Search this Thread

Old 4/29/07, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 4/29/07, 01:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Finally took the time to get the re-balanced Steeda Pentars and Nitto's back on the car today. I am happy to say that after a front end alignment and re-balance job on the Pentars she is smooth as silk up to 90mph. I am tickled with the out come and ticked that Steeda screwed up the balance on these tires. Next step is to get the stocker re-balanced and I hope that will take care of all the shimmys. For what's it worth... these Nitto's also have a nylon ply in them so it will be interesting to see after they sit for a few days it they shimmy for the first couple of miles until they round up.
Scott
I'm glad to hear that it's all straightened out (no pun intended)
Old 4/29/07, 08:13 PM
Cobra Member

Glad that got it sorted for you. Seemed like the most logical problem.
Old 4/29/07, 11:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, see what happens after it sits for a day and then it gets driven, I am assuming you put them on and just went driving...
Old 5/1/07, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Well, see what happens after it sits for a day and then it gets driven, I am assuming you put them on and just went driving...
You are correct Kevinb120. Next day on the road will be Sat. morning when I head out to Breenspeeds Dyno Days. She will have sat for 6 days so we will find out soon enough.
Scott
Old 7/21/07, 10:51 AM

I had the same steering wheel shimmy problem with my brand new nittos/razors. I even took the car back to the local tire shop where I bought the tires to have them rebalanced. Same problem. Then I went to Discount Tire. I watched them check the balance and all 4 were way off. They correctly balanced them and now its smooth as silk. A big for Discount Tire in Murfreesboro, TN.
Old 7/22/07, 04:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I also have not had anymore issue with shimmy since I got mine properly balanced. I really like these Nitto's.
Scott
Old 8/13/07, 07:50 AM

After reading what everyone had to say and trying it, I finally got my '07 to ride smooth again. The people that installed the wheels knew what they were doing and removed all the clips but the darn TPS was the problem. After a "road force balance" the car has never ridden smoother.
Old 8/13/07, 10:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am having this again with my stock wheels. It happened around 3k miles and now it's happeneing again over 50 mhp at 12.5k miles. The dealer fixed the balance issue then, guess it's time to bring it back and add it to the warranty list I have growing.
Old 8/15/07, 06:44 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
This is the second time today I have heard this. The old guy that aligned my car today said he believed that is what is going on with the stock tires. He also asked if they had nylon in them... when I said yes.. he said they would get a flat spot in them sitting for just a few hours. This guy is in his early 70's and knows his stuff. The Nitto 555's also have 2 nylon plys in them. I wonder???
Scott
Most if not all performace tires will have nylon in them, nylon is used to counteract the centrifugal force on the tire (as it goes faster, the tire tries to stretch out like a rubberband), in turn the nylon heats up and contracts allowing the tire to maintain or at least try to maintain its engineered shape.
Old 8/16/07, 05:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bob
Most if not all performace tires will have nylon in them, nylon is used to counteract the centrifugal force on the tire (as it goes faster, the tire tries to stretch out like a rubberband), in turn the nylon heats up and contracts allowing the tire to maintain or at least try to maintain its engineered shape.

So far I have not experienced any flat spotting with the Nitto 555's. But I have only run them in warm weather. Time will tell when it cools off if they display the same flat spotting like the stockers.
Scott
Old 8/20/07, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old thread I know, but...

I'm getting the steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds. Started right after I picked her up after having updated strut mounts put in (to fix the infamous clunk issue). The car did sit for 5 days while waiting for the parts to come in.

Just wondering if 70MACH1OWNER ever solved his stock tire shimmy and how.
Old 8/20/07, 02:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rash
Old thread I know, but...

I'm getting the steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds. Started right after I picked her up after having updated strut mounts put in (to fix the infamous clunk issue). The car did sit for 5 days while waiting for the parts to come in.

Just wondering if 70MACH1OWNER ever solved his stock tire shimmy and how.

Hey Rich,
Good question. To be honest no I have not. That's because I haven't done anything yet with the stock wheels and tires. But time is coming soon that I will have to look into it. Once I got my Steeda Pentars and Nitto's re-balanced and the car aligned that is what I have been running all spring and summer with no issues. I need to get my stock wheels and tires to the guy that balanced my Steeda's very soon. I will put the stockers back on for the winter months so I need to tend to this issue in the coming weeks. I was planning on resurrecting this thread in the fall when I put them back on the car. I will report later.
Scott
Old 8/20/07, 02:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

shimmy shimmy coco pop
Old 8/20/07, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

shimmy shimmy coco pop
Great. Now every time the steering wheel shakes I'm gonna have that song in my head. Thanks.
Old 8/20/07, 03:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

shimmy shimmy coco pop

I want your phone number so I can call you when that tune is running overtime in my head at 3 AM.
Scott
Old 8/20/07, 04:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

It got stuck in mine so I thought I would share...

Althought with mustangs it should be shimmy shimmy struts go pop..
Old 8/20/07, 04:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It got stuck in mine so I thought I would share...

Althought with mustangs it should be shimmy shimmy struts go pop..

That's not right!!!!!!!!
Old 8/24/07, 04:37 PM
GT Member

I got the shimmy in the steering wheel as well, after mounting my new deep dish bullitts with the Nitto 555s.

- looks like reading from this thread that a rebalancing of the wheels and an alignment is the first thing to try, right?
Old 8/25/07, 05:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by lattjolarsson
I got the shimmy in the steering wheel as well, after mounting my new deep dish bullitts with the Nitto 555s.

- looks like reading from this thread that a rebalancing of the wheels and an alignment is the first thing to try, right?

Fredrik,
That is what fixed my shimmy issue with my Steeda Pentars and Nitto's 555. They are smooth as silk now. Just make sure you take them to someone in your area with a good reputation! Ask some local racers who they go too.
Scott

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shimmy