Rattling with Hurst Shifter - Page 3 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rattling with Hurst Shifter

Old 7/25/10, 10:52 AM   #41  
Mach 1 Member

Looks like I might have to open mine up and apply some of the grease. At first the rattle was minimal, but it's started to get louder over time. Generally it doesn't bother me, cuz I have the windows down and the radio up, but when my wife is riding with me, I hear it. Looks like another project.

Last edited by UMich97; 7/25/10 at 11:12 AM.
UMich97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 7/25/10, 11:05 AM   #42  
Post *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs View Post
It is defective for sure, and I should have done something about it. I was just so annoyed with Hurst that I did t even want to mess with them at the time. How could a company with such a long history of making quality snifters make a piece of crap like that. Now I'm sure it's too late.
Yeah but that long history includes... rattles and notchy...

LOL That sounds like a new cartoon...
cdynaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/26/10, 06:58 PM   #43  
GT Member

Cobra Bob's gasket did not work...it might have made it worse, oh well...
Woodward Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/26/10, 08:54 PM   #44  
Mach 1 Member

I have the rattle but no play in the shifter. I filled in the base with Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease and the noise is like 70-80 percent reduced. I tried to get it filled in around the bearing but that was nearly impossible so hopefully over time and use it will pack in the bearing. I pretty much applied the grease heavily in the cup shape until it was nearly full.
randy_tho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/26/10, 09:49 PM   #45  
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I'll have to wait and decide if it is worth it or not. I didn't hear it at all today, but it was a windows down, stereo up day.
UMich97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/28/10, 08:33 AM   #46  
GT Member

I have to retract my previous statement - after letting the locktite sit overnight I have no more rattling now.
Woodward Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/31/10, 12:00 AM   #47  
GT Member

I have had me Bilet plus for over 2 years I packed the bearing as in the photo with mobel ! wheel bearing greas before install and it has never rattled once.
kd4gij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/31/10, 01:23 AM   #48  
Mach 1 Member

For the guys who are concerned about the notchiness in the shifter, I think you just need to get use to it.....especially if you have not used a short shifter before. I think the notchiness gives it more precision and I am finding my Hurst shifter to be awesome upgrade. It feels like I am playing one of those old school arcade driving games!

The vibrations seem to have settled down with the neoprene insulators from Hurst and a little Lithium grease in the ball joint that has been discussed extensively here

If you guys look at Taco Bill's thread on the MGW shifter install.....you will see MGW uses a lot of insulation which I think why very few people have had problems with MGW. With all the new Hurst shifters, you should be getting those neoprene isolaters which should dampen vibrations.
5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/15, 02:33 AM   #49  
GTR Member

This is an old thread, but did anyone slip the lower opening of the factory rubber boot over the black "flange" of the Hurst so that it wraps around the base of the shifter? Or did you just plop the rubber boot back into place? The factory shifter uses the lower boot as a seal against the base of the shifter, and the top of the rubber boot forms another seal with the shifter handle itself.
metroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/17/16, 06:09 PM   #50  
GT Member

Yes I did use the lower boot and this grease.
http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-...?checkfit=true

Last edited by kd4gij; 1/17/16 at 06:12 PM.
kd4gij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/2/16, 05:39 PM   #51  
Bullitt Member

Quote:
When you guys talk about greasing the shifter, you are referring to packing a heavy grease from the top into the black base?
What I did .....

Last edited by tbear853; 2/2/16 at 05:40 PM.
tbear853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/17, 03:01 PM   #52  

Thanks!

Awesomeness, thanks for the tip on how to fix the hurst shifter rattle! The synthetic grease worked like a charm. It was super annoying and I've been driving around with that fn rattle for 8 months!
Boz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/17, 03:08 PM   #53  
GTR Member

My Hurst boot tore (the one at the bottom of the shifter) and I found out that this boot provides the "return spring" action of the Hurst, at least on the billet version. Once it was torn the shifter would rattle around. Hurst wanted me to buy a replacement, since I had bought my Hurst a few months before they implemented the lifetime warranty.

I fixed the rattle by installing a MGW, which was significantly better in quality and design.
metroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/18, 08:41 PM   #54  
Bullitt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
This is an old thread, but did anyone slip the lower opening of the factory rubber boot over the black "flange" of the Hurst so that it wraps around the base of the shifter?
Yes sir.
tbear853 is offline   Reply With Quote