GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What can I expect out of this set up???

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/07, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What can I expect out of this set up???

Since I`m new to this forum most of you don`t know about my upcoming Mustang project. Because of a work related injury this spring I will be getting a size-able worker`s comp settlement sometime soon. An unfortunate situation with a silver lining. This settlement will allow me to buy both myself and my wife new cars and pay cash for both. I`ll be buying a new Mustang GT. On top of this I`ll have approximately $10K to $12K for modifications.

I`ve already speced out my suspension, wheels and tires, exhaust, driveshaft and rear end mods. What`s left is to decide what to do with the engine. Initially it will be a C&L CAI and tune from either Brenspeed or Bama along with a set of underdrive pulleys. Along with the stereo system all this will pretty much kill my stage one mod budget. I`ll be good to go for stage one.

My question is for stage two. What I want to do is go FI using a twin screw as my power adder. But I want to go a little further than just bolting on a blower and using a canned tune. I want to push the boost up a little so I can hit 500 rwhp and 500 rwt minimum. I want to stay right around 500 to 550 on both. I`m looking at 10 to 12 psi boost to do this. At this level I want to go ahead and do a forged build on the bottom end of the motor. I`ll probably have DSS do their level 10 block prep. While doing this I want to go ahead and do a stroker build to up the displacement.

* What are the available displacement levels in stroker kits for the 4.6?

I`m also planning on sending my stock 3v heads to DSS for a CNC port job, larger valves, etc. Nothing fancy, but definitaly enough to improve the flow charactoristics and capacity.

* So, what am I looking at here for realistic power levels? Stroker motor with ported larger valve heads and stock cams, running a Whipple at 10 to 12 psi. Breathing through long tubes, catted X to FRPP "stingers".

* Does anyone have any good cam grinds for modded 3v`s? Nothing radical or really noticable, but with added power over the stock grinds.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 8/31/07, 12:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I would think you would easily get the numbers you're looking for with the mods you planning. With my only mods other than the SC being a CAI , X-pipe and axial back exhaust , we got 430 RWHP and 394 RWTQ. That's with a safe tune , we could get more but I wanted to stay on the safe side since the internals are stock ...
Old 8/31/07, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
I would think you would easily get the numbers you're looking for with the mods you planning. With my only mods other than the SC being a CAI , X-pipe and axial back exhaust , we got 430 RWHP and 394 RWTQ. That's with a safe tune , we could get more but I wanted to stay on the safe side since the internals are stock ...

Thanks for the reply. Let me ask you this. Describe how you feel about the performance increase you got with the SC. What I mean is, how it feels to you on the street. With the numbers you got does the car still feel big and heavy to you? Or does it feel like more of an extension of what you look for in an ideal muscle car. It`s hard to put it in words.

The numbers I`m looking for are easily reachable, but I`m questioning the need. What I am looking for is safety for lack of a better way to put it. I want to safely be able to perform at the same level as anything else I will find on the street. Meaning I don`t want to get smoked by some rich kid in a hopped up 4 banger. And I`m talking at reasonable speed levels. I don`t want a car that will run 200 mph, but do want to be super strong at use-able speeds. Say under 150 mph.

Eric
Old 8/31/07, 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

You said 10-12k for mods? You're looking at more like 20k+ for all the work you're talking about. Forget about doing any work to the heads, not needed for the power levels you want to achieve. If you're going twin screw don't buy a CAI. Unless you're doing the work yourself I'm guessing you don't have enough $$$ for the forged internals either. Just buy a whipple kit and get a good tune for 450-480rwhp at 8-10 psi.
Old 8/31/07, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
You said 10-12k for mods? You're looking at more like 20k+ for all the work you're talking about. Forget about doing any work to the heads, not needed for the power levels you want to achieve. If you're going twin screw don't buy a CAI. Unless you're doing the work yourself I'm guessing you don't have enough $$$ for the forged internals either. Just buy a whipple kit and get a good tune for 450-480rwhp at 8-10 psi.

I`m sorry. I guess I should have been more detailed in what I was asking. I was trying to keep the post length to a minimum.

The mods I listed are only stage 1 of my project. Stage one is basically in preparation for stage two. The majority of my stage 1 budget is going into improving the suspension, exhaust, drive line and brakes. That`s what the $10K is for. I want to drive the car for about a year before I go FI.

Stage 2 will include the forged rebuild, head work, SC and maybe tranny upgrades. I`ll budget another $10K to $12K for stage 2.

I want the car fully set up for the power before I go FI. I want to do a kill shot sleeper type car. Capable of running with almost any modern street car. Within a realistic speed zone. I don`t want to be beat by anything short of an exotic. Call it crazy. That`s why I want to stick with the stock block and heads. I can do internal mods that will result in big power, but will not be noticable from the outside. Most people running SC`s just go with a bolt on and a tune. That`s what I want to look like.

I figure 500+ hp and torque will put me into unmodded Z06 and Viper territory. That`s where I want to be, but I want it to be a suprise to everyone around me.

Eric
Old 8/31/07, 07:05 PM
V6 Member

I get the sleeper thing, but for that kind of money I would just pull the trigger on a GT500. You get the performance you are looking for, platform for additional power through simple upgrades and a car that will retain more value than a modded GT. Not trying to knock your plan, it sounds like it will be an awesome machine, but you will have close to $55k into a Mustang GT and never pull close to that out of it on resale.
Old 8/31/07, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by jcode68
I get the sleeper thing, but for that kind of money I would just pull the trigger on a GT500. You get the performance you are looking for, platform for additional power through simple upgrades and a car that will retain more value than a modded GT. Not trying to knock your plan, it sounds like it will be an awesome machine, but you will have close to $55k into a Mustang GT and never pull close to that out of it on resale.

I know. Resale would be a huge hit, but I don`t plan on ever selling the car. On top of that I`m not a huge fan of the GT500. I want more of an unremarkable looking car.

And I don`t think money will be much of an issue. Not only do I have this big settlement coming in but I also have a multi-seven figure civil suit started against the company I work for. I don`t like to count on money I don`t have in hand but I was assaulted by my dept. manager while at work. I`m pretty certain of the outcome.

Thanks for the feedback bro.

Eric