GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steering wheel shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/07, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Ohhh... It was a package deal. So I am sure they covered their costs in the package some how. I don't want to beat them up to bad since I haven't put them back on the car yet to prove it yet. But you can see where their weights were and where the new ones are and there is a big difference. Time will tell I guess. I'm glad you seem to have fixed your problems by removing the springs clips. Maybe the c'bore's are big enough to clear them. But since YOU only paid 200 bucks each for them you can't complain.

Scott
200.00 bucks, thats what I told my wife and I'm sticking to it!......
Old 4/14/07, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy old blkstang06 is sure easy to amuse.

70mach1owner

Good to see you zeroed in on the Steeda Wheel / Tire problem. Even with a sophisticated electronic machine, it is possible to get a bad balance, particularly if the wheel does not register correctly on the shaft. Any eccenctricity or face misalignment and your balance job is toast. The operator still has to be careful. Back when I first started working on cars and worked in a gas station for spending money, all we had was a bubble balance. And as simple as that was there were some rules of thumb to follow thay hols true today. Like a) split the weight between inside and outside. b) if a large wt is required, spread it out with smaller wts.

Tape on wt's are okay if surface is prepared properly ... that takes time and the wheel guy is usually in a hurry. Machines can get out of calibration too. The electronic machines do a good job of distributing the weights inside to outside, and I guess can be forced to put it all inside, but a better balance will result if the weights are distributed in to out as required. The tire and wheel combo are not uniformly homogenious is mass distribution, and the area of mass causing out of balance is not necessary spread evenly across the width of the tire wheel assy, hence the reason sometimes inside and outside wt. is required in order to keep the tire / wheel balanced longitudinally as welll as radially.
Old 4/14/07, 02:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS

70mach1owner

Good to see you zeroed in on the Steeda Wheel / Tire problem. Even with a sophisticated electronic machine, it is possible to get a bad balance, particularly if the wheel does not register correctly on the shaft. Any eccenctricity or face misalignment and your balance job is toast. The operator still has to be careful. Back when I first started working on cars and worked in a gas station for spending money, all we had was a bubble balance. And as simple as that was there were some rules of thumb to follow thay hols true today. Like a) split the weight between inside and outside. b) if a large wt is required, spread it out with smaller wts.

Tape on wt's are okay if surface is prepared properly ... that takes time and the wheel guy is usually in a hurry. Machines can get out of calibration too. The electronic machines do a good job of distributing the weights inside to outside, and I guess can be forced to put it all inside, but a better balance will result if the weights are distributed in to out as required. The tire and wheel combo are not uniformly homogenious is mass distribution, and the area of mass causing out of balance is not necessary spread evenly across the width of the tire wheel assy, hence the reason sometimes inside and outside wt. is required in order to keep the tire / wheel balanced longitudinally as welll as radially.
No kidding! and by the way! I wasn't talking to you slick!
Old 4/14/07, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

70mach1owner

Hey Paul,
Yeah, I really hope that is the total issue with the Steeda's. As I think back now Steeda was about 2 months late in shipping these wheels and they said they had 275 sets of Pentars to mount,balance and ship the week they shipped mine. It is easy to see how they may of hurried the process up. BTW, the place that did the re-balance job today has their equipment calibrated once a month. It was just done early last week they said so I am hoping I got a good job today. We'll find out soon.
Scott
Old 4/14/07, 02:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Like a) split the weight between inside and outside. b) if a large wt is required, spread it out with smaller wts.
a) this is true, and I probably should have noted that with my previous post: it is harder to balance for just the inside, and may not be as "exact" as having inside and outside.

b) IMO, if a large weight is required, you should dismount and remount the tire in a different location on the rim.

Obviously, B is only possible if you and the tire guy know each other. I always go to the same person at Bridgestone for mounting/balance, even if I didn't buy my tires from him (ie-used tires). He knows what I expect, and he takes the time to handle my rims with care (which many places don't).
Old 4/14/07, 02:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am assuming when you guys are talking about weights on the inside and outside you are saying there are weights glued on the outer edge of the wheel behind the spokes and the inside edge of the rim by the bead. That is the way they are on the rims. Isn't that they way they have to be to have a wheel dynamic and static balanced??
Scott
Old 4/14/07, 02:53 PM
Cobra R Member

I am assuming when you guys are talking about weights on the inside and outside you are saying there are weights glued on the outer edge of the wheel behind the spokes and the inside edge of the rim by the bead. That is the way they are on the rims. Isn't that they way they have to be to have a wheel dynamic and static balanced??
Scott
I've never had wheels with stick on's, as I am not a fan of them. So, when I refer to inside and outside hammered weights, I am referring to the weights with the little clip that are hammered to the "lips" of the wheel, between the tire and the wheel.

More specifically, where you typically get curb rash is where I'm talking about for outside weights. The inside weights go in the same place, but on the inside (obviously)
Old 4/14/07, 03:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate the clamp weights, but the stick-on ones are extremely sensitive as they don't have the 'leverage' being towards the center of the rim. Even the BFG's on the 18's shimmy a bit until warm, my Pirellis on the 06 were worse though. Some of my more heavily modded cars never had perfectly smooth rolling tires, with harder bushings and very low profile tires, a bug stuck in the tread would transmit to the steering wheel.
Old 4/14/07, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I've never had wheels with stick on's, as I am not a fan of them. So, when I refer to inside and outside hammered weights, I am referring to the weights with the little clip that are hammered to the "lips" of the wheel, between the tire and the wheel.

More specifically, where you typically get curb rash is where I'm talking about for outside weights. The inside weights go in the same place, but on the inside (obviously)
Got ya. These Steeda rims will not take a hammered on weight at all. They are just glued on as close to the inner and outer beads as possible.
Old 4/14/07, 03:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Got ya. These Steeda rims will not take a hammered on weight at all. They are just glued on as close to the inner and outer beads as possible.
If that's the case, you may want to consider lifetime balancing.

...Just a suggestion.
Old 4/14/07, 04:53 PM
Cobra Member

he is testy too ...
Old 4/16/07, 04:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's a quick update on what I have done or had done to fix my shimmy issue.

Problems: 1. Stock wheels and tires would shimmy for the first couple miles than go away.
2. New Steeda Pentars and Nitto 555 shimmied right out of the box. Only put 100 miles on them before removing and checking balance.

Corrective actions: Had Steeda wheels re-balanced this past Saturday and it appears balance was off quite a bit from Steeda. Since I have not put these wheels back on the car yet I cannot report if the shimmy has been corrected.

Took the car to a well known hot rod alignment shop today and had car aligned. This is with the stock wheels and tires on the car. The results are positive. First off the technican reported that the toe in on these cars should be set slightly to the positive side. Meaning the front of the front tires are towed "IN" slightly. My car was set slightly to the negitive side. I have 15k miles on the car and it either came from the factory this way or has settled slightly. Either way it was not correct. The steering wheel is dead on center and I can say that the car tracks straighter on the highway now than it did before. I will drive the car a few days like this to see if the shimmy when starting out with these wheels is any better. The alignment should not repair a shimmy but I will see how it drives for a few days before taking it in to have the stock wheels and tires re-balanced. This process of elimination will take a week or so to find out where the real problem is. So far it seems like a bunch of problems all thrown in on top of each other. I am really not happy that my car was towed out from the factory and my high dollar Steeda wheels and tires were out of balance. More later.
Scott
Old 4/16/07, 05:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Scott, sounds like your getting it narrowed down!..Between getting the Steeda's rebalanced and a realignment. I bet it handles great!....
Old 4/16/07, 06:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Scott, sounds like your getting it narrowed down!..Between getting the Steeda's rebalanced and a realignment. I bet it handles great!....
I'm feeling like I my be zeroing in on the issues. At least I am finding things that are not correct. I know the next logical step is to get the stockers re-balanced to see if I can get the shimmy in them to go away. I really want to put the Steeda rims back on to see if they are fixed but I am a lazy fart and want to know the stockers are fixed since they will not go back on the car until maybe November.
Scott
Old 4/16/07, 06:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm feeling like I my be zeroing in on the issues. At least I am finding things that are not correct. I know the next logical step is to get the stockers re-balanced to see if I can get the shimmy in them to go away. I really want to put the Steeda rims back on to see if they are fixed but I am a lazy fart and want to know the stockers are fixed since they will not go back on the car until maybe November.
Scott
Scott, Worry about the Flat Rock stocker's in September!.. put the Steeda's on and start enjoying your car! Because at your age you never know!!....
Old 4/16/07, 06:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Scott
I believe the shimmy in your stockers are only from flat spotting.
Old 4/16/07, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I believe the shimmy in your stockers are only from flat spotting.

This is the second time today I have heard this. The old guy that aligned my car today said he believed that is what is going on with the stock tires. He also asked if they had nylon in them... when I said yes.. he said they would get a flat spot in them sitting for just a few hours. This guy is in his early 70's and knows his stuff. The Nitto 555's also have 2 nylon plys in them. I wonder???
Scott
Old 4/16/07, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Scott, Worry about the Flat Rock stocker's in September!.. put the Steeda's on and start enjoying your car! Because at your age you never know!!....

I hear ya. 1 more week...that's all I need. Are you going to shake your way to Brenspeed in a couple weeks?
Scott
Old 4/16/07, 07:07 PM
Cobra R Member

This is the second time today I have heard this. The old guy that aligned my car today said he believed that is what is going on with the stock tires. He also asked if they had nylon in them... when I said yes.. he said they would get a flat spot in them sitting for just a few hours. This guy is in his early 70's and knows his stuff. The Nitto 555's also have 2 nylon plys in them. I wonder???
Scott
This is about the 10th time this week that we've said it
Old 4/29/07, 11:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Finally took the time to get the re-balanced Steeda Pentars and Nitto's back on the car today. I am happy to say that after a front end alignment and re-balance job on the Pentars she is smooth as silk up to 90mph. I am tickled with the out come and ticked that Steeda screwed up the balance on these tires. Next step is to get the stocker re-balanced and I hope that will take care of all the shimmys. For what's it worth... these Nitto's also have a nylon ply in them so it will be interesting to see after they sit for a few days it they shimmy for the first couple of miles until they round up.
Scott

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shimmy