GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Whipple install w flashing problems

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/07, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whipple install w flashing problems

I finished my Whipple install this week and really looked forward to get to drive it. I ordered the Whipple with a Xcal2/VMP tune, since I'm located in sweden I didn't want to send any parts off for re-configuration. Now to the problem: After flashing, the cars goes directly to "Failsafe mode" with "Check engine" light on. It does run on idle, a bit rough though. When putting it back to stock - no failsafe mode. The problem was thought to be a previously re-flashed ECM. I pulled the strategy code and thought - Hey, this is the problem! Strat code FBJR3G5 is not even close to CDC3 as is the label on the ECM. I sent over the new code, only to find out that Justin at VMP wont be in until monday

After some searching on the internet I'm getting a bit worried, it seems that the two codes FBJR3G5 and CDC3 are the same!!

I've found som threads with this/similar problems but not anyone with a solution. Anyone recognizing it and can shed some light over this issue? I saw myself tearing up whats left of my rear tires this weekend but now it looks like I'll be staring out the window woundering why I spent all this money, right now it feels like it'l never work ...
Old 8/3/07, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I cannot believe what I'm reading..... Let me explain.

I've read dozens of Justin's replies on various forums and this guy absolutely knows his stuff. I understand he was an employee at SCT before breaking off and starting his own business. In any case, he was the only one to help me when I asked for a Whipple tune in *.mtf format earlier this year. I have the Pro Racer software so I needed this format so I could further tweak my tune. I paid Justin $75 and it took him about three weeks to get a tune via e-mail. I may be wrong but no one actually had a good working tune at that time. I loaded the file and my car would barely run. Set lean codes on both banks numerous times until the PCM finally went to limp home mode. It turns out his MAF transfer function values were off by more than 25 percent! I made the adjustment and eventually got my car to run without setting any codes. This tune was not by far optimized. It had cold start problems, hesitated on acceleration, had several flat spots in the rpm curve, etc..... I prodded Justin via e-mail every month or so and although he seemed receptive, I did not receive another tune file for about six months!!

Fast forward to one month ago. Justin finally e-mailed me a file. There were tons of differences when I compared the two. Upon flashing the PCM with this file, I got the SAME "Failsafe Engine Mode" and check engine light you are getting!!!! I e-mailed Justin and did not get a reply. Three days later, I posted about this on the Pro Racer forum. Ryan @ SCT replied and helped me out..! Apparently, Justin's Whipple tune was "assembled" with value files from different strategy coded files and/or it could have been a checksum problem. In any case, Ryan fixed it and sent me back a working file.

Once I flashed my PCM with this file, the car ran with no error codes. Upon datalogging, I discovered a few more problems. Open loop was forced so closed loop is never attained..! The global spark retard was set at -1 degree. These are usually only done in the process of tuning, and should not be part of the final tune. In other words, he should have never sent me this file.

To solve your problem, e-mail Ryan at:

ryank@sctflash.com

and mention my name. Tell him I had the same problem with Justin's file and that he fixed it. Also mention the Fuel Open Loop TP was zeroed out and the global retard function was set to -1 degree. These need to be changed.

You may also want to ask Ryan if the 6000 rpm leanout condition has been addressed and/or solved. I have not heard back from him on this since he fixed my tune. I have temporarily set my rev limiter to 5600 rpm until this issue is resolved.

As far as I'm concerned, I will not be doing business with VMP Tuning any more. What I find totally unacceptable is the fact that he knows he has a file with issues. I still have e-mails. So why is he still selling it? Something doesn't add up.

I sent you a PM with additional information.
Old 8/3/07, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Guys....Why are you trying to tune an aftermarket supercharged car through e-mail? That's like asking a doctor to diagnose cancer through the mail.
Old 8/3/07, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jake,

I have Advantage III. I asked Justin for a base file that I could use to tweak myself, which I've done. This is accomplished by datalogging with a wideband.

Willie
Old 8/4/07, 01:32 AM

Willie,
What I really wanted was someone to say: I had that problem and it got fixed! Now what you are saying dosen't sound good, but I still have faith in VMP to get it right next week. There have been numerous post about how good his tunes are so something must come out right :-)
As I see it now my big problem is that the car didn't get fixed for the weekend, but maybe its not so bad, the wheater forecast says rain...

Bullitt995,
Because of my location and the good stuff I've read about VMP I decided on the mail order "thing". Also thinking I could dyno it here, make changes with the Xcal and/or send the dyno info over and get it adjusted if needed.
Old 8/4/07, 07:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Croceye,
E-mail sent.

Willie
Old 8/4/07, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok I understand now Willie.

Croceye,

I would recomend trying to find a shop in Sweeden that can get this done. The best mail order tune will never be as good as a mediocre dyno tune.
Old 8/5/07, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Willie
Fast forward to one month ago. Justin finally e-mailed me a file. There were tons of differences when I compared the two. Upon flashing the PCM with this file, I got the SAME "Failsafe Engine Mode" and check engine light you are getting!!!!.
Do you have the same strategy code in your car as I do (FBJR3G5)?

Is your car in order now, I mean you mentioned a lot of minor flaws with open/closed loop, global spark retard etc
Old 8/5/07, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

My strategy code: FBJR3
My processor code: CDC3

I'd prefer to discuss the details via e-mail. I sent you one yesterday.

Willie
Old 8/5/07, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Croceye,

I would recomend trying to find a shop in Sweeden that can get this done. The best mail order tune will never be as good as a mediocre dyno tune.
OMG

Someone finally said it! Not knocking VMP, there's no doubt the man knows his stuff big time. But given the condition here... you're in Sweden... I'd want to know your alititude and climate there before I put a tune together. Last time I checked, half of sweden is Norrland mountains and the rest is separated between lakes and **** near touching the Arctic Circle.

Needless to say, the tune I'd throw together in Philly's 80-85 degree average summer in 100ft altitude, is going to be wrong. **** adaptive learning... the tune would be wrong.

I would contact SCT as well, and work with VMP next week, and if you're exploring both options, you should get straightened out. In the mean time, I'd start looking into a custom tune option at a dyno...

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 8/5/07, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
OMG

Someone finally said it! Not knocking VMP, there's no doubt the man knows his stuff big time. But given the condition here... you're in Sweden... I'd want to know your alititude and climate there before I put a tune together. Last time I checked, half of sweden is Norrland mountains and the rest is separated between lakes and **** near touching the Arctic Circle.

Needless to say, the tune I'd throw together in Philly's 80-85 degree average summer in 100ft altitude, is going to be wrong. **** adaptive learning... the tune would be wrong.

I would contact SCT as well, and work with VMP next week, and if you're exploring both options, you should get straightened out. In the mean time, I'd start looking into a custom tune option at a dyno...

CR
Tillman Speed
Well sweden do go cross the arctic circle...but I'm located in the capital, Stockholm, and that's about sealevel. Highest point in Stockholm is 364ft - Weather is like NY, maybe a few degrees cooler summertime. I never thought it would be that important. Sure a tune is optimizing the car to my conditions, octane, mods etc but does really 100ft or 20 degrees F make any difference?
Old 8/5/07, 09:05 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Croceye
Well sweden do go cross the arctic circle...but I'm located in the capital, Stockholm, and that's about sealevel. Highest point in Stockholm is 364ft - Weather is like NY, maybe a few degrees cooler summertime. I never thought it would be that important. Sure a tune is optimizing the car to my conditions, octane, mods etc but does really 100ft or 20 degrees F make any difference?
That shouldn't be too bad. Adaptive learning should be able to take care of it. I'd still have a local tune done just to optimize where you can.

CR