GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Traction Control Button

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/07, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a wire close to the under hood fuse box that is powered only when the engine is running. I used this to power my aftermarket gages. My car is in storage, but I'll pull the cover off and post a photo within the next few days.
Old 12/31/07, 04:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got word back from the timer manufacturer.
Hi Steve,
The functions that Jumpers J2 and J3 control, cannot be used together. There is no work around that I am aware of.
Bob
So I start thinking again... Hmmm.. Let me try something I was told wouldn't work.

I Pulled a Micro Relay out of another car, attached the radio speakers off on start wire to the coil side, the TCS signal wire to the switch side, grounded what was left. Worked every time.... This mod just got cheap and easy. A relay two wire splices and a ground.

Had to put the relay back in the Shelby... Auto part stores only had 30 amp monsters. I'll install one use it for a week or so then post again....

R&D in public

This is from pony express performance. I dont know if they make one for the 05+ like the ones they have for 99-04.

http://www.mach1performance.org/traction.htm#tach
I googled the C&*P out of this and couldn't find anything thanks for the heads up....
Old 12/31/07, 05:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

wow this is very interesting.... i want to do this too...

when you get the bugs out i am in for a box!

thanks for doing all the work man!
Old 12/31/07, 06:00 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Generally speaking, the Traction Control activates ABS below 35 mph and uses engine torque management above 35 mph. I believe on earlier Fords, it will pull spark to the point the car stalls out if the ABS is unable to do the job.

On my 00 Vic, the Traction Control switch is a momentary switch connected to the ABS module. If you short the wires together, it will disable TC. So if you buy a SPDT rocker switch and set it to ON (short the leads together) full-time, the TC will default to OFF. When you want to re-enable the TC, just rock the switch once. It will cost you $3 total. Some people devised elaborate circuits involving 555 timers and other components to accomplish what a $3 rocker switch does. I have not evaluated the S197 Trac Ctrl system since TRW's ABS system is different from Bosch that is used in the Crown Victoria. However, the OFFICIAL Ford OEM approved method of disabling Traction Control on the Crown Victoria is to install a jumper connector for the 2 Trac Ctrl leads (again, this what a rocker switch can do but also allow full control).

I just leave the Traction Control on because our Mustangs do not have dynamic stability control and would benefit from every safety device available. Traction Control on other Fords can be a $130 option! The aftermarket vendor who made your blower kit should have provided a tune to handle the traction control if excessive traction loss will cause a lean condition.
Old 12/31/07, 06:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

once this winter i had the tc on and was trying to get up a hill in snow.... and it killed the motor twice on me... you really have to be careful how far you let it go...

if you just use a rocker switch to disable it wont it show up in the information center with "trac disabled" like it wont work, not like you just pushed the button???
Old 12/31/07, 08:11 PM
GTR Member

The S197 has an information center? I guess that comes with the IUP. I just have an odometer (only displays odometer or trip odometer, I push an old-school retro button to switch between these 2 displays - very high tech).

It all depends on how the Mustang's ABS module enables/disables TC. On the Crown Vic, shorting the two TC leads would disable it and keeps it disabled. Pull the leads apart and then short them again to enable (like a momentary switch).
Old 1/1/08, 10:30 AM
GTR Member

The rocker switch works for the Crown Vic because the Trac Ctrl switch is tied directly to the ABS module.

For the S197, it looks a tad more complicated. I've attached the wiring diagram where the trac ctrl switch is shown. It appears to be tied in with the message center and SJB, probably part of a CANBUS network or multiplexing network that interfaces with the ABS module.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
trac_Ctrl1.pdf (78.4 KB, 381 views)
Old 1/1/08, 10:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

yea just a tad bit complicated.....
Old 1/1/08, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

So am I to understand from this post, that the TC can be a problem to my motor in my car with Say a Whipple HO. If it ingauges when the tires break loose. Call me a noobie but I really want to know. I don't want to damage my car.
Old 1/1/08, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
if you just use a rocker switch to disable it wont it show up in the information center with "trac disabled" like it wont work, not like you just pushed the button???
You are correct if thats what you want to do. Just hook PIN 7 wire off the TCS switch WHT/PNK to a a grounded switch. Turn the switch on and TCS is always off. I tried it for a while today, drove around a little, no error messages. It like someone is pushing the button and won't let go. If you wired it into the arm rest box with a nice looking switch. That's one way of doing it. Splice, wire, and a switch... about $6.

Long term affects of having the button pushed all the time? Should be OK, but what do I know.......

Originally Posted by TASSY5
So am I to understand from this post, that the TC can be a problem to my motor in my car with Say a Whipple HO. If it ingauges when the tires break loose. Call me a noobie but I really want to know. I don't want to damage my car.
Yes, if it pulls fuel under boost. Not good ..... I would love to get the Shelby TCS program in my GT.. less aggressive and if you bring it up to 3200 rpm and let out the clutch and floor it the Shelby TCS says, wow a race, lets help him go like hell....

From Car & Driver
The GT500 also has a useful launch-control system that’s part of the standard traction control. To get a nearly perfect hole shot, all you have to do is rev the engine to 3200 rpm, dump the clutch, and floor it. The system automatically modulates engine power to make the driver look like Kenny Bernstein. With it, we hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TCS Disable.pdf (183.0 KB, 322 views)
Old 1/1/08, 07:49 PM
V6 Member

Quote:

Yes, if it pulls fuel under boost. Not good ..... I would love to get the Shelby TCS program in my GT.. less aggressive and if you bring it up to 3200 rpm and let out the clutch and floor it the Shelby TCS says, wow a race, lets help him go like hell....
So if I have an 07 but don't want to loose the TC. What should my next step be? How can I add the Shelby TCS program or equil to my GT. The Whipple HO. goes on in 1 week. I don't want to have a bad situation from this even thought the kit comes with a GT500 pump set up.
Old 1/1/08, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Steved, do you think you could do an idiot's guide to install this with the timer? Like exactly where I'd have to splice and all? =)
Old 1/1/08, 09:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jimp
Steved, do you think you could do an idiot's guide to install this with the timer? Like exactly where I'd have to splice and all? =)
Will do.
But metroplex got me thinking. Cheap & simple has it merits. I replaced the timer with a cheap relay. That made the install three wires. I'll run with it for a few days and post a TacoBill style write up with an electrical drawing....

Old 1/1/08, 09:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Steved you are awesome. I can get a relay for free. ;-)
Old 1/1/08, 09:35 PM
V6 Member

So if I have an 07 but don't want to loose the TC. What should my next step be? How can I add the Shelby TCS program or equil to my GT. The Whipple HO. goes on in 1 week. I don't want to have a bad situation from this even thought the kit comes with a GT500 pump set up.
I'd love to know how to add the Shelby TC program. But when I talk to the speed shops they look at me with the eyes of a chicken. It's like I'm talking another language.

You'll going to love the Whipple, My wife's GT/CS dyno was 486 hp.

Just remember to turn off the TC before hitting the Go Pedal ....

The relay mod was pretty easy I should have it posted by then.

Maybe ask the maker of your TUNER if enough people ask for TC turner programs, maybe they'll do something.
Old 1/2/08, 07:07 PM
V6 Member

Here ya go....
Traction Control Auto Off Mod

Last edited by Steved; 3/6/08 at 10:48 AM.