GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Supercharger & Cams, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/08, 05:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger & Cams, is it worth it?

Well as most of you know, I've been running the whipple supercharger on my car for 2 years now. best decision I ever made.

now comes yet another mod bug that I'm debating. CAMS! I've taken quite a few visits to Tillman Speed, some of his previous customers have showed up to his shop for friendly visits and the sound of the cams literally makes me want to cream myself. the cars sound sick. some have had blowers and some have been N/A.

my question to anyone, given the fact that I'm running a 10psi whipple supercharger @ 480RWHP, is it worth it to buy cams, like the FRPP Hot Rod cams I keep hearing about or the brenspeed or bamachips grind cams? will the s/c combination along with cams be too much for stock internals? whats the added benefits of adding the cams and the negative effects on a supercharged application?
Old 10/29/08, 05:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm running the Brenspeed twin-screw cams from Comp. We haven't fully tuned the car yet other than putting them in and running the base file, but I should have some dyno numbers on Saturday. FWIW the car seems to pull strong on the top end, the bottom feels the same.
Old 10/29/08, 12:20 PM

I am questioning what steps I should take next. The only thing I have changed is the axle-backs. However, I get back from deployment and will have a bit of extra cash to throw around. I have been told that the stock GT motor is not really strong enough to handle the supercharger. So it sways me to getting the long tubes, x-pipe, cams, CAI and tune first and leaving it. On the same note, I really want that power. Any advice?
Old 10/29/08, 01:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mizzou_guy21
I am questioning what steps I should take next. The only thing I have changed is the axle-backs. However, I get back from deployment and will have a bit of extra cash to throw around. I have been told that the stock GT motor is not really strong enough to handle the supercharger. So it sways me to getting the long tubes, x-pipe, cams, CAI and tune first and leaving it. On the same note, I really want that power. Any advice?
not true! our motors CAN handle the power, between 8-10psi of boost and as long as the tune is conservative! I'm running 10psi @ 480RWHP, couldn't be happier. there are others running more HP than that, same boost level. its all in the tune! i'd go the s/c, you wont be dissapointed
Old 10/29/08, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
whats the added benefits of adding the cams ?
Well, that depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If it's the sound you want, then that's a benefit. But that's a chunk of change for sound IMO.

A supercharged car can do just fine with stock cams. I just went through a refresh on my engine, and I told Adam that I wanted it to run mid to high 10s, and still be a daily driver. I asked if I needed to change the cams. His answer was no. He was right. It's already gone 10.58 @ 128 on a hot day... stock cams and all.

Glad I didn't spend that money on cams.

Old 10/29/08, 02:54 PM
Cobra Member

LMMC member
Whippled and cammed
517rwhp/514rwtq. There is more in it but pegged the MAF
dynatech LT's, catted X, ford racing mufflers(stingers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kso8P2i4aA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAyMXrZfltk

Last edited by Shotokan1509; 10/29/08 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10/29/08, 10:53 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
LMMC member
Whippled and cammed
517rwhp/514rwtq. There is more in it but pegged the MAF
dynatech LT's, catted X, ford racing mufflers(stingers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kso8P2i4aA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAyMXrZfltk
Dam that sounds good! Why don't any of these guys rev in their vids?
Old 10/30/08, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

The hot rod cams are not designed for blowers. you will loose boost which is what the blower you paid so much for is for. So if you need more power then go with a smaller pulley or for sound I would at least go with some cams designed for blowers. Your also at about the edge of stock innards.
Old 10/30/08, 08:58 AM
Former Vendor

Go with like a Comp Cams Blower grind. It's going to be much better for you. The stage I blower cam is nice! Still no springs required, but you may still have to pulley up like 1 PSI to be safe. You'll be in the same area as that Whipple 517RWHPish.

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
Old 11/2/08, 04:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Update:

Since the addition of the Brenspeed-spec blower cams from Comp Cams, and the Saleen ultimate intake kit and mass air, I went from 450/450 to now 501/455 at the tires. No custom tuning on the dyno, just an email tune from Brenspeed that was adjusted for the cams and intake system.

501 rwhp has me debating on stepping up a size on the blower pulley......