GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Problem with my 4:10's?

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/05, 10:02 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years ago I used to use red lead to set the proper "footprint" on the gears before I could afford the proper tools. I've seen one individual who was able to do it by feel, he set up all differentials at a dealership.
But the simple point is, you will prolly never be able to tell the mechanic how do do it or exactly what's wrong.....but you do know it makes a growling sound which is not proper.
Old 2/23/05, 10:13 PM

IMPORTANT!!!!
I had gears installed yesterday (Ford Racing Gears) and my was making a god awful sound as soon as I pulled out. I took it back and they told me to bring it back today. So I did and they couldn't figure it out so they took the rear all apart again. They pulled the ring gear out and found a casting flaw in the gear. About a 1/8" circle of medal was missing. It looked like a chip on the lower part of the chip. Steeda was great about the whole thing. I did buy another set right then and they didn't charge me to replace. The catch and what may seem confusing is that I bought the gears from somewhere else. I'm now at the mercy of where I bought the 1st set for getting a refund for the defective gears. 0 mile warranty on Ford Racing parts. I might be out $250. Steeda's gears were like $200. Go figure the difference. Once Steeda replaced my gears and bearings, Absolutely no noise or howling!
Old 2/23/05, 10:18 PM
FR500 Member

[quote=169stang,February 23, 2005, 9:16 PM]
IMPORTANT!!!!
I had gears installed yesterday (Ford Racing Gears) and my was making a god awful sound as soon as I pulled out. I took it back and they told me to bring it back today. So I did and they couldn't figure it out so they took the rear all apart again. They pulled the ring gear out and found a casting flaw in the gear. About a 1/8" circle of medal was missing. It looked like a chip on the lower part of the chip. Steeda was great about the whole thing. I did buy another set right then and they didn't charge me to replace. The catch and what may seem confusing is that I bought the gears from somewhere else. I'm now at the mercy of where I bought the 1st set for getting a refund for the defective gears. 0 mile warranty on Ford Racing parts. I might be out $250. Steeda's gears were like $200. Go figure the difference. Once Steeda replaced my gears and bearings, Absolutely no noise or howling!

In one sense, you were lucky it wasn't a hairline crack that didn't make noise before it let go. Sorry to hear you might be out the $250 though.

Paul
Old 2/23/05, 10:19 PM
Banned

I would think they would refund you the money from a customer service stand point, you probably bought the car from them, if we are talking about the dealership. Afterall, you have the invoices / damage gear to back it. Anyone would know that if the gear was installed correctly that you couldn't break the tooth of the gear w/ a practically stock Mustang.
Old 2/24/05, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Properly installed gears should not make noise...get a new mechanic.
Old 2/24/05, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 2k5pony@February 23, 2005, 7:39 PM
No worries....I was having the same thing at 25. As long as it's not backlash then you are ok. Basically you have to remember the driveshaft is spinning alot faster than normal and it is different too with it being a two piece set up. My shop had to just rotate it one bolt hole from the stock setting and it cleared up the vibration I was getting. Have them adjust it,which might take a couple of times, but it will be fine.
Thinking about what you posted 2k5pony, the noise stops when I use the brakes or pump them. That might be that hole driveshaft thing. I'm going to call my mechanic and see what he thinks.
Old 2/24/05, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

I wouldn't rest easy assuming it's the driveshaft.... when you apply the brakes, you change the weight distribution of the car, and change the angle of the driveshaft relative to the differential yolk, which will in turn apply different pressure on the pinion shaft, which may align it just right so the noise goes away. That right there tells me they need to re-do it. I wound't wait at all... the incorrect pressure poits in there could be damaging the carrier and spider gears as well.
Old 2/24/05, 02:53 PM
Banned

I think clitoris hit the nail on the head w/ that reply.
Old 2/24/05, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

good grief! Pressure points? Alignment problems? Self-destructing rear ends?!

Where have all the "Don't fear the gear" Cowboys gone? Should have said "Don't fear the gear.....unless it explodes. Then fear it.....A LOT."

You guys are really creeping me out about this mod now....and here I was all set to go and looking forward to it.
Old 2/24/05, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just spoke with JMS chips about it (wear I bought the ford gears) and he said there should be no noise. I'm sure My mechanic can make things right.
Old 2/24/05, 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

Oh I'm all about the gear, Tony... I'm not worried whatsoever.... I'd highly recommend it.. but I know a guy that goes an EXCELLENT job. He put my 3.73s in my '98. (say it like Adam Sandler) Soooooo hot... want to touch the heiney. Everything went so smoothly... quiet. never a problem. If you can trust you builder, than there's no worries at all.
Old 2/24/05, 03:20 PM
FR500 Member

And if you see your mech having to "realign" someones driveshaft(s) after an install, look elsewhere.
Old 2/24/05, 03:23 PM

All I can say is for those getting them done, INSPECT the gears prior to install. For those with current noise, a good mechanic will begin disassembly, looking over everything as they go. They will more than likely end up inspecting the gears and might find issue with the gears.
Old 2/25/05, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Purple Hayz@February 24, 2005, 4:04 PM
good grief! Pressure points? Alignment problems? Self-destructing rear ends?!

Where have all the "Don't fear the gear" Cowboys gone? Should have said "Don't fear the gear.....unless it explodes. Then fear it.....A LOT."

You guys are really creeping me out about this mod now....and here I was all set to go and looking forward to it.
OMG, the gear ratio has NOTHING to do with these issues. This is a case of a poorly installed gearset. I am a "don't fear the gear cowboy," and I can promise you there is nothing wrong with putting a 4.10 set (or 4.10, or 4.56, or 5.14 for that matter) in the 8.8 rearend. Many people have done it with no problems.

And yes, any part not installed properly is prone to cause failures.
Old 2/25/05, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by clintoris@February 24, 2005, 4:08 PM
Oh I'm all about the gear, Tony... I'm not worried whatsoever.... I'd highly recommend it.. but I know a guy that goes an EXCELLENT job. He put my 3.73s in my '98. (say it like Adam Sandler) Soooooo hot... want to touch the heiney. Everything went so smoothly... quiet. never a problem. If you can trust you builder, than there's no worries at all.

If only I lived in Denver. I don't suppose your mechanic has a twin brother in Southeast Michican, by chance?

In all seriousness, I still fully intend to drop in a set of 4.10s or 4.30s this April. I'm just going to do a LOT of homework when shopping for an install, as I was not aware that installation was so touchy with these things. heck I may even take the car to my Ford dealer. They are a mod-friendly shop, and I imagine they have plenty of experience with gear swaps...

We shall see.