GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pro50 short throw shifter opinions or comments

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/08, 05:58 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro50 short throw shifter opinions or comments

so after reading a ton of threads I have decided to buy a pro50 short throw. While everyone raves about the well crafted mgw, it just feels super tight for me and much notchier. The pro50 seems to throw smoother. It is obvious the quality is ok in comparison to the mgw. My question is am going to crave a tighter throw as I get used to the aftermarket shifter from the stock. I don't want to hear that mgw is just better as I have read plenty of that already. I just want to know if I well regret the pro50? Also the website is so outdated all that is missing is the motley crüe background music. Let's here from those pro 50 owners.
Old 5/20/08, 02:23 PM
Cobra Member

I have the Pro 5.0 and like it very much. It shifts great and is notchy but that is what I like. It is hard to shift into 5th and Reverse but that is starting to ease up the more it gets used. I also put the Hurst chrome shifter handle and **** on mine for that classic look.
Old 5/20/08, 06:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I persoanlly think it's a great shifter. I'm sure everyone will jump in and say buy the MGW but I'm very pleased with mine. BTW, if you want a Hurst handle and **** for your's after you buy it LMK.
Old 10/16/08, 06:24 PM
GT Member

Old thread, but just giving my opinion on the 5.0. I dont really like it. The instructions state to install the larger bushing on the drivers side, this is wrong. It goes on the passenger. Reading through other peoples posts now and its a hit or miss. It will be perfect if your lucky, hard to shift in first and second, or hard to shift in fifth and reverse. If its hard to shift in fifth and reverse you probably have the bushings reversed. You can call Pro 50 and have them send you a shim kit to get it right, but why doesnt it always come perfect from the get-go like the MGW? I would go with an MGW.
Old 10/16/08, 08:55 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdem1123
Old thread, but just giving my opinion on the 5.0. I dont really like it. The instructions state to install the larger bushing on the drivers side, this is wrong. It goes on the passenger. Reading through other peoples posts now and its a hit or miss. It will be perfect if your lucky, hard to shift in first and second, or hard to shift in fifth and reverse. If its hard to shift in fifth and reverse you probably have the bushings reversed. You can call Pro 50 and have them send you a shim kit to get it right, but why doesnt it always come perfect from the get-go like the MGW? I would go with an MGW.
Fair enough...
Old 10/17/08, 01:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Everyone knows the Steeda Tri-Ax and the Pro5.0 are very similar. Initially the Tri-Ax used the same brass offset bushings as the 5.0, but later they went to a U-shaped brass bracket that lets you use the stock bushings. I think they did this to reduce NVH, but it also has the added benefit of making 5th and R easier to shift into.

Steeda can sell you the part separately and it fits the Pro5.0 just the same.

5.0 magazine did a shifter shootout recently. The MGW got raves for it's butter smoothness, but overall it didn't rate much higher than the 5.0. Oddly, the B&M and FRPP/HURST scored higher than the 5.0 and MGW.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ers/index.html

Last edited by BuzzyStang05; 10/17/08 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10/17/08, 02:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well hell, since this was brought up. I've been through a Pro 5.0, had shifting issues (not engaging at high RPMs) and got the MGW thinking it might help. The shifting issues ended up being the clutch. Sold the 5.0 but was never satisfied with the MGW. Very stiff, took a lot of effort to shift into 1st and 2nd and 3rd was pretty hard as well. Sent it to George to check out and installed the stocker. Finally I can get into gears without effort, but **** that shifter sucks. Then WOW, George sends me a brand new MGW. How about that for customer service (100%)!!!!

I put the new MGW on and there's no change and I'm very frustrated, car's not even fun to drive. I said the hell with it, bought another 5.0 to compare and installed it. Three days later I sold the MGW.

The 5.0 is as quiet as the MGW. The MGW does feel stiffer, but that's because the centering spring has more load. I'm just happy I can get into 1-4 without any effort. Yes, 5th and Reverse are a bit stiff but who speed shifts into those gears?

Bottom line, the MGW is a quality shifter that unfortunately does not work well with my car. The 5.0 is a quality shifter that in my car requires no effort to drive.
Old 11/1/08, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

I just picked a 5.0 for a killer deal and looking for any tips/tricks that I should know before doing the install. Also read a couple reviews at AM with complaints about road noise with this shifter. Is that a common issue and if so, anything you all might have found to help minimize it?
I guess we will see how I like this one over stock, but I really wanted the ability to get the classic old school look with the Hurst handle/ball (which I do need to pick up) and was not real comfortable with the hurst shifter itself due to many complaints about vibration/rattle.
Old 11/1/08, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

I have the Pro 5.0 and I purchased the Hurst handle and shifter ball and installed it to the Pro 5.0 because i wanted the old style look also. The install is very easy and the only thing I done was add a piece of rubber between the shifter handle and the shifter.
Old 11/1/08, 08:46 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks. I read that somewhere else as well. Just curious what kind of rubber did you use?? meaning was it something readily available? Do you have any extra road noise as compared to the stock unit?
Old 11/1/08, 10:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

The common piece of rubber most people are using is an orange 4" x 4" piece you can pick up at Lowes or Home Depot in the plumbing section. I don't even think it costs more than a dollar. You can cut it to the size you want with a sharp knife or even scissors.
Old 11/1/08, 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

perfect - thanks!
Old 11/1/08, 12:37 PM
Cobra Member

I just used a piece I had laying around the garage. Their is a little more noise than the factory but nothing to be concerned about.
Old 11/1/08, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

yeah and since I have a ragtop, a little more noise will not be a big deal as the top is down whenever its above 50 degrees!