Livernois today, I found out that they offer two versions. The Stage 1 heads with the upgraded spring and stock valve size flow right around 275 intake and 195 exhaust. The Stage 2 heads include the upgraded spring as well as Manley 1mm oversize valves. The Stage 2 heads flow around 295-300 intake and 210-215 exhaust. I'm leaning towards the Stage 2 setup.
P&P Heads

Valve Springs
[/b][/quote]

Don,
You know I have been following your engine rebuild closely and if you are taking a poll than I vote a big YES!!!!
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
Old 4/25/06, 04:57 PM

I'm not taking a poll... but I will take donations! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] Please send them to my PayPal account... haha [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/26/06, 10:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

DAYUM, that's nice!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/26/06, 12:46 PM

Cha-Ching!! I did it. I ordered the Stage 2 heads today from Livernois!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/26/06, 02:31 PM
Cobra Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Are you gonna trade yours in or get them outright?
Old 4/26/06, 02:45 PM

For now, I just bought them outright. I can send my stock heads back later for $600 credit, but I may try to eBay them first. I don't know for sure, but I heard a new bare 3V head from Ford was about $1000 each. Seems like I might be able to get more than $600 for them. Either way, I'm not getting rid of them until everything is back together and running correctly.