GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ways to improve throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/05, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have to do that every time you start the car? Or one time does the trick for good? How about if the battery is disconnected later on?

Thanks
Old 6/4/05, 04:56 PM

It worked for me ! The lag to WOT and downshifting it MUCH better. I swear that the speed you set the technique can change the respose even faster. Am I right or is it my imagination ?
Thanks.

Redfire GT
Basaani axle backs SS
DiabloSport Predator
Cragar SS 9x17
Plenum cover
Nose bra
that's it....... so far !
Old 6/4/05, 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I tried "the trick" and it didn't do anything for me.

I think it's a placebo affect.
Old 6/5/05, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

didn't notice any difference either...
Old 6/5/05, 10:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by DozerzPony@May 30, 2005, 7:28 AM
Do you have to do that every time you start the car? Or one time does the trick for good? How about if the battery is disconnected later on?

Thanks
Just one time. I don't know if disconnecting the battery will reset it - but, at worst, simply do the scheme again after reconnecting the battery.
Old 6/28/05, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 5 spd so I dont have the lag problem, what I do have is a hesitant pedal feeling, I would like it to rev as soon as i touch the gas pedal, it seems I have to press it a little first and it seems to take a split longer to react...do you thing the gas pedal reset would do anything for this?
Old 6/29/05, 08:02 AM
FR500 Member

I have an auto, and I know that turning OD off helps this dramatically. If I have OD off and I am going above 35 MPH, especially now that I have the semi-ram air hood with my MMR high-flow intake and tube, the car goes immediately. All I have to do is touch the pedal, and it pushes forward... to the point of jerking my head back. There's absolutely no lag whatsoever. But with OD on, it's totally different. I usually drive around in the city with OD off, and only use it on the highway. I know that's gonna cost me a few more bucks a week in gas, but well worth it to have instant throttle response, as well as just having a lot more fun driving.
Old 6/29/05, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ian, is there a thread where you descibe your semi ram hood in detail, I remember you were trying to figure out a way to make it funtional but I never saw a follow up
Old 6/29/05, 10:10 AM
FR500 Member

Dave, here's the link...

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=387619

And you'll notice why I said semi-ram air. It definitely is good as a temporary fix though. Eventually I'll rig up a duct of some sort.
Old 6/29/05, 10:18 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by acadian@June 29, 2005, 8:05 AM
I have an auto, and I know that turning OD off helps this dramatically. If I have OD off and I am going above 35 MPH, especially now that I have the semi-ram air hood with my MMR high-flow intake and tube, the car goes immediately. All I have to do is touch the pedal, and it pushes forward... to the point of jerking my head back. There's absolutely no lag whatsoever. But with OD on, it's totally different. I usually drive around in the city with OD off, and only use it on the highway. I know that's gonna cost me a few more bucks a week in gas, but well worth it to have instant throttle response, as well as just having a lot more fun driving.
I'm with you there Ian (forget you have an auto too). If I am street cruising and running at 60 or under during general stop and go, my OD is OFF. The car isn't in a hurry to get to 5th and better MPG. And loads more responsive.

I rechecked your hood thread - you were able to tell a difference after doing that huh? Now you have me real interested - I hope to have my RK Sport Cal. Dream hood installed within the next two weeks and with the vents shunting air directly to my JLT, I am very curious about any differences....
Old 6/29/05, 10:51 AM
FR500 Member

That California Dreamer hood looks sweet. You should definitely feel a difference in power, and you should technically see a small increase in MPG too. My hood isn't even a true ram air hood, and I can still feel a fairly significant difference... and that only gets more noticeable the faster I'm going or the more air is getting pulled to the intake.

Is it really true that you get better MPG if you have OD turned off while driving stop and go? Can you explain your thinking there? My wife hates me to drive with OD off because the revs are higher so she thinks that mileage is going to be worse. I'm usually stuck to driving in OD when she's not in the car. If I can convince her mileage is actually better, that would be good.
Old 6/29/05, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I did it tonight. it helped me. it would happen to me most when merging on to the highway 1-2 second delay when mashing the pedal. Now it downshifts right a way merging. Thanks for the info.
Old 6/30/05, 06:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I did the gas pedal trick with my 5 speed, I dont think I feel a difference, remember now, befoire you flame me, I am only looking for pedal responsiveness here.
Old 6/30/05, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

^^If you have hesitation you will be the first in a manual. It seems to be just an auto problem. Mine is gone after the pedal thing. I had the same problem with my altima 3.5se. it had throttle by wire too. There was a tsb on it and it was fixed at the dealership.
Old 6/30/05, 10:04 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by acadian@June 29, 2005, 10:54 AM
Is it really true that you get better MPG if you have OD turned off while driving stop and go? Can you explain your thinking there? My wife hates me to drive with OD off because the revs are higher so she thinks that mileage is going to be worse. I'm usually stuck to driving in OD when she's not in the car. If I can convince her mileage is actually better, that would be good.
Ian - take that as one complete sentence - I meant driving with it OFF, the car isn't in a hurry to get to 5th gear and the better MPG you get with that.

I KNOW we can't be getting better mpg with the OD off....
Old 6/30/05, 12:08 PM
FR500 Member

Ok, I gotcha now. Oh well... you almost made made my day.
Old 6/30/05, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love the way my A/T GT's throttle responds. It isnt jumpy AT ALL like other cars, and it takes a little push to get the car going. I really love it like that because you have much more control. And... while im cruising, if i tap the pedal like 1/3 of the way and let go, the car kinda revs freely since it wants to downshift...it sounds awesome.
Old 6/30/05, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Burke0011@June 29, 2005, 10:21 AM
I'm with you there Ian (forget you have an auto too). If I am street cruising and running at 60 or under during general stop and go, my OD is OFF. The car isn't in a hurry to get to 5th and better MPG. And loads more responsive.

I rechecked your hood thread - you were able to tell a difference after doing that huh? Now you have me real interested - I hope to have my RK Sport Cal. Dream hood installed within the next two weeks and with the vents shunting air directly to my JLT, I am very curious about any differences....

Our cars get better MPG if O/D is ON, meaning nothing shows on the information center (). The car is in a hurry to get to 5th, meaning it shifts at lower RPMs and saves you mileage. You also cruise at lower RPMs, therefore using less gas. True, O/D on means its MUCH more responsive, but it doesn't help with mileage. :nono:
Old 6/30/05, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I tried it too...nothing really happened. Its not something that should bother anyone...its like really really enjoyable mini-lag.
Old 6/30/05, 06:43 PM

I had to try it a couple of times before it worked for me, but work it did :R:

Quick Reply: Ways to improve throttle response?