The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Rattling with Hurst Shifter (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/rattling-hurst-shifter-485090/)

5pointoh 7/2/10 10:57 PM

Rattling with Hurst Shifter

I just installed my Hurst Shifter today in my 05 Mustang GT. I took it for a spin tonite and noticed that there is some rattling/vibration sound sometimes on acceleration. :doh: I did use a little bit of thread locker on both the bolt to the transmission and the bolt connecting the bottom of the shifter stick to the link bar. Is it possible that I may have overtightened the bolt connecting the shifter stick to the link bar?? Someone else suggested this might be the case?

Now I just realized that I forgot to do the stop screw adjustments. Perhaps this is the problem???

If any of you Hurst Shifter owners can chime in, it would be much appreciated. ;)

black sunshine 7/3/10 06:56 AM

No, It's the spherical bearing in the shifter. I packed mine with lithium grease and it's quiet as can be. I also used the oem rubber bushing on the tranny side to help dampen vibration. My shifter is quiet and is breaking in nicely. I have had it on for about 700 miles.

d_bone33 7/3/10 07:47 AM

hey i have a brand new one at home in the box.....how hard was the install..and can you be more specific on the part you put grease on...thank you...god speed

5pointoh 7/3/10 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by black sunshine (Post 5905241)
No, It's the spherical bearing in the shifter. I packed mine with lithium grease and it's quiet as can be. I also used the oem rubber bushing on the tranny side to help dampen vibration. My shifter is quiet and is breaking in nicely. I have had it on for about 700 miles.

Which is the spherical bearing in the shifter? Did you take out the red Hurst bushing then and replace with the black OEM one then?

Installation is not that bad....if you are not mechanically inclined like me, you just have to be patient. Make sure you jack it up safely and put the jack stands in place. I think the toughest part for me is obviously I did not grease certain things or perhaps I overtightened something?

ManEHawke 7/3/10 02:54 PM

I used red bearing grease. The spherical bearing is the pivot ball under the stick. I just packed it in heavy, silent as OEM.

5pointoh 7/3/10 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by black sunshine (Post 5905241)

Originally Posted by ManEHawke (Post 5905420)
I used red bearing grease. The spherical bearing is the pivot ball under the stick. I just packed it in heavy, silent as OEM.

I just went for another drive and it seems like the noise is coming from the chrome stick or gear box area. The stick/ball seems to rattle/vibrate more upon quick acceleration. Did you guys all make stop screw adjustments. The directions from Hurst mention it, but the FordMuscle tech article ignores it. Could this be the problem if it was not done? Do you also put the funny looking washer on the same side as the allen bolts that hold the chrome stick to the shifter or does it go on the opposite side? :confused:

The bottom of the shifter seems pretty solid.....and it does not move up or down as someone else mentioned in one of the other threads. It seems to shift very nicely.

Just noise upon acceleration. Thanks for everyone's input!

black sunshine 7/3/10 03:44 PM

Hey ManEHAwke....You got it right. All the hoopla about this shifter being noisy and the fix is so easy and right under everyones nose.

The noise of the bearing chattering is in it's housing and the sound travels up the shifter lever and is very deceiving.

ManEHawke 7/3/10 04:19 PM

Seems you got everything right, OP. Personally I ditched the stop bolts altogether. Let us know how it sounds after you grease that pivot ball.
If you think about it, everything in the shifter is bolted tight. what is the only thing that has clearance in it, floating so to say... the pivot!! Getting grease allows the ball to ride on the grease. the grease will work its way to make a nice seal.

5pointoh 7/3/10 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ManEHawke (Post 5905443)
Seems you got everything right, OP. Personally I ditched the stop bolts altogether. Let us know how it sounds after you grease that pivot ball.
If you think about it, everything in the shifter is bolted tight. what is the only thing that has clearance in it, floating so to say... the pivot!! Getting grease allows the ball to ride on the grease. the grease will work its way to make a nice seal.

Thanks man! I will get under the car again tomorrow and spray some lithium grease on it. Hopefully that will take care of it. :)

5pointoh 7/3/10 05:22 PM

I put the medium (blue) Loc-Tite/thread locker on the thread holding the shifter to the transmission and also on the thread holding the linkage bar to the shifter stick bottom.

Are there any other threads the Loc-Tite/thread locker needs to be on? Will put some grease on the bushings of the bottom of the shifter stick as suggested.

wjones14 7/3/10 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 5pointoh (Post 5905465)
I put the medium (blue) Loc-Tite/thread locker on the thread holding the shifter to the transmission and also on the thread holding the linkage bar to the shifter stick bottom.

Are there any other threads the Loc-Tite/thread locker needs to be on? Will put some grease on the bushings of the bottom of the shifter stick as suggested.

The only place I used the blue Loc-Tite on mine was on the allen screws that hold the chrome blade to the shifter handle. I installed it four years ago on my '05 without any Loc-Tite, and after about a year, the chrome handle became loose and was vibrating. I pulled the leather boot up, put the thread locker on the bolt, tightened it, and haven't touched it again in over three years now.

I'd say that you should make sure that the knurled mating section of the chrome blade is matched perfectly with the shifter handle - it should be obvious, since it kind of locks together when it mates properly. And put the grease on that bearing like the other guys said. I'm sure that won't hurt, although I never had to do that myself.

I'm really pleased with mine still - an essential mod, IMO. Hope yours works out! :)

-Bill

21411 7/8/10 08:05 PM

had my 05 gt about 1 month before i got the hurst shifter, had my speedshop buddy install it. 3 months in had the same issue with the chrome stick coming loose (lock nuts solved that prob) and on heavy acceleration it rattles a bit but over the radio wind noise and the engine i'm smiling too much to care about a little rattle. :-)) best mod for daily driver i'd say, and with 30,000 miles on it same little rattle same great shift!

5pointoh 7/8/10 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 21411 (Post 5908114)
had my 05 gt about 1 month before i got the hurst shifter, had my speedshop buddy install it. 3 months in had the same issue with the chrome stick coming loose (lock nuts solved that prob) and on heavy acceleration it rattles a bit but over the radio wind noise and the engine i'm smiling too much to care about a little rattle. :-)) best mod for daily driver i'd say, and with 30,000 miles on it same little rattle same great shift!

My rattle is quite noticeable around acceleration in the 3000 RPM range and above. I am going to try and loosen the pivot bolt that attaches the shifter to the linkage arm.

If that does not work, I will pull the shifter out and make sure I grease the bushing sleeve well where the linkage arm attaches to the shifter (i.e. the pivot bolt) and change the red Hurst bushings to the OEM black bushings that connect the shifter arm to the transmission.

Hurst has also offered to send some rubber isolaters to put in between the chrome stick and black shifter stick. Hopefully, this will help dampen the vibration and rattling. :metal:

Does anyone else have any input with the install of their Hurst shifter?

ManEHawke 7/8/10 11:16 PM

So the grease didn't stop the rattle at all?

AnthonyWHAT 7/10/10 08:38 AM

Thanks everyone for all the responses, as I am having the same rattling issue with the Hurst Comp/Plus shifter. It really does suck, but...nothing the shaker 1000 cant handle! :D

wjones14 7/10/10 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by AnthonyWHAT (Post 5908865)
Thanks everyone for all the responses, as I am having the same rattling issue with the Hurst Comp/Plus shifter. It really does suck, but...nothing the shaker 1000 cant handle! :D

Anthony, I think your shifter is defective. I have had mine for 4 years now, and it never rattled and still doesn't rattle. Not a sound out of it, other than a solid "click" when it goes into gear.

Hurst has been around a long time and has built a solid reputation. I imagine their support should be decent. Have you tried contacting them?

5pointoh 7/10/10 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ManEHawke (Post 5908222)
So the grease didn't stop the rattle at all?

I have not had a chance to get under the car yet. Will do it today. :)

I will try loosening the pivot bolt slightly first, since that is easier than yanking the whole thing out.

If that does not work, then I will go the full nine yards (i.e. greasing the pivot bolt, changing back to OEM black bushings etc.).

Wish me luck ;)

randy_tho 7/11/10 01:19 PM

When you guys talk about greasing the shifter, you are referring to packing a heavy grease from the top into the black base?

ManEHawke 7/11/10 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by 5pointoh (Post 5908905)
I have not had a chance to get under the car yet. Will do it today. :)

I will try loosening the pivot bolt slightly first, since that is easier than yanking the whole thing out.

If that does not work, then I will go the full nine yards (i.e. greasing the pivot bolt, changing back to OEM black bushings etc.).

Wish me luck ;)

no need to get under, remove the shifter boot. lift rubber boot. Pack that pivot ball heavy with grease. I advise you to try that first, I know that will fix your rattle. The other items are not your rattle if they are tightened.

randy_tho 7/11/10 11:10 PM

What exactly are you guys using to quiet the noise? I tried spraying lots of white lithium but it is too thin. What about this?http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...oductId=934751