GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rear swa bar diameter questions for you aftermarket sway bar owners

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/08, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rear swa bar diameter questions for you aftermarket sway bar owners

I ordered up a set of front and rear sway bars from Chris at Tillman. They are Granatelli bars, or were supposed to be. The set I received looks nothing like the set for sale on the Granatelli website. The ones I got are identical to the Ford Racing bars but the mounting hardware are the same as pictured on the Granatelli site. Chris is looking into this for me to see what happened. In the meantime, I thought I'd check with any of you who have aftermarket sway bars to see what the diameter of your rear bar is. It seems that the size is all over the board. BRM and Steeda lists their rear bar as 7/8" (14/16"), CHE (Eibach) is 24mm (.944"), American Muscle (Eibach) is 22mm (.866"), Spohn Performance bars are a gray finish but look to be identical to Granatelli in shape and mounting and are said to be 1", as are the Granatelli bars. H&R rear sway bars are 26mm (1.02").

The one measurement I cannot find is the Ford Racing rear bars. The catalog does not list their size. Since Eibach makes their springs, and the Eibach sway bars sold on the Shelby site look identical to the Ford Racing bars, maybe they are the Eibachs painted blue? Mine mic out at 24mm for the rear and 35mm for the front. This is the size listed for the Eibachs on the Shelby site so I am thinking maybe I have Ford (Eibach) bars which would be fine by me unless the Granatelli/Spohn design is better. You can see what the different bars look like from the thumbnails. What say ye?
Attached Thumbnails Rear swa bar diameter questions for you aftermarket sway bar owners-received-swaybars.jpg  
Attached Images    

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 11/12/08 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11/13/08, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shape of the bars is almost identical or they wouldn't fit. The size will make a small difference in handling. I would wait to see what Chris can find out and go from there. Oh yea I have the BMRs front and back and they work great which I got them from Chris.
Old 11/13/08, 05:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Eibach makes the FRPP sway bars.
Just the color is different.
My rear Eibach (red) is 24mm.
Old 11/13/08, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

The more I look at this, the more I am convinced that for some reason Granatelli had a set of FRPP bars in a box, along with their bushings and hardware that they sent to Chris at Tillman. I am good with keeping the bars, but my issue is with the size of the poly bushings. Most front bars are 1 3/8 including the Granatelli bars which means my front poly bushings are 1 3/8 which equates to 34.92mm. However, the bar I have is 35mm. That is pretty close and maybe it won't be a problem. However, the rear bar for Granatelli lists at 1", or 25.4mm. The bar I have is 24mm which is a bit smaller than the bushing. I did put them all together and they seem to fit fine. I am inclined to try and get a set of Ford or Eibach endlinks and hardware though at some point. So far though I haven't seen a location where you can order just the endlinks and hardware separate from the bars.

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 11/13/08 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11/13/08, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by travelers
The shape of the bars is almost identical or they wouldn't fit.
Generally speaking, I think you are right. But, if you look at the Granatelli and Spohn design, the ends are quite different in their mounting. The Ford, Eibach, and most others mimic the stock mount on the ends. The Granatelli and Spohn have the ends flatten out and have a bolt that goes throught the poly bushing instead of the bar. I am guessing this allows for them to be adjustable like the front that has the three holes. Here is how the Spohn and Granatelli mount on the end. You can see two holes so you have a choice of stiffness. I just checked the Granatelli instructions and they use the same pictures as the Spohn website. I wonder if Spohn makes Granatelli, or Granatelli makes Spohn. The Spohn website claims their's are chrome moly but the Granatelli site does not mention materials.
Attached Thumbnails Rear swa bar diameter questions for you aftermarket sway bar owners-spohn-rear-bar-mount.jpg  

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 11/13/08 at 09:52 PM.