GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sick GT and Owner need help

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/05, 11:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 05 GT auto has never had much low end power. Has never lit up tires. Traction control off, overdrive off.
Dealer was not able to locate problem so pushed it off as normal when I know it is not. The SVT TECH told me this. All you other Auto owners are lighting up the tires big time.

I took it to a performance shop. There they installed a 4-10 rear, Cold air system and a Predator tune.

Best Dyno Jet run 275 HP at 5200 RPM And TQ was a flat 283 at 5400 rpm.
Fuel air 12.5-1
Car WILL NOT spin a wheel. No low end power.

I am at the end of the line as what to do with it other than sell it. There are no other tuners in my area. I have played with the timing in all three areas. Have moved the fuel up to the point it was worst. Leaned it out until the codes lit up each time making small adjustments. I have data loged it but not even totaly sure I am reading the right Parameters.
If it were not for Georges help in the past I would be nowhere in the Predator learning process.
I am totally frustrated and desperately need some help.
Thanks
Old 7/19/05, 12:02 AM
FR500 Member

Not to think I am answering your problems, but 275 rwhp & 283 tq with 4.10's should lite the tires IMHO. Do you have someone reliable who can look into the trans behavior?

Paul
Old 7/19/05, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something is definitely not right. It looks like your mods are very similar to mine. I easily smoked my 275/50s with the stock rear gears in 1st gear. Now, with the 4.10s, I do burnouts at the track in 2nd gear (because I bump the rev limiter too easy in 1st).

What technique are you using to try and do a burnout? When I first started to trying to smoke the tires, I had to experiment a little. The best results were to turn TCS off and drop it into 1st gear (now 2nd gear with the 4.10s), and powerbrake it to about 2500 rpm or when the rear wheels start to break loose. As they break loose, gradually ease off the brake and quickly roll into the throttle to get them spinning and smoking, until the rev limiter kicks in. I have found if I let off the brake too quick, the tires are not turning fast enough and it starts to hook up and just lays down a long patch of rubber... no smoke. If I let off the brake too slow, they can't spin at all. It took me about 3 or 4 tries to get it just right.

This video was taken when I still had stock gears: Burnout Video
Old 7/19/05, 01:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bill,
I agree with Don, I have an auto also with C&L with Predator tune running 93 octane. Without power braking like Don suggests my car will not spin the rear tires much on a hard takeoff. I believe your car is normal for an auto. A manual car can dump the clutch to get the wheels spinning much easier. Install a line lock in the front brakes for 150 bucks and you will be able to melt the rears if you want to.
Scott
Old 7/19/05, 03:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Paul if it were in the old days I would have this figured out a few months ago. Back then after going through fuel and ignition with these results I would check my valve clearance. If that were correct the next stop would be pull the motor and check cam time and maybe replace the cam. I did get a bad one once.
I recognize my short comings in the area of these new motors but if I can't get dealer help and tuner can't figure it out where am I to turn. No one but some of the people on this forum seem to know anything about these motors.
The first GT I had was a stick and it has loads of bottom end. I even took the car up to the dealer and had tech drive the car as he had never driven a GT. This tech just blew me off with. Well the other one is an auto. I think he assumes I am an old fart that he can dazzle with BS
Paul I would also think with the dyno reading up there the motor would be correct but getting up there is another matter. Runs were made with OD off.
I wanted to get it right stock before I put it on steroids but I am dead in the water.
The car just falls on its face in the 2k-4k range and no natter what I have done I cannot correct it. If I brake lock it, traction control off I might get lucky and put down a one foot stripe.
I have no interest in doing burnouts and would be thankful if the wheels were not spinning or hopping and I was doing a 13 in the quarter. That is what I am after with mods.
To answer your transmission question. It is not slipping but I did notice something strange after I left the tuners the last time. In 5 th gear the car would free wheel when I got off the gas then it was like the TQ converter would locked up after I had traveled a distance. Meaning motor break. I thought it was the hesitation in the computer not dropping the revs but the tachometer showed otherwise.
I have made a lot of WAGS about the problem unsuccessfully as one can see. I wonder if the TQ management is shutting the motor down? Do not know how to check it out.
Thanks and please keep ideas coming.
Old 7/19/05, 05:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't really break my tires loose from a start, with just stomping on the gas, but I can if I bring up the rpm's just a little.
Old 7/19/05, 09:22 AM
FR500 Member

I have made a lot of WAGS about the problem unsuccessfully as one can see. I wonder if the TQ management is shutting the motor down? Do not know how to check it out.
Thanks and please keep ideas coming.
[/quote]

Bill;

I have had some strange things happen with my torque management system and I finally was able to shut it off.

From what I've read on the boards, Alternative Auto (Someone correct me If I am wrong) has prolly the most experience with the automatics to date. At the beginning, I was entertaining the automatic and followed them quite close. They may have the interest in this and maybe transferring your posts to them for comment might help.

Paul
Old 7/19/05, 09:36 AM
FR500 Member

I have an auto GT and had no trouble spinning the tires the day I drove it off the lot. I didn't do a burnout or anything like that, but this was my first RWD car in about 8 years. Needless to say, when I took my first drive off the dealer's lot, I lit them up a couple times. Now, after the mods I have, spinning the tires is a piece of cake. And I can imagine after getting my 4.10's installed in a couple weeks I'll be fighting to keep them from spinning.
Old 7/19/05, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

I have a stick, and I cannot burn the tires very well unless I drop the clutch. Low RPM throttle response and pull on these cars seems drastically off compared to my stock '98 GT. Once I am in the throttle and it gets going, it is crazy fast. I really hate this stupid computer torque management / throttle by wire crap. Just give me a good ole cable with instant response.
Old 7/19/05, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I sold my auto, but I used to burn up my tires very easily. I even had 20s and could spin those. Stock gears too. What type of Cold air intake do you have?
Old 7/19/05, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

I no longer have my '05 GT Auto, but it would not spin the tires either. It was completely stock, and would just bog down if you mashed the throttle to the floor and then take off. I just figured it was the torque management, but I must have been mistaken.

Please keep us posted, and as others have said, I'd contact Alternative Auto. That would have been my plan if I still owned the car.
Old 7/19/05, 01:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by cdemot02@July 19, 2005, 11:43 AM
I sold my auto, but I used to burn up my tires very easily. I even had 20s and could spin those. Stock gears too. What type of Cold air intake do you have?
Jay Tucker with revisions cold air. I am working off C&L base line tune. Moding it up and down.trying to locate sweet spot with Predator.
Old 7/19/05, 01:49 PM
FR500 Member

I don't have the Predator (not familiar)....is there a way to alter/remove the torque management system, at least long enough to see if it's causing you a problem?

Paul
Old 7/19/05, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

you dont have a clutch to dump, you are not sposed to be able to just hit the gas and spin tires...powerbrake and they will spin like crazy (shlt, my 160rwhp v6 could do it on 275s)
Old 7/19/05, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys, the auto tranny wont light up the tires, EVEN with TC off and OD off, too. We dont have a clutch, we can't launch our cars, and have no control over it... UNLESS you do a powerbrake... My GT spins the wheels a couple of seconds with TC off if im going uphill, but don't expect it to knock off the rubber with an auto.
Old 7/19/05, 05:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree. 100% !!!!!!!!
Scott
Old 7/19/05, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like I said above... you gotta powerbrake, and you need to perfect the technique to make smoke.
Old 7/19/05, 06:36 PM
FR500 Member

I just brought my tune (SCT.,Point,click,tune) up on my puter and I can change a/f, timing, gear ratio, tire size and change my rev limiter. But there doesn't seem to be anything on there regarding the torque management system. Don't know what the Predator offers in changes you can make, but maybe someone who has the latest revisions can chime in.
Old 7/19/05, 06:37 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by don_w@July 19, 2005, 5:21 PM
Like I said above... you gotta powerbrake, and you need to perfect the technique to make smoke.
Now that looks healthy
Old 7/19/05, 06:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Hold on guys I was only using wheel spin as an example of my GT being sick with little or no low end. Tell me how to fix my ride not the fine art of line/brake locking.

Quick Reply: Sick GT and Owner need help