GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sick GT and Owner need help

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/05, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the line lock for the front brakes if you want to impress!!!! I think your car is normal for an auto!!!!!!
Scott
Old 7/19/05, 07:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to get this car under the butt of another experienced auto owner. Remember, this is a 281 cubic inch motor. They don't have mounds of torque down low. You need to pull the revs up pretty high to get to the torque curve. The problem is compounded by the auto trans in your car. Further, all the electronics in place make the number of variables quite high.

I think the best option is for another '05 automatic person who has performance driving and tuning getting into your car to test will tell you for sure if you have issues or if things are just the way they are. From that point you will know what your options are.

You could always put a 429 in it and burn tires all dang day!!

Old 7/19/05, 08:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lane I am looking for one in my area. Have also found a Ford dealer with a dyno and he sells Predators also. He is a long ride from me but I plan to hook up with him and spend several days if required.

Anyone in the ST Louis area have an Automatic GT that they have thrashed? If so come drive mine or allow me to drive yours. I need a comparison! I know Pony Girl has one but not sure if she is on the gas that much. Hers is a great show car. Winner too!

I was under the impression you could turn off TQ management with the SCT. You cannot with the predator.
I was out late this afternoon doing trial and error with the gas and time. Recording changes and loading up the data logger. This seat of the pants is not working very well. I may need to invest in a G Tech PP or something like it. Please keep the ideas coming. You never know when someone might hit the problem dead center.I am all ears on this.
Thanks bill
Old 7/19/05, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm bringing mine to the dealership next week to see what they can do about the hesitation. it seems to happen more for me at certain speeds and when I have the air on. now if i'm at 40mph and then stomp on the gas it throws me back in my seat but anything faster than that when I stomp on it I get a lag. hopefully there will be a fix. I was hoping the C and L intake and predator would take care of it. now i'm not as excited to get it now hearing this from ya.
Old 7/20/05, 12:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by cambostang@July 19, 2005, 9:55 PM
I'm bringing mine to the dealership next week to see what they can do about the hesitation. it seems to happen more for me at certain speeds and when I have the air on. now if i'm at 40mph and then stomp on the gas it throws me back in my seat but anything faster than that when I stomp on it I get a lag. hopefully there will be a fix. I was hoping the C and L intake and predator would take care of it. now i'm not as excited to get it now hearing this from ya.
My car problems does not mean yours will too. Don't back out because of my problems.
Turn your overdrive off. Someone above posted that you have to keep these motors wound up and that is correct for sure. Unless I am on the highway mine is off.
As I said I have the JAY pipe but I did wrap it in heat reflective material and Jay sent the heat shield and insert for the pipe. I purchased a generic predator and so very glad I did. I am not stuck with a one brand tune like Steeda or C&L for that matter. You might want to do the same. I paid 319 for the Predator from RPM Outlet and 150 for Jays pipe. Not as pretty as the C&L but I do not give a rip what it looks like under the hood. I just want it to work.
Like my sick ride.
Old 7/20/05, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the auto and even with traction control on, if I quickly go from stop to WOT I will chirp the tires for a second or 2 until the traction control corrects. Doing a brake torque with tc off I have no problem lighting them up. Mine is stock right now.
Old 7/20/05, 01:00 PM

Do you have a drag strip near you? If so, take it to the track and see what it is really doing. Then, compare it to the other '05 auto's on the board.

Your seat-of-the-pants feel may not really mean you have a sick GT, just a fairly heavy automatic with a "small" V8, performing as expected. Especially if you had it on the dyno and got the numbers you posted.
Old 7/20/05, 01:10 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bill, did you have this problem before you started to mod the car? Just wondering if you have reset the ECM back to factory defaults and install the factory air intake system to see if you are still experiencing the issue.
Old 7/20/05, 04:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@July 20, 2005, 1:13 PM
Bill, did you have this problem before you started to mod the car? Just wondering if you have reset the ECM back to factory defaults and install the factory air intake system to see if you are still experiencing the issue.
Yes and two weeks ago I put it all back stock but the 4-10 and took it in to dealer.
as was in my help request.

The dyno numbers I first posted were with JLT pipe and Predator tune.

The stock base line was 262 RWHP and 279 lLBTQ

Notice there was only one foot pound difference in the TQ reading between MODS and stock. So the factor I need to put the power down did not change at all.

My seat of the pants testing is being done after hours in a large industerial complex.

Drill has been Run it--feel it--read the data log---adjust it -- run it once more.
Three time and I am gone. Motor too hot and fuzz alert may have sounded.
Run it is line lock it to build the RPMs then go.
Old 7/20/05, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Is this one of those cases where you need to unhook the battery for a few minutes, then after you hook it back up, drive the car like you stole it, so the computer "re-learns"?
Old 7/20/05, 09:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by PolkThug@July 20, 2005, 8:14 PM
Is this one of those cases where you need to unhook the battery for a few minutes, then after you hook it back up, drive the car like you stole it, so the computer "re-learns"?
Thanks but no