GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tuner void warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/07, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner void warranty???

Tomorrow I am putting on my Steeda CAI and tunning my car with a diablosport predator, before I do, I was wondering if this is going to void my cars extended warranty?

Thanks
Old 3/16/07, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd recommend doing a search on this forum for "Void Warranty CAI"... there's a TON of threads with excellent info. Bottomline: keep your stock intake, and when you do require Dealer Warranty work, take off the aftermarket CAI, put on the stock intake, and reflash PCM back to stock tune. Put on ~ 50 miles of normal driving (to data log PCM), and take it in. Otherwise, you could end up in a p*ssing contest with the Dealership over what part caused what problem.
Old 3/16/07, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Okay, great advice, thanks
Old 3/16/07, 11:22 AM
Cobra R Member

no aftermarket mods will void your warranty, but many mgr's etc would like you to think so and that is who you will be dealing with. So find a mod freindly ford dealer is my best advice, then they will only void things that are caused by your modifications not the whole warranty. Magnusson warranty act or something like that explains the law on this matter. Otherwise ford could say you can only buy are parts etc, which is illegal but many dealerships will try and keep you from doing anything to them. I would ask for people that live in your area to give you some heads up on good dealers. Good Luck, you wont be sorry tuning it, If you havent picked a tuner yet, Doug at Bamachips is awesome and he is now doing predator as well as sct. Later.
Old 3/16/07, 12:14 PM
V6 Member

Check with your dealer. I went over to mine yesterday and for them the rep said it basically like this.

"If the mod causes the problem you are responsible, no matter if we do the work our yourself. We are not going to penalize you if you change your muffler and the radio breaks we are not like that. But if you put on a blower and it explodes then you have a problem."
Old 3/16/07, 03:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what he said
Old 3/17/07, 12:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yellow05
Tomorrow I am putting on my Steeda CAI and tunning my car with a diablosport predator, before I do, I was wondering if this is going to void my cars extended warranty?

Thanks
If your really worried just put the factory air box on and flash back if you take it in for warranty work!..........Brent at brenspeed suggested this to me on a couple different warranty issue's.....
Old 3/17/07, 04:17 PM
V6 Member

Question This is a real issue and it's better to be prepared

On August 9th, 2005 Blake posted:
Originally Posted by BLAKE
It's my understanding that an aftermarket tune is enough to void the drivetrain warranty, as the dealer can claim that the mods/tune can have damaged whatever part may have caused you to bring the car in for repair (transmission for example).

It will not, however, effect the entire car's warranty. They'll still fix your stereo or whatever.

That stuff said, I "heard" from a "friend" that with a stock tune reinstalled and touching the battery cables together it effectively "reboots" the factory computer and the dealer wouldn't know it had been run with an aftermarket tune.* It also depends on the dealer, as some are more mod-friendly than others.

* I'm not reccomending this proceedure, and I'm no kind of master tech. Just relaying what I heard from what I consider to be a fairly reliable source.
I have not seen any response that confirms or denies this. It's my hope that a Ford mechanic (or somebody who knows what he/she is talking about) will comment on this.

In the past I have extended the dealer the courtesy of replacing the tune with the factory one, along with the CAI, etc., when bringing the car in. That may not be enough, no matter how many miles you put on afterwards.

By the way, I believe that after you reset your vehicle's onboard computer and restore the stock programming with your Programmer, you should disconnect the battery (negative/minus end) for about 5 minutes and then drive it around for a while, before visiting your Ford dealer. Will this remove all traces of the "crime" that you have committed? I dunno . . . but somebody out there does.
Old 3/17/07, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

Thumbs up Sounds reasonable

m05fastbackGT on February 18th, 2007:
(http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...nty+Programmer)
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
whenever you need to take your Stang back to the dealership for servicing ? just re-flash back to your stock program and re-install your factory airbox and the dealer can't prove you re-flashed anything.. Just make sure that once you re-flash back to stock that you disconect your neagative battery cable then after 20 min. or so reconnect it and drive your Stang for about 50 miles or so before taking it in for servicing, this resets your computer so that the dealer cannot prove you reflashed your ECM.
Old 3/17/07, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I believe it's up to the dealership. Here's my experience.

I bought my '03 Cobra used with 9k miles. It had a Borla Stinger and Tri-Ax shifter. Everything in the engine compartment looked original including the airbox. Heck, it still had a Ford paper element filter! Based on all this, I assumed the PCM had never been flashed. When my 36 months expired, I decided to purchase the extended warranty. My service advisor told me that they had to "inspect" the car. At this time, it had only 17k miles on it. I asked what "inspect" meant. Basically he said not to worry about it; that all they do is connect their "diagnostic machine" to it to read "stuff". I assumed they were going to check to see if the the PCM was flashed. I wasn't worried at all because I KNEW the flash was original. Thirty minutes later, all was well and I bought the warranty.

About six months later, I connected some indicator LEDs. One was for the intercooler pump. Something odd occurred. The PCM was turning the pump on almost all the time which I know isn't Ford's programming. This is when I started suspecting my PCM was flashed. Sometime later, I was driving on I-8 in the middle of the Arizona desert and up comes a black Porsche from California. Let's just say my speedo did read 162 when we decided enough was enough. This confirmed my suspicions. The factory has the speed limited to 155.

Bottom line: The dealership allowed me to purchase the extended warranty with a modified tune file.
Old 3/18/07, 09:05 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,706 Posts
I don't mean to start up a flame war here but I've mentioned time and time again in other threads as well as other forum members that the dealer can only refuse to service a vehicle under a warranty claim..Therefore it's not up to the dealers and only Ford itself has the legal authority to void their factory warranties and that's only if it's been proven that an aftermarket product was directly responsible for causing the warranted part in question to fail..If in the event a dealership claims otherwise ? don't even bother wasting your time getting into an argument, just walk away and find another dealership that's mod friendly and isn't such a bonehead
Old 3/19/07, 08:01 AM
V6 Member

Question Paranoia or Possibility?

What you say is true, m05fastbackGT & Willie. And I've had really good luck with my heavily modded camaro . . . mind you, when the rotors got warped, I replaced them with Wilwoods. My rear defroster was replaced/fixed twice under warranty.

All dealers have a database attached to our cars' VINs.

Is there a field for "unauthorized modifications" in this database? If there is, then one disgruntled Service Manager can burn us.

Examples:
HIDs installed - entire electrical system warranty is null & void
CAI installed - entire drive train system warranty is null & void
SFCs installed - entire chassis system warranty is null & void
LCAs installed - entire suspension system warranty is null & void