GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Turbo questions + install

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/13, 10:30 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On3 Turbo install

Hello fellow pony sourcers! I have a 2006 GT with about 83k miles on it. I have the following upgrades:
- 62mm GMS throttle body
- charge motion deletion plates
- K&N CAI
- Flowmaster American Thunder axleback
- SCT SF3 tuner with Bama tunes from American Muscle
- JLT oil catch can

I am looking at installing a turbo. I've been talking with the guys from On 3 Performance and I am looking at getting their turbo and installing it myself.

My total budget is not more than 3k for this whole thing, so the price they quoted me was $2598 for turbo kit, their 42# injectors, the MAF kit and the 340lph pump.

So I need some help with some questions I have:

- anybody got their system and installed it and feel like sharing some helpful tips?
- they are telling me I need a different fuel pump. Anybody install their 340lph pump? Is it a pain to install, etc? This is probably the only item I am a bit worried about the installation.
- I have the Bama tunes for life... could Bama provide any kind of tune for me?
- If I have to take the car to a tune shop, could I start it off and drive it off, making sure I don't rev the engine too much? I don't have access to a tow truck.
- should I skip getting their injectors and get the Ford Racing 47# ones from American Muscle?
- anybody know any good shops in Seattle area that do tunes for a decent price? Don't want to get ripped off...

I will turn this into an install thread once I get the parts.

EDIT: changed title.

Last edited by bogdi1988; 3/9/13 at 04:49 AM.
Old 2/27/13, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before you decide give these guys http://www.sandhperformance.com/?page_id=21 a call. A little more money but much better kit, better parts and more complete.

Earl
Old 2/27/13, 11:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
Before you decide give these guys http://www.sandhperformance.com/?page_id=21 a call. A little more money but much better kit, better parts and more complete.

Earl
Wow that's a lot! Looking at adding about $1.2k easily to the price... a bit too much.

Any other suggestions or help with my other questions?
Old 2/27/13, 12:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do some checking. You get what you pay for. There's someone on another forum that used the on3 turbo kit and said that was the biggest mistake he's ever made. The kit wasn't complete, had broke parts that he has to keep sending back, didn't come with nuts or bolts. You might spend 7-800 on the stuff your going to need after the kit. Do your homework first
Old 2/27/13, 12:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by outlawmack
Do some checking. You get what you pay for. There's someone on another forum that used the on3 turbo kit and said that was the biggest mistake he's ever made. The kit wasn't complete, had broke parts that he has to keep sending back, didn't come with nuts or bolts. You might spend 7-800 on the stuff your going to need after the kit. Do your homework first
Most of the reviews I read were very good for the kit...
Old 2/27/13, 12:35 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Knowing absolutely nothing else about it...$2,600 sounds incomplete. Good luck with it.
Old 2/27/13, 12:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bogdi1988

Most of the reviews I read were very good for the kit...
Pm'd
Old 2/27/13, 02:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by outlawmack
Pm'd
i looked at the stuff you sent me. will look more into the kit.
i will say that the guy you PMed me about had a totally different kind of car, so maybe because he had a 01 bullit and not a gt??
Old 2/27/13, 02:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bogdi1988

i looked at the stuff you sent me. will look more into the kit.
i will say that the guy you PMed me about had a totally different kind of car, so maybe because he had a 01 bullit and not a gt??
I dunno could be I didn't think there would be so much different about them though
Old 3/4/13, 12:57 AM
V6 Member

I got the 0 degree colder spark plugs and will order the kit next week. Will do a write up and keep this thread up to date if anybody is interested.

I also found this which got me even more interested in this kit:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...shifter87.html
Old 3/9/13, 04:52 AM
V6 Member

Ordered the turbo kit. Got the following:
On3 Performance 3V turbo
On3 MAF with the custom tig welding for the flange
FRPP 47# injectors
340lph fuel pump (installing this should be interesting :S)
turbo blanket

Expecting these on 3/12.

Also got the following:
FRPP 0 degree colder spark plugs
2in x 50 ft exhaust wrap - got two of these, the copper one.

I will slowly update this thread as I install stuff...

Last edited by bogdi1988; 3/9/13 at 04:54 AM.
Old 3/10/13, 05:35 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
FYI

Early on I got a bama tune. Then I went Saleen SC'ed. Bama told me that forced induction is not included in their free tunes. So include another $300 to 500 for a e-mail tune.
Old 3/10/13, 05:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dly
FYI

Early on I got a bama tune. Then I went Saleen SC'ed. Bama told me that forced induction is not included in their free tunes. So include another $300 to 500 for a e-mail tune.
I didn't even consider an e-mail tune... I am taking my car to a local dyno shop to get a proper tune specifically for my car and not a generic e-mail one

I found out that Bama tunes are pretty nice, but I absolutely hate their shifting points and the car acts like it has a bran of its own sometimes when it wants to switch to a lower gear when in fact it needs to switch to a higher one...
Old 3/17/13, 04:01 PM
V6 Member

So I started on installing the turbo. Worked about 5 hours yesterday, and about 4 so far today.

Got the exhaust off, got all the hot pipes wrapped, O2 sensors transfered, injectors swapped, spark plugs swapped, turbo clocked and prepped, MAF mounted on pipe, BOV mounted, oil feed done on the oil pressure sensor.

Currently working on the oil relocation (50% done), on the oil return hole - this is a *****' effer.

So far... I will say that the kit is great! Their instructions are not step by step as one would want, but they are pretty darn good.
Old 3/17/13, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Make sure your oil drain is always going down, no level areas. You should also avoid sharp turns, no 90* right angles, make it as straight as possible. When you tap the pan do it on the side of the front section not very front.

Earl
Old 3/17/13, 09:26 PM
V6 Member

Make sure your oil drain is always going down, no level areas. You should also avoid sharp turns, no 90* right angles, make it as straight as possible. When you tap the pan do it on the side of the front section not very front.

Earl
I managed to get the oil pan punched ok. Was working on mounting the turbo and the turbo pipe and ran in a bit of an issue...

I have a 2006 GT so it looks like my cooling system is a bit different than in the instructions. I have two cooling pipes, one on left and one on right side... not the one that goes from passenger side (water tank) to the drivers side and gets in the engine.

Looks like I'll have to see what On3 says tomorrow. I got some rubber pipes and I think I can extend them OK.

I am a bit lost on another issue... idk where/how the oil filter from the oil relocation kit hangs on the car...

Other than that, it's going good.
I have to do the cold side, finish up the hot side, replace the fuel pump and add the vacuum lines. Will keep updating this.

Here's a few pictures so far:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--...317_165627.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N...317_165550.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-U...317_165557.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q...317_161138.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Q...317_161121.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-O...317_161129.jpg
Old 3/17/13, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

The best way is to convert to the 07 water and cross over pipe but it would be another cost. Th filter usually mounts on the frame section behind the bumper and inside the driver side inner fender liner.

Earl
Old 3/17/13, 10:54 PM
V6 Member

The best way is to convert to the 07 water and cross over pipe but it would be another cost. Th filter usually mounts on the frame section behind the bumper and inside the driver side inner fender liner.

Earl
How much? Do you have any guide anywhere?
Old 3/20/13, 12:07 PM
V6 Member

Update:
Got all the exhaust piping installed and bolted. Got the turbo in, oil source and return connected and all I have left is to extend the MAF cable, replace the fuel pump and to mount the oil filter and I am done.
Had a few issues and questions and called On3 and they've been very helpful.
Old 3/20/13, 12:32 PM
V6 Member

I got a question, maybe someone here can help.
The On3 kit removes the cat O2 sensors. I know WA state just hooks up a ODB2 device and that's how they do the emissions tests. Anybody know how I can make the care 'road legal'?
If i just disable the O2s sensors in the tune would I still pass the emissions test? Or is there a device that simulates the output of the O2 sensors and I could plug in and the car would think the cats and O2 sensors are there and they work?

Quick Reply: Turbo questions + install