GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pulling the trigger on a blower...one questions...

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/08, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling the trigger on a blower...one questions...

Well I'm probably going to buy a KB within the next month, and in doing so, I want to install in myself. I know I have the tools, knowledge, and patience to do it in my own garage. Just a few questions:

Once I install the blower, I will have it tuned immediately, but will it be drivable? The only place it's going is strait to my tuner. I know it will run like poop with larger injectors, pump, etc and no new tune.

The only other question I have is if you supercharged guys have any tips when install a roots style blower.

Thanks!

Old 6/26/08, 05:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 08VistablueGT
Well I'm probably going to buy a KB within the next month, and in doing so, I want to install in myself. I know I have the tools, knowledge, and patience to do it in my own garage. Just a few questions:

Once I install the blower, I will have it tuned immediately, but will it be drivable? The only place it's going is strait to my tuner. I know it will run like poop with larger injectors, pump, etc and no new tune.

The only other question I have is if you supercharged guys have any tips when install a roots style blower.

Thanks!

If your tuner has done these cars before, he should be able to give you a temporary (approximate) tune that can get you to him safely.
Old 6/26/08, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by karman
If your tuner has done these cars before, he should be able to give you a temporary (approximate) tune that can get you to him safely.
Ahhh good point, didn't think of that.
Old 6/26/08, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Most blower kits come with a hand held tuner and a canned tune for that application. I would not run a stock Ford tune on a supercharged engine.
Old 6/26/08, 07:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Don't run the car on a factory tune with different injectors, ect. Get a tune from a reputable tuner first.

Also, buy a Saleen instead of a KB.

Old 6/26/08, 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Don't run the car on a factory tune with different injectors, ect. Get a tune from a reputable tuner first.

Also, buy a Saleen instead of a KB.

Lol why Saleen over KB?
Old 6/27/08, 05:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Lol why Saleen over KB?
buy a whipple over a saleen and KB!
Old 6/27/08, 05:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Lol why Saleen over KB?
Just messin' with you.... both blowers are great. Saleen has "maybe" better tuning support than KB though; there are many reputable tuners that work closely on Saleen blowers. If you're gonna get a custom tune though, you'll be happy either way.
Old 6/27/08, 05:53 AM
GT Member

Am in the same boat myself. Finally decided to go for a blower too. Probably won't be until Christmas though, and I'm hoping to have my tuner do the install and tune at the same time. Depends on what he wants to do it. I'm a retired ASE Master Tech so I'm pretty sure I could handle the install but to be honest, I've really shied away from most car repairs etc. for quite some time. Lazy? Too busy? Not interested in ANOTHER project? Probably all the above.
Old 6/27/08, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Just messin' with you.... both blowers are great. Saleen has "maybe" better tuning support than KB though; there are many reputable tuners that work closely on Saleen blowers. If you're gonna get a custom tune though, you'll be happy either way.
Oh yeah, definitely a custom dyno tune on my blower, I want every last hp, and the safest, most efficient tune I can get.

Originally Posted by Katshot
Am in the same boat myself. Finally decided to go for a blower too. Probably won't be until Christmas though, and I'm hoping to have my tuner do the install and tune at the same time. Depends on what he wants to do it. I'm a retired ASE Master Tech so I'm pretty sure I could handle the install but to be honest, I've really shied away from most car repairs etc. for quite some time. Lazy? Too busy? Not interested in ANOTHER project? Probably all the above.
Hahaha sounds good Katshot. I know already every day it eats at me more and more to get this thing on!
Old 6/27/08, 10:49 AM
GT Member

Oh yeah, definitely a custom dyno tune on my blower, I want every last hp, and the safest, most efficient tune I can get.

Hahaha sounds good Katshot. I know already every day it eats at me more and more to get this thing on!
Wanted to do it on my last two project cars but never did. Money's better these days so it won't hurt so bad. Plus, this car is just BEGGING for the extra ponies! Not looking to make a street/strip killer, just want the power level to be more realistic for what the Mustang is for. Besides, with the way the OEM's keep raising the bar on performance, I need to mod the car to keep from getting blown-off by a Honda or similar family sedan! It's pitiful really.
Old 6/28/08, 06:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Don't confuse a roots style blower with a twin screw. They are very different. Twin screws dump the air charge right down in between the rotors. Roots blowers send the air charge around the sides of the rotors. Twin screws are much more efficient, cooler air charge temps, and much better top end power than roots. Whipple kits offer the best overall TS set up IMO. They have the largest intercooler and heat exchanger, the most efficient rotor design, GT500 fuel system, spark plugs and everything you need including a ProCal tool for a decent tune.

FWIW, the Saleen uses a Whipple compressor.
Old 6/28/08, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by anthony05gt
Don't confuse a roots style blower with a twin screw. They are very different. Twin screws dump the air charge right down in between the rotors. Roots blowers send the air charge around the sides of the rotors. Twin screws are much more efficient, cooler air charge temps, and much better top end power than roots. Whipple kits offer the best overall TS set up IMO. They have the largest intercooler and heat exchanger, the most efficient rotor design, GT500 fuel system, spark plugs and everything you need including a ProCal tool for a decent tune.

FWIW, the Saleen uses a Whipple compressor.

Ah yes, very true. I am interested in a twin screw. lol And yeah, I heard the Whipple is really nice too, I Just have my eye on a barely used KB kit with a whipple t/b and a custom cooling system.
Old 6/28/08, 07:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Ah yes, very true. I am interested in a twin screw. lol And yeah, I heard the Whipple is really nice too, I Just have my eye on a barely used KB kit with a whipple t/b and a custom cooling system.
Like you I bought a 700mi used KB with several extra goodies including the GT500 fuel system. If you know the kit and the owner well enough to do it, then I say definately do it. I got around $11K worth for about $6.5K. Well worth the savings. Are you getting larger injectors as part of the kit? What type of fuel system?
Old 6/28/08, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverBossGT
Like you I bought a 700mi used KB with several extra goodies including the GT500 fuel system. If you know the kit and the owner well enough to do it, then I say definately do it. I got around $11K worth for about $6.5K. Well worth the savings. Are you getting larger injectors as part of the kit? What type of fuel system?
It's a tuner kit, so it doesn't come with a tuner (which I already have), pump, or injectors. It has everything else including a custom 4 inch intake inlet, heat exchanger, Whipple t/b, 3 pulleys, etc...
Old 6/28/08, 08:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good call on the KB tuner kit, that's what I have, and have been very pleased. I also already had an SCT XcalII, and found the 39lb injectors for cheap off ebay and got a new 90MM Lightnting MAF for cheap as well, so ended up saving enough going with the tuner kit to buy the polished unit instead of black. Gets lots of "wows" when I open the hood.

A good tuner should give you a "generic tune" that will get you to the shop, mine did. Even though that tune was for an identical car with the same mods, it was still lean up top and I could hear pinging. So please don't get on it until you can get the custome tune installed. My car has never liked any "generic" or "canned" tunes, always too rich or too lean. Finicky B1t@#.

I've installed two of these now, and I'm pretty much just an average shadetree mechanic. Both came out great, but the kit has some to be desired. Have a dremel standing by, as there will be some "clearancing" (read: grinding of parts) required to get everything to fit just right. Watch the bolts that screw in the new alternator bracket. One of the holes wasn't threaded well (had to buy a tap) and one of the screws was too short (almost stripped the threads) but a longer screw fixed that easy. The bracket for the intercooler pump has something to be desired, too long and puts the pump almost in the radiator.

When you pull the radiator hose from under the intake, prepair for a flood. Not sure how they fit 5 gallons of coolant (OK, I exagerate) in the crossover tube, but it's a lot!

When the instruction say pull the vent plug from the top of the coolant crossover tube and start the car, DON'T DO IT! Or you will be rewarded with a Prestone Golden Geyser that will cover your efforts with a shower of radiator fluid and distilled water, maybe a little water wetter for the heck of it. Ask me how I know.

Might as well get some HT0 plugs with antiseize while you're in there, if you don't have them already. Some dielectric grease for the injectors is also good, and spray silicone is a necessity for sliding all the hoses together. Be very careful when removing the heater hoses behind the intake on the firewall, because if you crack the heater core, as the directions say, "it will make you cry".

Anyway, that's more info than you asked for. Have fun, I know I did. And the fruits of your labor will be a great sense of accomplishment!!! Followed by more supporting mods such as better clutch, bigger tires, might as well get bigger rims, lighter driveshaft, boost gauge, etc.....
Old 6/28/08, 09:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

LOL I like how you think Brad....
Old 6/28/08, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman
Good call on the KB tuner kit, that's what I have, and have been very pleased. I also already had an SCT XcalII, and found the 39lb injectors for cheap off ebay and got a new 90MM Lightnting MAF for cheap as well, so ended up saving enough going with the tuner kit to buy the polished unit instead of black. Gets lots of "wows" when I open the hood.

A good tuner should give you a "generic tune" that will get you to the shop, mine did. Even though that tune was for an identical car with the same mods, it was still lean up top and I could hear pinging. So please don't get on it until you can get the custome tune installed. My car has never liked any "generic" or "canned" tunes, always too rich or too lean. Finicky B1t@#.

I've installed two of these now, and I'm pretty much just an average shadetree mechanic. Both came out great, but the kit has some to be desired. Have a dremel standing by, as there will be some "clearancing" (read: grinding of parts) required to get everything to fit just right. Watch the bolts that screw in the new alternator bracket. One of the holes wasn't threaded well (had to buy a tap) and one of the screws was too short (almost stripped the threads) but a longer screw fixed that easy. The bracket for the intercooler pump has something to be desired, too long and puts the pump almost in the radiator.

When you pull the radiator hose from under the intake, prepair for a flood. Not sure how they fit 5 gallons of coolant (OK, I exagerate) in the crossover tube, but it's a lot!

When the instruction say pull the vent plug from the top of the coolant crossover tube and start the car, DON'T DO IT! Or you will be rewarded with a Prestone Golden Geyser that will cover your efforts with a shower of radiator fluid and distilled water, maybe a little water wetter for the heck of it. Ask me how I know.

Might as well get some HT0 plugs with antiseize while you're in there, if you don't have them already. Some dielectric grease for the injectors is also good, and spray silicone is a necessity for sliding all the hoses together. Be very careful when removing the heater hoses behind the intake on the firewall, because if you crack the heater core, as the directions say, "it will make you cry".

Anyway, that's more info than you asked for. Have fun, I know I did. And the fruits of your labor will be a great sense of accomplishment!!! Followed by more supporting mods such as better clutch, bigger tires, might as well get bigger rims, lighter driveshaft, boost gauge, etc.....

Great advice man, I will definitely be getting a boost gauge, wideband, etc... as well as more suspension, and a lighter driveshaft right off the bat.
Old 6/29/08, 05:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you have your eyes on a used KB kit and the price is right...that's a good thing