Old 4/11/05, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My loudmouths came today..... no car still.... but look at the tips:

Old 4/12/05, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anybody have access to a Db meter?

I'd be interested in knowing how much over the limit (if at all) these things really are.

In California the limit for passenger vehicles is 95 decibels, here's some info . . . .

CHP Exhaust Noise Guidelines at a Glance

Responding to complaints from SEMA and custom exhaust system manufacturers, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) has issued a new bulletin clarifying state exhaust noise regulations. The Bulletin (CHP Information Bulletin 98-100) contains the following information:
Contrary to some citations issued recently, exhaust modifications that increase noise are not automatically illegal in California. The regulations allow exhaust modifications increasing noise up to 95 decibels. The California Vehicle Code does not prohibit exhaust modifications, modified tailpipes or muffler tips which increase exhaust noise levels over that of factory-installed systems as long as noise levels do not exceed the 95-decibel limit. Because California does not provide for practical roadside testing, enforcement stops will continue to require an officer's informed evaluation. CHP advises officers to issue "Notice to Correct" (fix-it tickets) when vehicles are judged in violation of the noise standard. This procedure will give vehicle owners an opportunity to nullify the citation by presenting materials demonstrating that the vehicle complies with the 95-decibel standard. Although CHP lacks resources to verify manufacturer claims, it is aware that many custom exhausxt systems meet the 95-decibel standard. The bulletin advises that police officers consider specialty equipment documentation when evaluating exhaust systems for excessive noise, both during an enforcement stop and when clearing a ticket. California exhaust noise regulations apply statewide, prohibiting local authorities from adopting local noise limitations that differ from the state regulation. Citations issued under differing local ordinances are invalid.

www.pointhappy.com/cvcars/calregs.htm
Old 4/12/05, 01:13 PM
GT Member

Radio Shack carries a pretty good Db meter - I use it for my Home Theater setup. However, one thing that isn't covered above - at what distance from the tailpipe is it supposed to be measured? I can measure the stock sound...

95 DB is actually pretty loud - SLP might pass on a car with cats.
Old 4/12/05, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 96vert@April 12, 2005, 12:16 PM
Radio Shack carries a pretty good Db meter - I use it for my Home Theater setup. However, one thing that isn't covered above - at what distance from the tailpipe is it supposed to be measured? I can measure the stock sound...

95 DB is actually pretty loud - SLP might pass on a car with cats.
Thanks for the tip on the meter! How much did it cost?

The link that's included at the bottom of the text goes into more details about the laws and has the following statement about how it's measured . . . .

"The exhaust noise provisions in 1036(d)(1) establish a limit of 95 dB(A) measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe outlet with the engine operating in neutral, at a specified speed typically between 3000 and 5000 rpm (see regulations for details)."

I'll bet 20" away the stock system, at 5000 rpm, is darn close to the limit. It would an be interesting test, if you give it a shot please post your results.
Old 4/12/05, 01:41 PM
GT Member

I'll measure it tonight - as long as the rain holds off. I'll also measure my cobra. (my neighbors will love me).

For reference, a jackhammer and pneumatic (air) drill are 100 Db. We'll see....

Also, it's $39.99 for analog readout and $49.99 for digital readout at radioshack. I have the analog one, suits my needs fine.

Edit:
Of course, later on in that article, it says:

"Enforcement Guidelines

The only drivers who should be cited are those whose vehicles:

1. Are not equipped with a muffler;
2. Clearly emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, or;
3. Have a clearly defective exhaust system (holes, leaks, etc.). "

SLP is definitely no muffler....
Old 4/12/05, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a DB meter, and the SLPs (as seen above) but no car yet.

My bike has an FMF pipe and it is about 104 dB @ 4000rpms...... I havent gotten pulled over yet!

As soon as my car comes, I will test it and post.
Old 4/12/05, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 96vert@April 12, 2005, 12:44 PM
I'll measure it tonight - as long as the rain holds off. I'll also measure my cobra. (my neighbors will love me).

For reference, a jackhammer and pneumatic (air) drill are 100 Db. We'll see....

Also, it's $39.99 for analog readout and $49.99 for digital readout at radioshack. I have the analog one, suits my needs fine.

Edit:
Of course, later on in that article, it says:

"Enforcement Guidelines

The only drivers who should be cited are those whose vehicles:

1. Are not equipped with a muffler;
2. Clearly emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, or;
3. Have a clearly defective exhaust system (holes, leaks, etc.). "

SLP is definitely no muffler....

Hmmm . . . . interesting information about the tools, glad I didn't commit any money to the bet given jackhammers I've heard.

The meter is reasonably priced IMO.

Yeah . . . SLP=No Muffler . . . . but I'd be hoping that the officers have fine tuned their ears enough by now to know how loud a jackhammer is and wouldn't pull me over.
Old 4/12/05, 04:22 PM
GT Member

Just came inside. I tested it on my driveway, meter held approximately 3 feet high, 20" behind one of the muffler tips. Here's the numbers:

3000 RPM - 88 Db
4000 RPM - 91 Db
5000 RPM - 92 Db

There was a range - for example at 5000 rpm it ranged from approximately 88 to 94 Db. It seemed to settle at 92 though.

I didn't get a chance to check the Cobra, since it started raining as I was doing the GT.
Old 4/12/05, 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 96vert@April 12, 2005, 3:25 PM
Just came inside. I tested it on my driveway, meter held approximately 3 feet high, 20" behind one of the muffler tips. Here's the numbers:

3000 RPM - 88 Db
4000 RPM - 91 Db
5000 RPM - 92 Db

There was a range - for example at 5000 rpm it ranged from approximately 88 to 94 Db. It seemed to settle at 92 though.

I didn't get a chance to check the Cobra, since it started raining as I was doing the GT.
Dang . . . I wasn't too far off in my guess. Whoda thunk the stock exhaust was that close to the limit? So we can safely assume that the Loud Mouths are going to equal or exceed jackhammer numbers.

Thanks for your time and efforts Tom! :worship:

Now if EmperorJordan ever gets his car maybe we can get him to do a Db check on his SLPs for a comparison.
Old 4/12/05, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by The Lyin' King@April 12, 2005, 3:48 PM

Now if EmperorJordan ever gets his car maybe we can get him to do a Db check on his SLPs for a comparison.

Even if I am over, not much I can (or will) do about it.... I mean, the limit for bikes in CA is 96dB and my bike at 20" at 4000rpms is 104dBs like I said. And I love every second of it.
Old 4/12/05, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan+April 12, 2005, 5:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 12, 2005, 5:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-The Lyin' King@April 12, 2005, 3:48 PM

Even if I am over, not much I can (or will) do about it.... I mean, the limit for bikes in CA is 96dB and my bike at 20" at 4000rpms is 104dBs like I said. And I love every second of it.
[/b][/quote]
Old 4/12/05, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan+April 12, 2005, 5:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 12, 2005, 5:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-The Lyin' King@April 12, 2005, 3:48 PM

[/b][/quote]

Granted . . . . it's not about compliance since we agree it's a must have mod.

At this juncture it's about discovery, we have a baseline from a stock exhaust system and an opportunity to see what the difference is in db. If it's 120 db, so what . . . . you have the system and want the sound.

Will you give your meter a workout sometime after the 18th when (lucky devil) your car arrives, have a chance to install your system and then post the results?
Old 4/13/05, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Look..... AS SOON as my car comes, within HOURS after I pick it up, the SLPs are going on. And then hours after that, I am taking a ton of vids and posting them, and then after that (same day hopefully) I will post the db results from the standard 20" 4k rpm tests and inside the car.

My guess is it will be around 100db, because if I remember right, everytime a db goes up by one, the sound doubles. My bike is insanely loud at 104db, and I think there is no way that this will be that loud.... but we will see. Maybe I will get lucky!
Old 4/13/05, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan@April 13, 2005, 10:05 AM
Look..... AS SOON as my car comes, within HOURS after I pick it up, the SLPs are going on. And then hours after that, I am taking a ton of vids and posting them, and then after that (same day hopefully) I will post the db results from the standard 20" 4k rpm tests and inside the car.

My guess is it will be around 100db, because if I remember right, everytime a db goes up by one, the sound doubles. My bike is insanely loud at 104db, and I think there is no way that this will be that loud.... but we will see. Maybe I will get lucky!
Sweet! It will be an interesting test for sure. I think your guestimate is right on the money.

Man, am I envious . . . . if I only had five more days to wait for my car :bang:
Old 4/16/05, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by The Lyin' King+April 13, 2005, 10:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Lyin' King @ April 13, 2005, 10:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-emperorjordan@April 13, 2005, 10:05 AM

Sweet! It will be an interesting test for sure. I think your guestimate is right on the money.

Man, am I envious . . . . if I only had five more days to wait for my car :bang:
[/b][/quote]

Ok, it's the same day . . . . .
Old 4/17/05, 06:35 AM
Cobra Member

Wow...this thread just went completely the opposite direction of the original question. I too would like to know a little more about the Power Flo exhaust.
Now having said that, guess I will get 20 responses about Loud Mouth exhaust
Old 4/17/05, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hawgman@April 17, 2005, 6:38 AM
Wow...this thread just went completely the opposite direction of the original question. I too would like to know a little more about the Power Flo exhaust.
Now having said that, guess I will get 20 responses about Loud Mouth exhaust
now you know how i felt initially
Old 4/17/05, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

We worked with what we had at the time . . . . . there are two variables . . . .volume and "sound". One is subjective and the other can be measured.

We now have a baseline on the stock exhaust in db. . . .

If emperorjordan would db his loud mouths we'd have that db measurement and we have the sound clips.

The only thing missing is someone with a db meter willing to add to the discovery process who compromised and went with the Power Flos.