GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ways to improve throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/05, 09:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by upstate@December 3, 2004, 9:52 PM
On my chrysler 300 it has an electronic gas pedal. There is actually a program mode you can get into the trottle response. You go through a series of steps then depending how fast you depress the pedal and release it determines how sensitive the pedal response is. Have to be careful of you calibrate it to fast you will find if you just touch the pedal the car flys. I have listed the proceedure below. A long shot but the best we have so far.

Checking out some Ram forums and ran into this topic. Performed it on my Durango this morning and have noticed a positive difference. AGAIN THIS IS RECOMMENDED BY CHRYSLER BUT MAY WORK:

The throttle by wire used to do a couple strange things like hold gear to redline even if she wasn't floored. Had to back way off in order for her to shift. Now I back out slightly and she will shift up a gear like I would expect. Throttle response appears more "cable" like as well. Haven't tried a WOT run through the gears yet to see how it effects the feel of the shifts.

Here's the proceedure:

- Turn on your key, wait for the lights to go out (on the dash)

- Press you throttle all the way down, just do it at a normal speed, dont stomp it, but dont baby it.

- Let it up, as soon as you touch bottom

- Turn off your ignition. crank it up and drive.

Thank you, upstate!! Your suggestion worked! I went through this sequence and all my downshift hesitation went away. Just silky smooth all the time, no pausing and lurching.

I owe you a cold one for sure. Thanks again, Chris.
Old 5/25/05, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

ok so how does that work? are you actually revving the engine and then turning the car off? i need to do this as well. is it totally reprogrammed after you do this or do you have to do it every time?
Old 5/25/05, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

SCT Xcalibrator w/ extreme tune took care of my issue.
Old 5/25/05, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

The SCT Xcalibrator did NOT solve it for me.

I even have a JLT CAI with an SCT tune.

I still have the lag.
Old 5/25/05, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by LordBritish@May 25, 2005, 5:23 PM
The SCT Xcalibrator did NOT solve it for me.

I even have a JLT CAI with an SCT tune.

I still have the lag.

Is this lag only with auto's??? I have a manuel i have not experienced htis as of yet
Old 5/26/05, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know. I have a stick.
Old 5/26/05, 01:21 PM
FR500 Member

We are talking about autos here. It's throttle by wire... the manual should have no lag.

I have the XCalibrator too and still have some lag. Better than stock, but could be better. I have noticed that turning O/D off helps a lot. Does anyone know how much more gas you use by having O/D off during city driving? Obviously you want to have it on during highway driving (except maybe every now and then when you have to pass somebody), but how bad is it on MPG to keep it off in the city?
Old 5/26/05, 01:27 PM
V6 Member

I always turn off OD unless I'm on the freeway or able to cruise for a long period (not very ofter in Bay Area :angry: ).

The way I look at it - what would you do if it were a stick? I almost never shifted into 5th on my '02 GT manual unless I was hitting freeway speeds so I use the same mentality with the Auto. I'm sure the gas mileage is better with OD on, but since I do a lot of stop and go it gets anyoying coasting from stop light to stoplight with the OD on. In fact, I usually take it even further and manually shift the auto to keep the RPM's up a little higher similar to if I was driving a manual if the traffic isn't too bad and I want to play a little

Doug
Old 5/26/05, 02:59 PM
FR500 Member

I want to leave O/D off too, unless I get on the highway, but the wife gives me a hard time if I do it... complaining about gas prices, etc. So, I'm curious to know how much worse it really is, if any. I've heard that manual's get better gas mileage than auto's, and they don't use O/D in the lower gears. So, why would having O/D off hurt? I can understand that keeping the RPM's lower is better for mileage, but maybe the car being in overdrive and then having to come out of it when you accelerate, and also when you downshift coming to a stop, may make up for it.
Old 5/26/05, 08:38 PM

Upstate's technique did the trick for me too! Thanks for the tip
Old 5/26/05, 11:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I haven't tried it but even if it did improve it, will the computer merely re-adjust it later?

From what I understand, the 05 GT's computer never stops adjusting.
Old 5/27/05, 07:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by LordBritish@May 27, 2005, 12:37 AM
I haven't tried it but even if it did improve it, will the computer merely re-adjust it later?

From what I understand, the 05 GT's computer never stops adjusting.
I did it in late March and it still works just fine. I think that's the point of the scheme - to tell the tranny the way you want it done - rather than it try to learn on it's own.
Old 5/27/05, 09:24 PM

My car feels even "beastier" now.
Old 5/29/05, 05:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, since I just got my '05 GT auto, I'm still exploring the envelope, but I haven't noticed any significant lag. Having said that, however, I do often downshift manually when I drive. I'll have to experiment a bit and see what the computer does.

Oh, and the Navy is the only service to fly the F-14.
Old 5/29/05, 08:51 AM

the throttle lag many automatic gt owners are complaing about isn't just with the mustangs. i have an 05 super duty, 6.8 v10 with the 5 speed tq shift auto. the throttle response/lag is absolutely horrible and makes me want to drive the truck off a cliff! unfortunately there aren't any tuning solutions at this time for the truck :bang:
Old 5/29/05, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm confus-ed -- is this technique done with the ignition on but the engine off, or with the engine running?

Enquiring minds want to know....
Old 5/29/05, 09:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by BigDog@May 29, 2005, 10:38 AM
I'm confus-ed -- is this technique done with the ignition on but the engine off, or with the engine running?

Enquiring minds want to know....
Here's an amplified restatement of the procedure:

- Turn your key to the ON position (not just ACC), wait for the various dash warning lights to go out - but do NOT start the car.

- Press your throttle all the way down in one smooth flow - just do it at a normal speed, don't stomp it, but don't baby it.

- Let it up, as soon as you touch bottom.

- Turn off your ignition and wait 3-4 seconds.

- Crank it up normally and drive.

Hope this clarifies the scheme. It worked for me on my GT.

Good luck!
Old 5/29/05, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool, I'll give it a shot!
Old 5/29/05, 02:03 PM
FR500 Member

Thanks for the clarification, Chris. I'll try this tonight.
Old 5/29/05, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ChrisM@May 29, 2005, 12:02 PM
Here's an amplified restatement of the procedure:

- Turn your key to the ON position (not just ACC), wait for the various dash warning lights to go out - but do NOT start the car.

- Press your throttle all the way down in one smooth flow - just do it at a normal speed, don't stomp it, but don't baby it.

- Let it up, as soon as you touch bottom.

- Turn off your ignition and wait 3-4 seconds.

- Crank it up normally and drive.

Hope this clarifies the scheme. It worked for me on my GT.

Good luck!
Well, I did just what you wrote, and durned if the car doesn't feel a bit snappier!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Ways to improve throttle response?