GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The "Wish List"

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/06, 03:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Way to go Don. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I have been spitting dirt for a week. (Tongue draggin the ground) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
Scott

I bet your right. You can sell them outright for more than $600 bucks.
Old 4/26/06, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have asked Livernois to send me some up-close pics of the porting work... I'll post those when I get them. He told me I should have some in a couple days.
Old 4/26/06, 06:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 26, 2006, 4:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have asked Livernois to send me some up-close pics of the porting work... I'll post those when I get them. He told me I should have some in a couple days.
[/b][/quote]

Can't wait to see them.
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/26/06, 08:47 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ April 26, 2006, 5:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Can't wait to see them.
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

haha... me either!!

And I finally got a little good news. Adam called me tonight and said the tranny arrived at his shop, and it looks like the pistons should be at the machine shop next week sometime. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/fam24.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 07:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again Don, for the info about Adam and ST Motorsports. We talked the other day, and I'm sure that he's already talking me out of being a kitty and going up to the limit. It's like the sound barrier, how close can you come to it without the boom. Erik
Old 4/27/06, 07:41 PM

You're in good hands with Adam. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/29/06, 10:38 AM

I just found out that the pistons are in! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hyper.gif[/img] Now we're at the mercy of Dougan's to get the machine work done. I hope it's soon.
Old 4/29/06, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey don car looks like its comming together well. Hope that the motor is together soon so that you can romp around again. Nice list you have going. So what was the outcome from dynatech and the cat situation? I never did know if you got that resolved.
Old 4/29/06, 02:29 PM

Yea, it's getting closer everyday... I can't wait to drive it again! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

And I'm not sure if I posted some info on the Dynatech situation, but if I did it may have disappeared when the servers crashed. Go to this link and read post #364: http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2005-mu...r-45368-25.html
Old 4/29/06, 06:36 PM
V6 Member

what pistons are you using don?
and where can i find nice set of fogred pistons?
Old 4/30/06, 08:39 AM

I decided to go with a custom-built set of JE pistons, instead of some off-the-shelf pistons. Because these motors are so sensitive to knock issues, we didn't want to mess around with any possibility of slop in the pistons. So, after Adam made a ton of calls and got a bunch of info, I felt getting pistons custom made would be my best bet. They will be made using the top grade aluminum alloy (2816 or 2618... don't remember exactly). They will have the correct wrist pin offset, plus will have a stronger pin. The tolerances will be tight, and the valve reliefs will be fly cut to allow a cam swap if I decide to do it someday. Also, they will be coated to keep the surface temps down to help minimize the chance of detonation. Finally, they will be dished somewhat to drop the compression ratio down to the 9.1-9.2 range. This should also make them more compatible with our 91 octane gas out here in CA.
Old 5/2/06, 03:39 PM

I installed BMR K-member this past Sunday... well almost. There was one nut missing from the kit, so I couldn't torque everything down. So I sent BMR an e-mail asking that they send me the missing night overnight. I got an e-mail back from BMR that said, "If you need the nut ASAP, you should be able to get it from the hardware store. It is a 9/16 poly lock nut that has fine threads. I will make sure to tell my shipping guy to be more careful when he sends stuff out."

Uhh, gee... thanks for nothing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

Luckily, I found the correct nut at a specialty supplier for nuts & bolts today, so I should be able to finish it up tonight.

Anyway, even with the motor out, changing the K-member took longer than the 2 hours they claim. Most of the work was just trying to remove all the factory hardware... dam that stuff was tight. Even my impact wrench wouldn't break it loose; I had to just use a breaker bar and muscle things loose.

The stock K-member is in the background, the new one is in the foreground.

Old 5/3/06, 06:58 PM

Mrs. don_w took the wheels/tires today to have them mounted and balanced, and I picked them up on the way home from work. Even though I still have the car on jackstands, I took a few pics so you can see what they look like. On Sunday, I would like to roll the car out of the garage and give it a bath (lots of dust and my fingerprints all over it). I'll take some more shots when it's sitting on the ground and clean. But for now, at least you can see what these kinda look like.

The total cost was between $1500-$1600: for all four wheels, all four tires, lug nuts, wheel studs, spacers, machine shop work on the hubs, and mounting/balancing. I'm pretty dam happy how they turned out. Here are the details:

- Weld Draglite XP Wheels, 15x9, 5.5" bs
- Mickey Thompson Drag Radials, 275/60R15, #3754R
- Weld Draglite front wheels, 15x3.5, 1.75bs, #90-54340
- Mickey Thompson ET Front tires, 26x4.50-15, #3007

I just love all that sidewall on the rears... I may have drooled on myself.

Old 5/3/06, 10:07 PM

More cool stuff...

Mike @ Livernois sent me some great pics of the P&P work on my heads. He said "these are shots of the CNC chamber work and ports. Ignore the guide stubs as they are dummies for the CNC machine, the actual stage 2 heads have bronze guides but I thought you could see the port work better this way." Thanks Mike!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Old 5/7/06, 03:06 PM

I finally took the car off of the jackstands and rolled it out of the garage. Here are some better pics of the new wheels/tires for the track.

Gee... can you tell there is a little weight missing from the front of the car?

Old 5/7/06, 08:25 PM

Don,The car looks awesome with those wheels.Did you use spacers in the front?
Old 5/7/06, 09:02 PM

Thanks, and yes I used spacers.
Old 5/8/06, 08:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

looks awesome don. keep up the great work
Old 5/9/06, 09:03 AM

As of late last week, everything for the shortblock had arrived and Dougan's Race Machine should do their magic on the block hopefully this week. Also, I confirmed with Mike at Livernois this morning that my heads indeed shipped last Friday. According to UPS tracking, they should arrive at S.T. Motorsports on Thursday, 5/11!! Many, many thanks to Mike Schropp and the Livernois team for getting these out so quickly so that there would be no other delays on my build!

I need to talk to Adam this week and arrange to have the car trailered back to his shop... hopefully next week. As of last night I'm ready to send it back to Adam whenever he has the motor ready to go in. Everything I needed to do to it while it was here at home is all finished now. This is the list of some of the things I took care of over the past few weeks:

BMR Radiator Support/Sway Bar Delete
BMR Adjustable Lower Control Arms with poly bushing/spherical rod-end
BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod and Panhard Relocation Bracket
BMR Tubular K-member w/OE power rack
Strange Adjustable Rear Shocks
Jet-Hot Coating on Headers
Exhaust Cutouts Switch/Wiring
Hawk HPS Brake pads (front & rear)
Power Slot Front Rotors
Summit Line Locks & Switch
SOS Pillar Pod
Dual Gauge cutouts in center vent panel
Autometer Nexus Nexus Sensor Module
Autometer Nexus Boost/Vac Gauge
Autometer Nexus Water Temp Gauge
Autometer Nexus Fuel Pressure Gauge
AEM Wideband UEGO Controller/AFR Gauge
MT Drag Radials, 275/60R15 on 15x9 Weld XP Draglites
MT Front drag tires, 26x4.50-15 on 15x3.5 Weld Draglites
Moroso 3" wheel studs
Powder Coat Cam Covers
Paint chin spoiler
3M Clear Bra on chin spoiler
Old 5/9/06, 02:42 PM

Don,What is the part Number to the spacer on the fron wheels?