GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Stock vs. Steeda springs

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/09, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock vs. Steeda springs

I am debating between steeda sport and ultralite springs. I know that the sport springs are stiffer than the ultralites, but how do the ultralites compare to the stock springs? Are the stiffer? Roughly the same? I dont take the car to the track, so I want a comfortable ride but the stock ride is fine.
Old 1/12/09, 12:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search on this topic and you will find tons of info, including my review of my Ultralites. They will be much stiffer than stock and if you want a cushy ride, then no spring that lowers the car is going to satisfy your need for a comfortable ride. The Ultralite is probably one of the least stiff for lowered springs, but there was a huge difference when I put the Ultralites and ProAction struts on my Mustang. The FRPP springs and struts are even stiffer.
Old 1/12/09, 08:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
Do a search on this topic and you will find tons of info, including my review of my Ultralites. They will be much stiffer than stock and if you want a cushy ride, then no spring that lowers the car is going to satisfy your need for a comfortable ride. The Ultralite is probably one of the least stiff for lowered springs, but there was a huge difference when I put the Ultralites and ProAction struts on my Mustang. The FRPP springs and struts are even stiffer.
I did a search and only found a comparison of ultralites to sports. I wanted a comparison of ultralites to stock. I want the better handling but since i dont do competitive driving I figured I would go for the softer springs, but only if they are not softer than the stock springs. So...are the Steeda Ultralite springs stiffer or softer than the stock springs.
Old 1/12/09, 08:21 AM
Cobra Member

here is one of several that might help...

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=474231
Old 1/12/09, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Better handling.... sway bars.

I used to be on the train of though that performance in the engine bay was all that mattered. Once I got my new Mustang it seemed cheaper to do the suspension first.

I'm not kidding when I say it was night and day when I stuck the swaybars on. The roll was reduced, the car was more neutral going into corners and didn't over/understeer. (I set the swaybars to the 'neutral' position)

Seriously, handling improved the most with a set of swaybars.
Old 1/12/09, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am really not looking for the handling advantage. I just want to lower the car, but like I said before, I dont want to get springs that are softer than stock.
Old 1/12/09, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
So...are the Steeda Ultralite springs stiffer or softer than the stock springs.
As I tried to say, any spring that lowers the car is going to result in a stiffer ride and that includes the Ultralites. My Ultralites and ProAction struts made my car much stiffer and when I hit a good bump, I can definitely feel it much more than the stock setup. I have yet to see any lowering spring advertise a soft ride, that isn't what they are designed for. Most springs that lower the car are going to have a different compression rate and they also have less travel to play with so they have to be progressive. Perhaps one of our vendors can chime in, but I would be surprised if a company made the effort to sell a spring that does nothing but lower a car without changing the stiffness. I think you would have to change the composition of the steel to make it softer and that doesn't seem smart to me. Perhaps one of our vendor or race gurus can elaborate.
Old 1/12/09, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, thank you. I knew that the sports were stiffer than the ultralites, so I was just questioning the stiffness of the ultralites, after all, the name is ultra lite.

Last edited by jmanpatsfan; 1/12/09 at 08:30 PM.
Old 1/12/09, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you're just going to do springs for the look, then yes, the Ultralites are what you want. I suggest Ultralites and at least a rear sway bar to combat understeer.