GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MSD Blaster COPs

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/07, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSD Blaster COPs

Last year I tried the Granatelli COPS and while they improved performance initially, I had three fail in like two months. I went back to stock COPs for the last year. I recently decided to slap them on again and try them out a while. After installation I found I have a fourth bad GMS COP.

So I decided to try the MSD Blaster COPs. I like MSD products and saw some good dyno test data on them. I am considering mixing the stainless GMS plug connectors (which are nicer than the stock spring types) with the MSD coil packs.

Why am I doing this you may ask?
1) I still experience occasional spark blow-out on hard downshift acceleration. The HT0 plugs I have gapped at .032 eliminated most but not all of this issue. When I was running the GMS coils I never had spark-blow-out.
2) I feel the hotter coil pack do add horepower in forced induction by getting a more thourough burn of the air/fuel mixture.

So they will be getting tested this week!
Old 8/31/07, 03:02 PM

A better spark is a better spark no matter how you look at it. It will not hurt performance so the cost is the price you pay to experament.

Almost all of my hot rodding experience is with carburated small black Chevys and increasing spark strength is a tried and true performance upgrade. I know first hand what going from a points type dist. to a newer HEI unit will get you. Then take it to the next step with units like MSD`s and Mallory`s multi spark ignition modules. Each step nets a more efficient motor and increased power and also gas mileage.

I would expect the same type of improvements in your situation. Especially in a FI set up. The new COPs might very well fix your plug blow out issue and would be worth it for that reason alone. Definitaly let us all know. I`ve eyed those units myself and would drop the dollars if they are worth it.

Eric
Old 8/31/07, 05:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey uber- make sure you do post back, I've wondered about these..... I've read good and bad, another experience would be nice.
Old 8/31/07, 07:14 PM

Just road tested the coil packs.
I love these things.
My car pulls hard, revs smoother and even way less hesitation on the throttle.
I was testing my stock coils earlier today and experienced a single pop from spark blow-out on a 2nd gear downshift WOT.Popped in these MSD coils and downshift and WOT to 6200 RPM smooth as silk.
My seat of the pants meter says these coils are an exceptional improvement in my cars performance! The car pulls harder - NO QUESTION
Old 8/31/07, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

DId you just to the coil packs or did you add the GMS plug connectors too?
Old 8/31/07, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the cost for those MSD COP's? I assume they are a direct replacement that require no flashing of computer, correct?
Old 9/1/07, 04:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Note to answer for uber but Brenspeed has them for like $388 I think....

www.brenspeed.com
Old 9/1/07, 06:52 AM

I bought them at Jegs for $389 online.
My first test is with the MSD coil packs and the MSD connectors.
MSD uses the spring connectors. GMS has solid stainless connectors.
I will try those tomorrow with the MSD coils. You get a much more solid connection when you push on the GMS connectors than either the MSD or stock spring connectors. The MSD connectors seem fine though.

These COPs take 30 minutes to change with one bolt in each coil pack, very easy.
No tune changes necessary. Now I hope they last longer than GMS COPs because I had four of those GMS COPs burn out.
I will be track testing these in the next week or so too.