GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

springs, dampeners, coil overs?

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/06, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
springs, dampeners, coil overs?

All right im confused... i was loking into geting coil overs in the futer but i dont under stand how they will work on the rear end... are coil overs jst for the front end? some one help me understand the suspension in my car? the more detailed explinations are better as i'ld liek to thuroughly understand the susspension in my car.
Old 8/30/06, 10:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this diagram, it might help.

http://bradbarnett.net/service_man/C...loded_View.pdf
Old 8/30/06, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

but what about coilovers... how would they work on the rear?
Old 8/30/06, 11:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Why would you want to get coilovers? By definition that means a shock that is mounted inside a coil spring. The current mustang suspension setup does not use coilovers. It uses shocks and springs, but not shocks INSIDE springs. The shock is mounted off to the side of the spring.
To put coilovers on the stang you would basically need a whole new suspension setup. Totally redsigned 100%. Ford spend a lot of time setting up that complicated suspension setup, and I don't see any reason to mess with it other than swapping out for stiffer/larger/better parts.
Old 8/30/06, 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

thats what i was confused about... as you can probly tell i dont know much about suspension but im learning... so what woudl be the point of this... http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...?idproduct=967 jsut coil overs up front and normal look in the back? besides being adjustable whats the point?
Old 8/30/06, 11:35 PM
Bullitt Member

also does this chang the rear to coil over? http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...idproduct=1086

is there a difference b/w strut and shock? "Set of 4 - Two Front Struts and Two Rear Shocks"
Old 8/30/06, 11:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

On the first post, I think you are right, coilovers in front (that is what is already there stock) and non coilovers in the rear. Looks like all you gain is adjustability, and different ride height.

Second post, not sure. the description is not really clear on what it exactly is. I would call and ask them if you are interested because it doesn't really say.
Old 8/30/06, 11:53 PM
Bullitt Member

so for the question of differnce b/w struts and shocks is "Shock absorbers" are physically separated from the car's springs. A "strut," on the other hand, is a shock absorber with a spring that fits around it. Struts are common these days because they save space. But they cost more because the springs have to be removed before the "shock absorber" part of the strut can be replaced. And removing springs is a job that requires special tools--most importantly, a Bronko Nagurski football helmet! struts and shocks are very similar in function, but very different in design. The job of both is to control excessive spring motion; however, struts are also a structural component of the suspension. Struts can take the place of two or three conventional suspension components and are often used as a pivot point for steering and to adjust the position of the wheels for alignment purposes"

my friend googled it for me adn found it out. any way i think i figured out that if i want to be able to adjust hieght i should just go with adjustable dampeners and not waste money on "coil over kits"
Old 8/31/06, 12:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by loserpunk603
so for the question of differnce b/w struts and shocks is "Shock absorbers" are physically separated from the car's springs. A "strut," on the other hand, is a shock absorber with a spring that fits around it.
Yes, but you can also have a shock absorber mounted inside of a spring, just like a strut, hence "coilOVER" meaning a Coil over a Shock.

any way i think i figured out that if i want to be able to adjust hieght i should just go with adjustable dampeners and not waste money on "coil over kits".
Good decision, that is the easiest way.