GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tokico shocks remote adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/08, 02:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokico shocks remote adjusters

Hello fellas, I have another question for you guys.

I may upgrade my shocks when my stockers are worn (wont take long I drive through Brooklyn)

I have my heart set on some tokico d-spec shocks. I know you can get the remote adjusters that allow th rear dampening to be changed by opening up the trunk and twisting the *****.

However since this is my DD car, I would love to have some sort of motorized remote adjuster both front and back giving me the option to dial in the dampening to whatever the situation calls for on the fly.

Anyone have any ideas on products that can be used or is there even such a thing?
Old 11/7/08, 03:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
Hello fellas, I have another question for you guys.

I may upgrade my shocks when my stockers are worn (wont take long I drive through Brooklyn)

I have my heart set on some tokico d-spec shocks. I know you can get the remote adjusters that allow th rear dampening to be changed by opening up the trunk and twisting the *****.

However since this is my DD car, I would love to have some sort of motorized remote adjuster both front and back giving me the option to dial in the dampening to whatever the situation calls for on the fly.

Anyone have any ideas on products that can be used or is there even such a thing?
I don't know the answer, but that sounds sweet! Subscribing
Old 11/7/08, 03:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything is possible, but I would guess it would be expensive as hell to have it motorized. I just keep mine on setting 2. Unless you just have to much money and need to waste some, I would think it would be worthless considering they can be adjusted in about 10 seconds
Old 11/7/08, 06:03 AM
Bullitt Member

There's nothing out there that I have heard
Old 11/7/08, 07:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It would have to be custom fabricated. It wouldn't be really difficult, but it would be challenging. You would have to find a small electric motor and replace the shaft with a allen shaft (I forget what size). The biggest problem would be finding a motor that didn't turn very fast, but powerful enough to turn spin the adjuster. You would need a motor for each side, obviously. I just think it's easier to jump out and spend the 5-10 seconds it takes to adjust them, myself. But if you want to go for it, it shouldn't be extremely difficult.

I'm not sure what RPMs you would need, but this seems to be pretty low.
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/Dayton/2M197.htm

Then you would obviously need to make a bracket to mount it with, run the wiring, and use a 3 way rocker switch for each side.
Old 11/7/08, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok so there are no solutions out there for these? I know I can make something out of stepper motors. The motor pointed above would spin way too fast and probably not have enough tourque. Hell if done properly I can have 20-30 different dampening steps. As low as 1/4turn.

Looks like the DIY is going to be my option. If these work out, what would you guys think a reasonable price could be? Hell I could probably make them wireless.
Old 11/8/08, 05:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I found what I was looking for.

The two manufacturers I found are Tain and Cusco

both offer controllers. Now to figure out if they fit the tokico shocks or even posibly get a set of koni shocks.
Old 11/8/08, 06:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm...Well keep us updated. Interested to see how it goes.
Old 11/8/08, 07:48 PM
DKO
V6 Member

Yes Tein has the EDFC (electronic dampening force controller) and cusco also has a version of the same thing. Only problem is that they probably won't have mounting brackets to fit the upper strut mounts they sit on top of and I doubt they will work for the Tokicos.

My reason for saying this is that both Tein and Cusco are both extremely expensive and pretty high quality aftermarket import suspension manufacturers. You know, that crazy JDM **** that kids with hondas and 240sx's flip out over? Same stuff. Well they have their own shock and strut design that is incorporated in their coil-overs. They call them 'fully threaded body coil-overs". What makes them so **** special is beyond me, but they're extremely pricey (some going for as much as $2-3k) and while I know Tein makes mustang springs, I don't foresee them making a coilover or an EDFC.

I'm going to have to side with everyone else and say put the money you would spend doing this into some other mods. I've known a couple Nissan and Toyota owners who had the Tein system with the remote control and they rarely ever used it and considered it a waste of money, they also had some issues with the little motors going out, requiring them to remove them to adjust the settings.
Old 11/8/08, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DKO
Yes Tein has the EDFC (electronic dampening force controller) and cusco also has a version of the same thing. Only problem is that they probably won't have mounting brackets to fit the upper strut mounts they sit on top of and I doubt they will work for the Tokicos.

My reason for saying this is that both Tein and Cusco are both extremely expensive and pretty high quality aftermarket import suspension manufacturers. You know, that crazy JDM **** that kids with hondas and 240sx's flip out over? Same stuff. Well they have their own shock and strut design that is incorporated in their coil-overs. They call them 'fully threaded body coil-overs". What makes them so **** special is beyond me, but they're extremely pricey (some going for as much as $2-3k) and while I know Tein makes mustang springs, I don't foresee them making a coilover or an EDFC.

I'm going to have to side with everyone else and say put the money you would spend doing this into some other mods. I've known a couple Nissan and Toyota owners who had the Tein system with the remote control and they rarely ever used it and considered it a waste of money, they also had some issues with the little motors going out, requiring them to remove them to adjust the settings.
Im not beyond fabricating special mounts. My reason for having them is to have a DD that I can adjust. I might go for koni shocks as well. So we will see how it goes. The reason I want them is because I drive through Brooklyn on a daily basis so softening the dampening while im in Brooklyn and then stiffening it when I get to queens when the roads are better.
Old 11/9/08, 09:19 AM
GT Member

I was thinking about doing something like this. For the bracket you could weld a nut onto a L-bracket and have the stepper motors attach to those. Then have a motor driver hooked up to 4 two-numeral displays (show 0-30) so you know the level its at. Or you could use servos and remove the stoppers and have a counting system set up too.