GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

RPMs hanging after extended driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/06, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPMs hanging after extended driving?

Ok, I posted a while ago about my idle speed fluctuating between 400 rpm and up to around 900. Took it to the dealer and they said that they cleared the computer and that it should be good to go. I suspected other problem like possibly the throttle body issues others have had and told me about on this forum. By the way the idle speed issue is occuring again.

Well last night I was on an extended drive, about 1 hr at expressway speeds of 70-80mph. when I got near my destination, I noticed that the engine RPM was not coming down, almost like the throttle was stuck up.

I blipped the throttle a couple times and it came down to normal and when I went home nothing. What do you guys think, bad throttle body?

This issue, idle speed and now the hanging RPM, has been one of the main reasons I havent gotten a CAI and tuner yet, dont want to go to the trouble of putting on a CAI and then the dealer tell me the reason for the problem is the CAI, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Sam
Old 12/31/06, 06:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The throttle body motor is probably bad. Ever since Ford switched to a drive-by-wire system, there have been reports of the motor going bad causing RPM surges or stalls along with the usual lag.

The throttle body itself is a mechanical butterfly valve (like on a carburetor). They don't usually fail if it is of OEM quality.