GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tillman Speed Custom Tuning Sale - Round 2!

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/09, 10:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tillman Speed Custom Tuning Sale - Round 2!

We're offering up another round of Tillman Speed custom tuning at great discounted pricing! This is an opportunity to get ahold custom tunes for your S197 mustang at a steal, and a chance for us to spread the word of our grand reopening at our new facilities, and website launch in just a few short weeks!

We will be offering NATURALLY ASPIRATED SCT TUNES for $49.99 per tune - down from $75 dollars!

We will be offering FORCED INDUCTION SCT TUNES for $124.99 per tune - down from $185 dollars!

We have tunes for Cams! (Naturally Aspirated Add $9.99 | Forced Induction Included Free)

We have tunes for Twin In-Tank Fuel Systems! (Naturally Aspirated Add $9.99 | Forced Induction Included Free)

Paypal payments preferred. Address is chris.rose@apdperformance.com

Please include the following information:

Year Make Model
Tire Sizes
Gear Ratio
Any Aftermarket Mods
PCM Code or Strategy Code
Email To Send Files To

Please also include your choice of tunes from the following:

94 Track (Drag Strip)
94 Road Race (Auto X, Road Course, Etc.)
94 Street Race (Street/Strip)
94 Performance (Street)
93 Track (Drag Strip)
93 Road Race (Auto X, Road Course, Etc.)
93 Street Race (Street/Strip) *Tillman Speed Reccomended
93 Performance (Street)
92 Track (Drag Strip)
92 Road Race (Auto X, Road Course, Etc.)
92 Street Race (Street/Strip)
92 Performance (Street)
91 Track (Drag Strip)
91 Road Race (Auto X, Road Course, Etc.)
91 Street Race (Street/Strip)
91 Performance (Street)
89 Performance (Street)
87 Performance (Street)

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
Old 1/13/09, 12:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up Opinion on Tillman Tune by a Recent Buyer

I took advantage of Tillman's Thanksgiving special to purchase the 89 Performance and 91 Street Race tunes (only have 91 gas in Cali). For anyone who hasn't loaded a custom tune yet, is looking to upgrade an underperforming previous tune (like I was), or doesn't have the means or opportunity for a custom dyno tune, the value here cannot be beat.

I have only used the Street Race tune so far; I purchased the 89 tune only in case (when?) gas gets rediculously expensive again.

The difference over my previous tune was remarkable. I felt as if my Mustang had dropped 400 lbs. It just felt like I had a new engine. The sluggishness and occasional throttle delay I had previously felt disappeared. Whereas previously I had a relatively small "sweet spot" where my Mustang felt quite powerful, Chris' tune puts the power throughout almost all of the RPM range and the thing just does not quit accelerating its acceleration! Moreover, the tune makes it so easy to break loose the tires at will. Its no exaggeration to say it made my Mustang fun to drive again.

I had heard good things, and so expected to be wowed, but one surprise I found was that the tune seemed to "loosen up" the whole car. I can't explain why exactly, but the handling actually improved, with the car feeling more responsive to my input on the steering wheel, for example. This may simply be a side effect of getting rid of the sluggishness that was plaguing me.

The tune also makes the Mustang very responsive on the throttle, sometimes to the point of being a little difficult to control in the low gears, although after some time getting used to it this isn't as much a problem for me as it was during the first couple weeks I was running the tune. But anyway, just a light touch of the gas gets her to dig in and take off.

One negative side-effect I've noted is a small drop in mileage, although this isn't necessarily an apples-to-apples comparison. My feeling, also, is that if you're especially concerned with good gas mileage, you're better off riding completely stock or--god forbid--buying a Toyota Pious.

One last thing to mention - Chris' customer service really is quite good. I was getting rich CELs after loading the tune. I talked to Chris explaining what the problem was, having emailed him my dyno sheets. He took a good amount of time to look at the sheets, explain what he thought was going on, correct it, and send me a revised tune (at no charge). He also sent me a second version of the tune with slightly different wheel specs, since I told him I'd be upgrading my wheels and tires shortly. Chris is easy to get a hold of and is always pleasant on the phone. I've talked to him three times, I think, and he's never sounded bothered. I would say that Chris' customer service is exemplary except that he was a little slow responding to me after I had first loaded the tune. In fact, I had to call back a few weeks after he told me he'd send a revised tune to remind him that I was waiting. I don't fault him much for this, though, because it was both during the holidays, and because I know he was up to his eyeballs helping out other customers and forum members, and sometimes these things just slip, which is cool. And ultimately, he solved my problem relatively quickly, for which I am grateful.

In sum: if you're thinking about it, do yourself a favor and buy a Tillman tune.

(*In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I have not tried other well-regarded tunes by Bamachips or Brenspeed and so have no basis of comparison; however, I am happy enough with the Tillman tune that I have no plans to check them out).
Old 1/13/09, 05:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I agree, Tillman Speed tunes are the only tunes i have used that can get my automatic GT with MINOR mods(i am talking just CMCV deletes, a JLT, and an exhuast) SQUEAL the tires in first, second, and the beginning of third gear from a hard take-off. I have used Bamachips and Brenspeed tunes before and they always seemed like they were lacking somehow. Do not get me wrong they are great companies and at one time i was a loyal follower of Bamachips but after getting my CMCV deletes and loading Bama tunes one day and Tillman the next, the car was two different machines. I could not believe it, but once i drove around for a while the tune just kept getting better. I was getting a nice rough idle almost like i had a cam but at the same time the car would pull even at 1/4 throttle, I do not have to floor it to pass anyone on the highway now and it is an even better feeling when i do. The tunes are great and god willing this sale lasts till i get my financial aid check i might buy two more tunes. Currently i have the 93 street race, i will more than likely buy the 89 performance (for the long drives to school and back everyday) and the 93 Road Race.
Old 1/13/09, 06:19 AM

Chris,

This definitely has my interest...what are the gains in rwhp and torque with the 89 Performance tune on an '08 5spd GT with 18" Bullitts and stock tire size, 3.55 rear?

Thanks!

Last edited by rowdyram; 1/13/09 at 06:21 AM.
Old 1/13/09, 09:26 AM
Former Vendor

Any performance mods to the vehicle? Cold air intake setup? 89 Octane usually nets 8-10RWHP less when you're in the area of 290-310RWHP on 93. You're probably looking at 280-285 or so. 87 octane on a factory car will probably bring you to 265SAE. So you might see 15-20RWHP increase with a CAI.
Old 1/13/09, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great. I've gotta gather all the req'd info. I'll shoot ya an email this week.
Old 1/13/09, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Any performance mods to the vehicle? Cold air intake setup? 89 Octane usually nets 8-10RWHP less when you're in the area of 290-310RWHP on 93. You're probably looking at 280-285 or so. 87 octane on a factory car will probably bring you to 265SAE. So you might see 15-20RWHP increase with a CAI.
No performance mods to the vehicle (yet)...bone stock 08 GT. So from reading this, it'll put me at 280-285 rwhp? Saving my pennies right now...
Old 1/13/09, 05:01 PM
Cobra Member

i want to thank chris for the ease of scheduling my dyno tuning on Feb 14th! thanks dude!

i myself have had brenspeed tunes, some worked good and some not so good. i cant wait to find out how different of a beast this car is going to be!

this will be my first time ever on the dyno, with any of my cars and i say to myself. WHAT THE HELL HAVE I BEEN WAITING FOR!! lol
Old 1/13/09, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took advantage of the November special and Chris sent me the Street Race 93 octane tune. Well, I'll admit I'm very picky with regard to pedal feel and I just didn't like the feel of the Street Race tune for road course work. It was a very busy time of year, but Chris revised the throttle settings to the Road Race tune for me.

I've used the other tuners in the past (and was always happy with them), but the power of this tune is NOTICABLY increased. The torque down low, in particular. The first drive out I dropped the F-bomb because it caught me by surprise. I highly recommend these tunes!
Old 1/13/09, 06:59 PM
Former Vendor

Without a CAI on 89 octane you're probably only going to see 10-15RWHP increase from 265-270ish at the wheels. It all depends on how strong your car dynos factory.
Old 1/13/09, 07:02 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by classix_stang289
i want to thank chris for the ease of scheduling my dyno tuning on Feb 14th! thanks dude!

i myself have had brenspeed tunes, some worked good and some not so good. i cant wait to find out how different of a beast this car is going to be!

this will be my first time ever on the dyno, with any of my cars and i say to myself. WHAT THE HELL HAVE I BEEN WAITING FOR!! lol
We can't wait!

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
Old 1/13/09, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by classix_stang289

Well Happy Valentine's Day to you!