GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ways to improve throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/04, 11:02 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

I have an '05 Mustang GT with automatic transmission. If I really lay on the gas in third gear and above (sometimes even in second), the car will wait a second and then kick in. I know of ways to increase horsepower, but what are the best ways to increase throttle response. So that when I step on the gas, I go right away (or at least sooner). This car is a lot better than other autos I have driven. But, there has to be something I, and other auto drivers, can do. Will replacing the throttle body with a larger one help? Maybe a new gear ratio? I'm not too experienced with the engine and all it's componenents. So, anyone who is please help...
Old 12/3/04, 12:59 PM
Cobra Member

the 05 mustang throttle body is a drive by wire system like in the f-16s fly by wire system the throttle is completely electronic so it is better than previous mustangs you cant really get better than that

(thanks Stubbies )
Old 12/3/04, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

i thought it was the opposite since before it was a throttle cable it wasa instants whereas now the computer wont let you go wot ????
Old 12/3/04, 01:36 PM

I have notice zero throttle lag on my manual GT, I'd swing back by the dealer and have them check to see if either the throttle sensor or the TB actuator is set wrong or malfunctioning.
Old 12/3/04, 02:00 PM

I don't know too much about this, but becuase it is an electronic throttle (drive by wire), I am sure a computer flash would give you whatever throttle response you desire. This would enable you to set your shift points and whatever else is needed.
Old 12/3/04, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I think he's maybe just talking about the time it takes to kick down to a lower gear when you stomp on the gas. It's an auto afterall....not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 12/3/04, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by charles@December 3, 2004, 1:02 PM
the 05 mustang throttle body is a drive by wire system like in the f-14s fly by wire system the throttle is completely electronic so it is better than previous mustangs you cant really get better than that
Um, the F-14 Tomcat is NOT a fly-by-wire system

Try the F-16, THAT is a fly-by-wire system.

EDIT: Welp, I can post my own retraction. Not only did I learn that the F-14 was indeed a fly-by-wire setup, it also used a processor that was WAY more powerful than anything Intel was using at the time. Thanks to it's classification though, that most powerful microprocessor of the time went unheralded.
Old 12/3/04, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

But more on topic, I have seen what he is talking about for throttle response on automatic vehicles before. I had an Altima in 1995 for a rental/loaner due to car being worked on, and it had that BAD. I could put it to the floor from a stop, and wait like 1-2 seconds before the car did *anything* at all.
Old 12/3/04, 07:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Stubbies+December 3, 2004, 6:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stubbies @ December 3, 2004, 6:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-charles@December 3, 2004, 1:02 PM
the 05 mustang throttle body is a drive by wire system like in the f-14s fly by wire system the throttle is completely electronic so it is better than previous mustangs you cant really get better than that

EDIT: Welp, I can post my own retraction. Not only did I learn that the F-14 was indeed a fly-by-wire setup, it also used a processor that was WAY more powerful than anything Intel was using at the time. Thanks to it's classification though, that most powerful microprocessor of the time went unheralded. [/b][/quote]
oops im not a real expert on these planes so i'll just edit it btw i just read we might soon have a plane named f-35 Mustang based on the f-22
Old 12/3/04, 07:40 PM
V6 Member

It can be fixed, but it will be in the transmission that the fixing needs to be done. Can't fancy the link I was looking for, but will keep looking.
Old 12/3/04, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

On my chrysler 300 it has an electronic gas pedal. There is actually a program mode you can get into the trottle response. You go through a series of steps then depending how fast you depress the pedal and release it determines how sensitive the pedal response is. Have to be careful of you calibrate it to fast you will find if you just touch the pedal the car flys. I have listed the proceedure below. A long shot but the best we have so far.

Checking out some Ram forums and ran into this topic. Performed it on my Durango this morning and have noticed a positive difference. AGAIN THIS IS RECOMMENDED BY CHRYSLER BUT MAY WORK:

The throttle by wire used to do a couple strange things like hold gear to redline even if she wasn't floored. Had to back way off in order for her to shift. Now I back out slightly and she will shift up a gear like I would expect. Throttle response appears more "cable" like as well. Haven't tried a WOT run through the gears yet to see how it effects the feel of the shifts.

Here's the proceedure:

- Turn on your key, wait for the lights to go out (on the dash)

- Press you throttle all the way down, just do it at a normal speed, dont stomp it, but dont baby it.

- Let it up, as soon as you touch bottom

- Turn off your ignition. crank it up and drive.
Old 12/5/04, 12:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I too have an 05 GT automatic and it also has this delayed throttle response (lag).

I've asked many people why it's doing this and I've received various responses.

It appears that the reason for the delayed response is because of the computer which, for whatever reason, takes it's sweet time to open up the throttle and/or to change to an appropriate gear.

The delay can be significant - a second or more sometimes.

I find this delay intolerable and have been told that some this delay can be mitigated by doing a custom tune.

Check this out:

http://www.sctflash.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159

That company creates computer flashers that can custom tune automobiles including the 05 Stangs. I intend to do it once I find the money to do so. I'm broke now so I can't do it yet.

I also posted this "problem" here: http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=577860

I used the handle "LordHalbert" in the corral.net forums.
Old 12/5/04, 03:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by charles+December 3, 2004, 8:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (charles @ December 3, 2004, 8:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Stubbies@December 3, 2004, 6:32 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-charles
@December 3, 2004, 1:02 PM

EDIT: Welp, I can post my own retraction. Not only did I learn that the F-14 was indeed a fly-by-wire setup, it also used a processor that was WAY more powerful than anything Intel was using at the time. Thanks to it's classification though, that most powerful microprocessor of the time went unheralded.
oops im not a real expert on these planes so i'll just edit it btw i just read we might soon have a plane named f-35 Mustang based on the f-22 [/b][/quote]
The F-18 is a fly by wire. There are a lot of planes today that have to be flown by the computer because man can not react fast enough. The blackbird is one and the Flying Wing bomber is another. There will never be another plane named the Mustang. They only do that once so the P-51 has it.
Old 12/5/04, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The original SR-71 (or A-12 if you want to back to when it was an Air Force project) was not a fly by wire plane. It could not have been. The thing was designed in the late 50s. In that time, a computer fast enough to fly a jet would take up more space than the fuel tanks do.

It was only in the late '70s and '80s that fly by wire became common and even required. Because the computer could react faster than a human (the human brain is a fantastic machine, low response time is NOT it's best feature...), the designers were able to design and build fighters that had less and less dynamic stability (A very short explanation: stable if the center of gravity is ahead of the center of lift of the main wing and unstable if the center of gravity is behind the center of lift of the main wing. The futher apart the two are, the more stable or unstable the aircraft is). This allowed the aircraft to react faster and faster to control inputs and have increased performance. AKA: quicker. Plus, they were able to design in a "nice" flight behavior that the pilot felt so even though the plane was always on the hair edge of "freaking out", it felt nice and stable to guy pushing the stick around.

The plane that took this to extremes was the X-29. This experimental aircraft had forward swept wings (33 degrees at the leading edge, 45 at the trailing edge) that were designed with some VERY advanced composite wing skins to cause the tip of the wing to twist DOWN as the wing flexed UP. That is backwards from normal BTW. This allowed the plane to stay together and actually structurally fly. NASA also made this plane something like 36% (if my memory is still working) unstable (unheard of before or since). Basically, at cruise speed (subsonic), if all the flight computers where to fail (3 digital with an analog backup!), the aircraft would swap ends and rip itself apart in less than 1/60th of a second. The pilot did NOT fly this airplane. He simply asked the computer to move it were he wanted it to go.

And they DO occasionaly reuse fighter aircraft names. Example: Lockheed P-38 Lightening and the Lockheed/Martin F-22 Lightening II just now hitting service. I DO believe that the military will only allow this under special circumstances and it has to be built by the same manufacturer. Given that North American no longer exists, I would have to say the P-51 should be unique!

Favorite piston plane: P-51 Mustang (of course!). Favorite Ford Mustang: 1969 Mach 1 followed VERY close by the 2005 GT. I'm sure the last 2 will change once I get MY 2005 GT!

On topic: When I test drove a black GT a couple of weeks ago (put just over 40 miles on it), I did not notice any thing "funny" with the throttle response. Of course, I was having so much fun playing, it probabally would have had to be pretty blatant for me to notice....
Old 12/5/04, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Stubbies+December 3, 2004, 6:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stubbies @ December 3, 2004, 6:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-charles@December 3, 2004, 1:02 PM

EDIT: Welp, I can post my own retraction. Not only did I learn that the F-14 was indeed a fly-by-wire setup, it also used a processor that was WAY more powerful than anything Intel was using at the time. Thanks to it's classification though, that most powerful microprocessor of the time went unheralded. [/b][/quote]
yeah some f-14 versions have it and some dont its a whole navy/army/airforce thing
Old 12/5/04, 04:09 PM
FR500 Member

Old 12/5/04, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Get back on topic guys :angry:

C'mon you automatic GT owners - respond !!!
Old 12/5/04, 07:07 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I drove an auto GT and did notice a bit of lag. I think it is just inherent in the auto unfortunately.
Old 12/5/04, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm sure there is a way to improve the response (reduce lag) by tuning - or at least I hope there is.
Old 12/5/04, 09:54 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by LordBritish@December 5, 2004, 10:20 PM
I'm sure there is a way to improve the response (reduce lag) by tuning - or at least I hope there is.
While I'm not certain, the new mustang is throttle-by-wire so the lag doesn't come from there but more likely from the transmission itself. Correct me if I'm wrong but autos usually experience lag due to the fact that they operate using fluid (and forces have to be transferred through the fluid) versus solid to solid contact (which allows almost instantaneous transfer of force.

So, my question is, how would tuning chance the fundamental way an auto tranny operates and thus eliminate or reduce lag?

Quick Reply: Ways to improve throttle response?