GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

understanding turbos

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/15, 05:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
understanding turbos

I understand turbochargers in principle, but my questions are these:

1. Do you have to floor the accelerator to engage the turbo? If you do not floor it does it never engage? Or does it kick in at a certain rpm? If so, can the rpm at which it engages be varied?

2. If you drive a stick, do you typically engage the turbo in every gear or wait till you get to second?

3. I take it the turbo is indifferent to the gear you're in? So if it's blowing and you change gears it just keeps blowing?

I realize these are ignorant questions, so thanks.

Last edited by robjh22; 8/23/15 at 05:11 PM.
Old 8/23/15, 05:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Every turbo is different. It's output is related to its input - exhaust gases. If you're not into the throttle much then you're not making a lot of exhaust, and as such the turbo want spirit as fast. If you bury the pedal, more exhaust means faster turbo.

Beyond this turbo size/weight has a roll, large turbos can make more power but require more exhaust to spin to higher RPMs. Smaller turbos are the opposite.
Old 8/23/15, 08:17 PM
V6 Member

Okay, thanks.
Old 8/23/15, 11:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
And that whistle or loud hiss you here turbo guys make when shifting is the pressure being released when the RPMs drop.
Old 8/24/15, 05:29 PM
V6 Member

One of my mechanics today recommended a super instead of a turbocharger when I told him the most I will ever do is street race for very short distances. Turbos are better at longer distances but need a little time/distance to spool up. I guess this is why my other mechanic also recommended a supercharger.
Old 8/24/15, 05:52 PM
Cobra R Member

It's not a matter of distances but how each affects the power band and how they are used. Superchargers give you power in a more even manner, distributed more evenly across the power band. Turbos tend to be a little more "peaky", often making more power then a comparable supercharger but at a more specific RPM range.

Which is best for you is determined by your specific needs. Superchargers are often preferred for street use as the power is immediately available, but in the same regard, turbos often give better fuel economy as you are not always in boost.

In regards to "street racing" and what not (please, we have tracks for a reason...), again it depends on the specific set up and what you want out of the vehicle. There are drag racing specific vehicles out there that make use of turbos, and when driven proper a turbo can give you power instantly.
Old 8/25/15, 03:29 PM
V6 Member

Which is best for you is determined by your specific needs.
Well, I need to street race. What is a "track"?

Kidding!!

Thanks, Joey I sincerely appreciate your expertise. I confess to having fantasies of a Corvette with attitude pulling up next to me and my poor little GT standard at a stoplight and smoking him with my supercharged 4.6, but you're right of course ... safety first.
Old 8/25/15, 03:38 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm by no means an expert, however I do understand how they work fundamentally, and how they affect performance. If you decide to boost your engine you'll need a tune, and as such a tuner. I would speak with a competent tuner and see what they have to say about you wants and needs. They can tell you exactly how each will affect your car, and also tell about the different types of each. There are a TON of different turbos and superchargers, and each performs differently. Which will work best for you is dependent on your specific needs.
Old 8/25/15, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 8/26/15, 08:07 AM
Cobra Member

Turbo lag is pretty much a thing of the past at this point.

The reason most go with superchargers is it's just an easier and cheaper option.

In the past turbos weren't matched correctly to certain setups and they would have to "spool" up and you would have a bit of turbo lag.

Nowadays it's not like that at all.

If you've ridden in a turbo car recently you'd probably crap your pants.

Turbos cost more... and they're harder to install with all of the piping.

So for less cost and labor you can basically get the same setup with a supercharger.

The benefit of turbos is there's no parasitic loss (the supercharger costs horsepower to drive it) and you can turn the boost up by literally turning a dial which is a lot nicer than having to swap pulley.

Turbos will make more power than a blower... but if you have a stock motor that point is moot anyway since nearly any blower on the market can make enough boost to blow your motor.

Good luck
Old 8/27/15, 06:57 PM
V6 Member

Thanks, Imtak. I've decide to wait until I get a 5.0 before I get a supercharger. These comments have helped a lot.
Old 8/28/15, 06:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by robjh22
Thanks, Imtak. I've decide to wait until I get a 5.0 before I get a supercharger. These comments have helped a lot.
Glad I could help... I myself have a supercharger, but that's because it was an easy swap with my engine (stock supercharger to bigger supercharger).

Don't get me wrong, turbos do still "spool up" it's just very very minimal at this point with the proper setup.

Put it this way... if I had the cash I'd probably go turbo
Old 8/28/15, 07:12 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I had a turbo 1990 Probe GT in 1990 and loved it, but I went with a supercharger on my 5.0 because it was an easier install. No tapping into oiling system, didn't have to deal with the headers, etc.

The dyno shop that checked my tune said for a street car, superchargers work out better. I realize that is just one person's opinion, but he is a respected tuner. It was also nice to learn that ProCharger's tune was spot on for a safe, daily driver.
Old 8/28/15, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I've got two turbo charged vehicles and one with a twin screw. I'm an old fart and would rather have the twin screw supercharger than the turbos. But that's just me. It all depends on what you want out of the car.