GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Stillen....beware...

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/07, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen....beware...

http://www.stillen.com/

got excited when i saw there was a free disney trip with a "any installed" supercharger purchase (as my wife previously indicated to me that my supercharger money would be better used on a trip to disneyland) and called up stillen. I was told that they may be able to work me a deal for four tickets instead of two to disneyland and the guy would call me back. When he called back he said the trip offer does not apply to mustangs because they have to "send the PCM away" to have it reprogrammed...This killed the deal for me as it took my disney leverage away, and made me leary about stillen. I figure any company that advertises a deal to get you intersted and then pulls the rug out from under you is not exactly worthy of any of my business.

my 2 cents anyway...
Old 9/5/07, 04:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I feel your disappointment, but the website does plainly say:

Limited time offer, some restrictions apply. Only applicable to the following superchargers: 03-06 350Z / G35 Sedan 3.5L, 03-07 G35 Coupe 3.5L, 04-06 Titan / Armada / QX56 5.6L, 04-06 Frontier / Xterra / Pathfinder 4.0L. Cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. Subject to availability. Install dates and times are on a first come first served basis. Only available during normal operating hours.

I don't see "Mustang" listed......
Old 9/5/07, 04:43 PM
Cobra Member

yeah I just read that too. I guess the word ANY dosent really ever mean that anymore....
Old 9/5/07, 05:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I missed something here, maybe Brian from Stillen should address this post.
Old 9/5/07, 06:05 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Johnny,

Believe me; I’m sorry we couldn’t make the deal happen. The Mustang is not part of the published list primarily because of the time needed for the install. That is why I offered you a deal that is lower than my dealer price, in the hopes that it would offset the Disneyland cost. The last thing I wanted to do is turn away a customer that wants us to install a supercharger.

Sorry
Old 9/5/07, 07:09 PM
Cobra Member

Brian,

I didn't see the disclaimer in the beginning, and was only made aware of it by another set of eyes reading the fine print. To be fair tell me that in my situation you would not be all over an ad like the one on your front page. by the way this site had a thread a while back listing you as selling a supercharger for $4500.00 which was what made me go to your site in the first place. I appreciate that you tried to make me a deal which kind of offset the price, but it sounded to me like you were going back on the original deal which was on your homepage. I understand now though that "Any installed supercharger" does not really mean that when "some restrictions and limitations apply" I guess that is just the way advertising works. thanks anyway.
Old 9/5/07, 07:11 PM
Cobra Member

btw check out this post...
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=70709
Old 9/5/07, 07:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Dang, imports LOL, well you can tune the stang but be prepared for long hours going back and forth through dyno A/F ratios, spark timings, fuel pressure and more
Old 9/5/07, 07:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I think he needs to reword his ad. Then on the other hand restrictions always apply. I supose he could install a s/c on any car and give the vacation parkage he just needs to price it accordingly.
Old 9/5/07, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

+1 ^
Old 9/5/07, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Ugh... who cares about Disneyland?!?!?

I'd rather have the discount on the supercharger.

Old 9/5/07, 10:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Ugh... who cares about Disneyland?!?!?

I'd rather have the discount on the supercharger.

the wife and two little girls care about disneyland....a supecharged mustang is the happiest place on earth to me...
Old 9/5/07, 10:55 PM
Bullitt Member

stillen is a really good company, I know a lot of guys with imports who have had interactions with stillen, and they have never had anything but good things to say about them

anyways, why are you upset? it's not like you sent them your money
Old 9/5/07, 10:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

the wife and two little girls care about disneyland....a supecharged mustang is the happiest place on earth to me...

Couldn't agree any more. Six months ago, my daughter had cheerleading/dance competition at the Anaheim Convention Center. They took a chartered flight. I met up with them one day later, so I "had" to drive myself. What a trip! Took me back to my single years (a long, long time ago), being able to travel by myself and go as fast as I wanted to. In fact, I stopped in San Diego on the way and visited a couple of friends of mine. I then made it to Anaheim and spent the next couple of days in Disneyland with my wife and daughter. What made the trip even sweeter was that I offered to stop by Edwards Air Force Base on my way home for some business. This way, the company paid for one-half of my trip....

Look like this December, we'll be going to Las Vegas and possibly back to Anaheim next March...... (do I sense another road trip or two???)
Old 9/5/07, 11:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by chrisc9867
stillen is a really good company, I know a lot of guys with imports who have had interactions with stillen, and they have never had anything but good things to say about them

anyways, why are you upset? it's not like you sent them your money
I was upset because I was using the disneyland angle as a bargaining chip with the wife (you must be single) so as to make it a win/win situation. the advertisement after all states clearly that ANY installed supercharger includes a disney trip. yes i know that the disney part might not be a big deal but when it gets you in the door with the wife hey I will try anything. No I did not do any business with them, and they may be the best shop ever, but I felt misled by the ad. I realize now that the terms of the offer exclude the mustang (which i still think sucks, and I still think the ad should be revised) but it bummed me out. I started to work the angle with my wife and she was for once receptive. but brian called me back and informed me of my cars exclusion. while he offered me a discount, he could not include the disney thing. I think that kind of hook advertising is funky but to each his own. I was just venting on the boards, after all the board is the reason i ever ended up on his site...
Old 9/5/07, 11:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Willie

Couldn't agree any more. Six months ago, my daughter had cheerleading/dance competition at the Anaheim Convention Center. They took a chartered flight. I met up with them one day later, so I "had" to drive myself. What a trip! Took me back to my single years (a long, long time ago), being able to travel by myself and go as fast as I wanted to. In fact, I stopped in San Diego on the way and visited a couple of friends of mine. I then made it to Anaheim and spent the next couple of days in Disneyland with my wife and daughter. What made the trip even sweeter was that I offered to stop by Edwards Air Force Base on my way home for some business. This way, the company paid for one-half of my trip....

Look like this December, we'll be going to Las Vegas and possibly back to Anaheim next March...... (do I sense another road trip or two???)
i think we work at the same place in tucson....pm me. always nice to see another tucson guy on!
Old 9/6/07, 09:57 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Johnny,

I understand that you’re disappointed, but “hook advertising”? I have stated before, in other posts, that I will extend fellow TMS members the best deal possible and that’s what was done in regards to your situation. I apologize if you feel the advertisement was ambiguous, but hypothetically if the Mustang qualified and you were to go with the promotional package (as outlined) it would cost you an additional $150-200 more than if you were to take my deal on the supercharger only and spring for the tickets and hotel yourself.

Maybe we can still work something out, however please don’t label Stillen as a company that uses underhanded business practices because the package offered was actually better than advertised.

Have a great day

Old 9/6/07, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
Johnny,

I understand that you’re disappointed, but “hook advertising”? I have stated before, in other posts, that I will extend fellow TMS members the best deal possible and that’s what was done in regards to your situation. I apologize if you feel the advertisement was ambiguous, but hypothetically if the Mustang qualified and you were to go with the promotional package (as outlined) it would cost you an additional $150-200 more than if you were to take my deal on the supercharger only and spring for the tickets and hotel yourself.

Maybe we can still work something out, however please don’t label Stillen as a company that uses underhanded business practices because the package offered was actually better than advertised.

Have a great day

Isaw this and I called you. I did not read the fine print, but I figured if there was anything wierd you would have told me. I was frustrated when you called me back and told me that my car was excluded. I posted in frustration and I apologize for knocking stillen having not read the fine print. I learned my lesson about big shiny ad's with fine print. I said it was hook advertising because the ad hooked me, and the fine print voids the offer in my case. That caused me some frustration. I guess the take away here is communication is key. You could have said hey man, the ad does not apply to mustangs, but I am going to massage the deal and work the disney angle for you, but otherwise I will give you a better deal and you can do the disney thing with the leftover cash. It would have probably sealed the deal.

I should have read the fine print before calling. I should have read the fine print before posting. But the reason I posted is because the ad says ANY and the fine print says differently.

I posted on the board because I appreciate this board, and we look out for each other on here.
Old 9/6/07, 01:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
Johnny,

Have a great day

I saw this, the ad did it's job, and I called you. I did not read the fine print, but I figured if there was anything wierd you would have told me. I was frustrated after you called me back and told me that my car was excluded. I posted in frustration and I apologize for knocking stillen having not read the fine print. I learned my lesson about big shiny ad's with fine print. I said it was hook advertising because the ad hooked me, and the fine print voids the offer in my case. That caused me some frustration. I guess the take away here is communication is key. You could have said hey man, the ad does not apply to mustangs, but I am going to massage the deal and work the disney angle for you and make it work out. It would have probably sealed the deal.

I should have read the fine print before calling. I should have read the fine print before posting. But the reason I posted is because the ad says ANY and the fine print says differently. Is that underhanded? I think that is for the customer to decide.

I posted on the board because I appreciate this board, and we look out for each other on here.
Old 9/6/07, 01:34 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Faber
I was upset because I was using the disneyland angle as a bargaining chip with the wife...

You married folk are a strange lot.