GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sway bars, control arms, torque limiters installed

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/07, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sway bars, control arms, torque limiters installed

I had the BMR front and rear sway bars, CHE upper and lower control arms, and CHE K-member brace with torque limiters installed today. Wow, what a difference. The car feels much more solid going over bumps. I've got speed bumps on one of the streets in my subdivision, and you have to slow down to 25 mph to go over them. Before, the car sounded like a bucket of bolts going over them, and felt loose. Now, it's much more solid, and sounds and feels much tighter. No more bucket of bolts.

The car stays much flatter in turns, and the handling has gone up measureably by my SOTP meter. And that's with the stock 17" wheels and tires. Right now, the handling ability outstrips the tires.

The downside is a slighty stiffer ride, although not objectionable by any means. Really not even enough to even talk about. If you live in an area of potholed or very rough streets, you might notice it. But on smoother streets it's very negligible. There is a minor increase in NVH, but not enough to complain about. The improvement in handling far overshadows the small increase in ride stiffness and noise.

The torque limiters have made a nice difference in being able to hit 3rd gear. And that's with the stock shifter. I can't wait til I get my Hurst installed. There is also a little more NVH associated with the torque limiters, but once again, not worth complaining about. One problem I do have is that the clunking from the driveline slop that I had earlier is now a really annoying clanging. The mechanic said it is due to the torque limiters not allowing the engine/transmission to move and absorb the shock. I'm going to do some more poking around on that the next time I have the car up on a hoist. Maybe the aluminum 1-piece driveshaft will help.

All in all, I am very pleased with this setup. Kevin at PMP recommended it, and I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about the possibility of my car riding like a skateboard. But the car rides very well still, is much tighter, and handling is much improved. Way to go Kevin

My next suspension mods are Steeda torque box braces and 18x9" CS56 wheels with Goodyear F1 DS-G3 rubber. Then I'll have a 1:1 scale Mustang slot car
Old 7/18/07, 10:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is some slop in the OEM 2 piece driveshaft and I have issues with it from time to time. You can really hear and feel it if you shift gears at low rpm's. I'm hoping that replacing the driveshaft will help and also reduce some rotating mass.