GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Play in OEM shifter w/ Saleen Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/07, 07:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Play in OEM shifter w/ Saleen Adapter

Guys, I just noticed the other day that my shifter has a minute amount of play in it. When the car is in gear, I can feel the play in the shifter. It's very minute and I might just be a bit ****, but it's bothering me. Is this normal? I checked under the car and made sure the Saleen unit is tight, which didn't make a difference.
Old 2/6/07, 07:55 PM
Cobra R Member

If you are talking about the fact that the shifter can be moved laterally while in gear, then yes it is "normal". [For example, you think you are in neutral, but are really in third, but can still move the shifter left and right a little]. mine does this, and it's a PITA because it's hard to tell if you are in third or neutral with the saleen adapter.
Old 2/6/07, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Guys, I just noticed the other day that my shifter has a minute amount of play in it. When the car is in gear, I can feel the play in the shifter. It's very minute and I might just be a bit ****, but it's bothering me. Is this normal? I checked under the car and made sure the Saleen unit is tight, which didn't make a difference.
Yes it is normal. I just noticed in your signature you have an aluminum driveshaft. I too have the adaptor. Which driveshaft do you have? Clearance has been an issue and I have been dying to talk to someone with the adaptor who has an aluminum or aftermarket DS.
Old 2/6/07, 08:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
If you are talking about the fact that the shifter can be moved laterally while in gear, then yes it is "normal". [For example, you think you are in neutral, but are really in third, but can still move the shifter left and right a little]. mine does this, and it's a PITA because it's hard to tell if you are in third or neutral with the saleen adapter.
I was more talking about when the car is physically IN 3rd gear. I can feel a mm or less of play in the shifter. I never noticed it until recently and wanted to make sure something isn't worn or damaged. I figured it was normal, but wanted to confirm it
Old 2/6/07, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cobra4548
Yes it is normal. I just noticed in your signature you have an aluminum driveshaft. I too have the adaptor. Which driveshaft do you have? Clearance has been an issue and I have been dying to talk to someone with the adaptor who has an aluminum or aftermarket DS.
I have the "Spyder" shaft, which doesn't work with the Saleen. I have decided to keep the Saleen and have put the DS up on E-bay. I am going to put a supercharger on the car, so I figured I didn't need the driveshaft anymore.
Old 2/6/07, 08:15 PM

Well, never mind then. I appreciate the response. I think I found one that will work. It is the one from Denny's Driveshafts. They said they would make one to fit the adaptor if necessary and they said it won't cost one penny more.:-)
Old 2/6/07, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cobra4548
Well, never mind then. I appreciate the response. I think I found one that will work. It is the one from Denny's Driveshafts. They said they would make one to fit the adaptor if necessary and they said it won't cost one penny more.:-)
If the diameter is larger than OEM, it won't work. As we both know, there isn't much clearance between the shifter block and driveshaft.
Old 2/6/07, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by max2000jp
If the diameter is larger than OEM, it won't work. As we both know, there isn't much clearance between the shifter block and driveshaft.
Is the OEM 3 inches or 2.78? I know there isn't much room, trust me. That is what has been a pain in trying to find one that will fit.
Old 2/7/07, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

There is a rubber insulator bushing where the stick sits in the actual shifter mechanism. Just remove your shifter boot and look at it. When I had the saleen adapter I noticed this play a lot more and it had me thinking that I was overstressing that joint and wearing out the bushing quicker than normal. So I removed the saleen adapter and now I dont notice it as much. I tried requesting just the bushing but they dont sell it that way. I'd check to see if it is that.