GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pics:of My "Version" Of The "GT 500"

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/05, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by nomochevys@January 29, 2005, 1:08 PM
Anytime you add stickers and emblems to a Mustang to represent something it is really NOT be prepared to be critisized for it. It may fly in the import scene but not here and I personally feel this forum is way more forgiving than most by a long shot.

Old 1/29/05, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay+January 17, 2005, 7:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vegasjay @ January 17, 2005, 7:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-farmerjohn@January 17, 2005, 2:32 PM
Justin - the GT looks great. The racing stripes look well balanced, right width and separation, and the white on black is awesome. However, the GT 500 decal and the Cobra emblem don't belong on an 2005. Maybe I'm too much of a purist, but those icons should only be displayed on the real thing. Also - love the bullitt wheels, they really fit the nostalgic look of the 05GT.
John, I appriciate the complaments. I do not however share you "purist" views, and I don't have to justify my car to anyone, but I feel compelled to explain it. What makes the Mustang the most popular muscle car of all time and the only one really still on the road, is the heart and soul these cars posses. It is the most moddified and personalized car on the road. The "people" is what makes this legend what it is. In that, I love seeing what people create and bring to life with the art of fabrication and ingenuity. I also love creating things through fabrication and hard work. My car IS NOT an 05 with badges slaped on it for no reason! It is my ceation and interpritation of my favorite car of all time the 1968 Shelby GT 500. The only reason I bought an 05 was 2 years ago when I saw the first concept of the 05, it instantly made me think of the 68. I toyed around with the idea of buying a 68 fastback and building a ground up GT 500, but figured it would be cool to do it the other way around and still have modern convenience's sort-of a "Mod-Resto". I don't think Carrol Shelby would have a problem with my car, so niether should you. In fact if I run into Mr. Shelby at the speedway I'll ask him! And make no mistake about it when my car is done I dare any previous Cobra's to step up to the plate, they may not like the way my snake bites.......
[/b][/quote]

Justin I love your Mustang, I think it looks great! I was really blown away when I read this becasue I feel exactly the same way and could have written this word for word.

My brother had a 68 GT when I was a kid and I have always wanted to buy one and fix it up also. I wanted to make it look like a 68 Shebly also, my all time favorite car, and I'm sure many on these Mustang forum readers favorite also. Everyone know when "Gone in 60 Seconds" came out the world saw a restored, customized 68 Shelby "Elenore" and fell in love with it. Everyone wanted one and wondered why Ford didnt make acar look like that. I think Fors answered quite well with out 05. Now we have a car with the the good looks of her mother, the 68 Shelby, and the modern tech and speed of our day. WHne I look at the front end of the 05 real close I cant believe how much she looks like the 68 Shelby with the fog lights and all.I want to buy the body parts and make mine look much like a 68 Shelby also.

I can se both sides of the badge/emblem issue here. I sort of feel like John about the badges, I want to make my 05 look like a Shelby but I dont I will add the badges out of respect for the original and because I feel like I'd be saying its something it isnt. Just my opinion. However I can seee your side of it also, and I respect you for it. We all love the 68 Shelby, and what your doing is the ultimate honor and tribute to the car we all love. And like you say, its not just a plain stock 05, your moding it into the car you want, above the average in performance and looks, which is just what Carrol Shelby did with the early Mustangs, so I have to think Carrol Shelby would be very honored with what your doing, its is the ultimate compliment really.

OK So having blah blahed all that, Justin besides the performance mods are you planning on any body mods to make her look like aShelby? I'm anxiously waiting for either Blow By Racing BBR or Cervini to give us an Elenore kit. I plan on adding white racing stripes like yours to my Torch red baby after I add body parts. Right now as is we have a pretty nice duct tail and side scoops available, to make the right look, we just need the right front end /bumper cover so we can have the oil cooler and a spoiler up front.

Keep up the good work though, regardless of any naysayers your car looks awsome and does the name Shelby proud!!
Old 1/29/05, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

I Must say to all the good members of this site I appologize. I never wanted or invisoned this thread taking such a negitave turn.... I simply posted Pic's of my project to share, and be helpful and like I said I don't mind constructive criticisim. But what I can't stand for is the few "Punk's" out there (very few I might add) that have nothing more to do but jump on here and "Bash" people's rides. They don't offer anything positive to this site, and degrade it for everyone. I know I should just ignore them but it's harder than you think. In "real" life the way I was brought up, you never back down, even if your pretty sure the outcome will not be in your favor. You have the "heart" to finish it out to the end. I love how these "Punks" potshot, and attack safely from behind thier computer screens. Sorta like the terrorist's work really, I guess. To all the Punks out there I say this...You should save your post's for Stangnet you will fit right in there IMO. I will continue to be a part of this forum, because I truely enjoy it. Most people on here are helpful, cool people bettering the Mustang sport. And to you I say Thank You! I hope the negativity has reached an end, as I don't want to spend my time here dealing with worms....Thank you for your time.
Old 1/29/05, 04:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a couple mods you may want to consider...how about removing the GT on the fenders and leaving just the Cobra there. Following the same line, replacing the rear "GT" medallion with something that looks like this, if someone actually makes one of these:
Old 1/29/05, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by runfox+January 29, 2005, 4:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(runfox @ January 29, 2005, 4:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Vegasjay@January 17, 2005, 7:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-farmerjohn
@January 17, 2005, 2:32 PM
Justin - the GT looks great. The racing stripes look well balanced, right width and separation, and the white on black is awesome. However, the GT 500 decal and the Cobra emblem don't belong on an 2005. Maybe I'm too much of a purist, but those icons should only be displayed on the real thing. Also - love the bullitt wheels, they really fit the nostalgic look of the 05GT.

John, I appriciate the complaments. I do not however share you "purist" views, and I don't have to justify my car to anyone, but I feel compelled to explain it. What makes the Mustang the most popular muscle car of all time and the only one really still on the road, is the heart and soul these cars posses. It is the most moddified and personalized car on the road. The "people" is what makes this legend what it is. In that, I love seeing what people create and bring to life with the art of fabrication and ingenuity. I also love creating things through fabrication and hard work. My car IS NOT an 05 with badges slaped on it for no reason! It is my ceation and interpritation of my favorite car of all time the 1968 Shelby GT 500. The only reason I bought an 05 was 2 years ago when I saw the first concept of the 05, it instantly made me think of the 68. I toyed around with the idea of buying a 68 fastback and building a ground up GT 500, but figured it would be cool to do it the other way around and still have modern convenience's sort-of a "Mod-Resto". I don't think Carrol Shelby would have a problem with my car, so niether should you. In fact if I run into Mr. Shelby at the speedway I'll ask him! And make no mistake about it when my car is done I dare any previous Cobra's to step up to the plate, they may not like the way my snake bites.......

Justin I love your Mustang, I think it looks great! I was really blown away when I read this becasue I feel exactly the same way and could have written this word for word.

My brother had a 68 GT when I was a kid and I have always wanted to buy one and fix it up also. I wanted to make it look like a 68 Shebly also, my all time favorite car, and I'm sure many on these Mustang forum readers favorite also. Everyone know when "Gone in 60 Seconds" came out the world saw a restored, customized 68 Shelby "Elenore" and fell in love with it. Everyone wanted one and wondered why Ford didnt make acar look like that. I think Fors answered quite well with out 05. Now we have a car with the the good looks of her mother, the 68 Shelby, and the modern tech and speed of our day. WHne I look at the front end of the 05 real close I cant believe how much she looks like the 68 Shelby with the fog lights and all.I want to buy the body parts and make mine look much like a 68 Shelby also.

I can se both sides of the badge/emblem issue here. I sort of feel like John about the badges, I want to make my 05 look like a Shelby but I dont I will add the badges out of respect for the original and because I feel like I'd be saying its something it isnt. Just my opinion. However I can seee your side of it also, and I respect you for it. We all love the 68 Shelby, and what your doing is the ultimate honor and tribute to the car we all love. And like you say, its not just a plain stock 05, your moding it into the car you want, above the average in performance and looks, which is just what Carrol Shelby did with the early Mustangs, so I have to think Carrol Shelby would be very honored with what your doing, its is the ultimate compliment really.

OK So having blah blahed all that, Justin besides the performance mods are you planning on any body mods to make her look like aShelby? I'm anxiously waiting for either Blow By Racing BBR or Cervini to give us an Elenore kit. I plan on adding white racing stripes like yours to my Torch red baby after I add body parts. Right now as is we have a pretty nice duct tail and side scoops available, to make the right look, we just need the right front end /bumper cover so we can have the oil cooler and a spoiler up front.

Keep up the good work though, regardless of any naysayers your car looks awsome and does the name Shelby proud!!
[/b][/quote]

Thank you for the good post Runfox! I can fully respect someone for disagreeing with my badgeing it's o.k. Your right imatation is the highest form of flatery. My car will have the performance to back it up, and that is what matter's to me. It's all good! I've addmired Carrol Shelby since I was a kidd. As far as the car goes JMS products is working on the quarter window scoop's. I plan on modding a stock hood with functional front scoop's like the concept hood. The chin spoiler I'm leaning twords the CDC aggressive style. A Ducktail is in the plans for sure as well. Performance mod's are taking center stage right now however. I'd like to get close to 350 RWHP before I get back to the body mod's, will see how it goes... Your car sounds great I would love to see a red w/white stripe'd Shelby style car around also. I'm also curious what Cervini's will be putting out. Keep in touch as I will follow your progress and try to help out any way I can. I also belive in my heart that Mr. Shelby would be honored!
Old 1/29/05, 04:42 PM

Vegasjay,
I think what has happened to this post is sad. I agree with you about sending them to Stangnet. I used to watch 3 other forums, not anymore. Stangnet does contain a fair amount of bashers. IMO if they like your mods then props to you and post, if they don't then they should keep it to themselves and move on to the next topic or at least post a decent disagreement. Save your bashing for people that don't want performance cars around due to environmental reasons. Even Ford vs. Chevy arguments have been less threatening. Your car looks good, and I bet it is respectably quick.
Old 1/29/05, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1@January 29, 2005, 5:30 PM
I have a couple mods you may want to consider...how about removing the GT on the fenders and leaving just the Cobra there. Following the same line, replacing the rear "GT" medallion with something that looks like this, if someone actually makes one of these:

That's a good idea holderca1! I've been looking for something like that. As far as removeing the GT badges I was kinda waiting to see what was under there i.e I belive there's two allinement holes? I need to know what to plan for as far as after thier removal. If any one has a pic of the GT badges removed I would appriciate it! Thank's for the input.
Old 1/29/05, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by dhof303@January 29, 2005, 5:45 PM
Vegasjay,
I think what has happened to this post is sad. I agree with you about sending them to Stangnet. I used to watch 3 other forums, not anymore. Stangnet does contain a fair amount of bashers. IMO if they like your mods then props to you and post, if they don't then they should keep it to themselves and move on to the next topic or at least post a decent disagreement. Save your bashing for people that don't want performance cars around due to environmental reasons. Even Ford vs. Chevy arguments have been less threatening. Your car looks good, and I bet it is respectably quick.
I don't think anyone has a problem with his mods, I think they have a problem with him calling it a GT500 vs a modded GT. The way I figure it, it's his car, he is making payments, he can do whatever he wants to it. The only problem I have is the name calling that keeps getting thrown around, that is absolutely not necessary.
Old 1/29/05, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Vegasjay+January 29, 2005, 5:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vegasjay @ January 29, 2005, 5:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-holderca1@January 29, 2005, 5:30 PM

That's a good idea holderca1! I've been looking for something like that. As far as removeing the GT badges I was kinda waiting to see what was under there i.e I belive there's two allinement holes? I need to know what to plan for as far as after thier removal. If any one has a pic of the GT badges removed I would appriciate it! Thank's for the input.
[/b][/quote]
I think there are alignment holes, I wonder if the cobra would cover those holes, definitely need to see where exactly the holes are, you're right.
Old 1/29/05, 04:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by dhof303@January 29, 2005, 5:45 PM
Vegasjay,
Thank you dhof303! My thought's exactly. Just think what we could accomplish if all this negativity was aimed at a cause we all fight. Like you said environmentalist's that would rather us all be rideing bicycles!! ect. As far as the quick part, I'm work'n on it!
Old 1/29/05, 04:57 PM

I have the badge removed from my car currently, it is at the paint shop to get stripes over the entire car. I will stop by there and take some pics, I planned on removing the emblem my self and replacing it with something else.

holderca1, I understand that they have a problem with the "GT500" thing. I see that he titles the thread my "GT500" but I really don't think that he is passing this on to others that it is a real GT500. I have GT350 on my car but in no way at anytime accept the misconception that my car is a real Shelby. Sorry if at first I seemed as if I were a "basher" myself.
Old 1/29/05, 05:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by dhof303@January 29, 2005, 6:00 PM
I have the badge removed from my car currently, it is at the paint shop to get stripes over the entire car. I will stop by there and take some pics, I planned on removing the emblem my self and replacing it with something else.

holderca1, I understand that they have a problem with the "GT500" thing. I see that he titles the thread my "GT500" but I really don't think that he is passing this on to others that it is a real GT500. I have GT350 on my car but in no way at anytime accept the misconception that my car is a real Shelby. Sorry if at first I seemed as if I were a "basher" myself.
Thank's for takeing the pic's that would be a big help! And your right I have never tried to pass my car off as a real "Shelby". It's not, it's my interpritation and tribute to Shelby's of the past. That's why I call it "my" GT 500, It's my version of it with the 05, that's all nothing more. The retro snakes is were all the heat came down....Oh well it is what it is I guess.
Old 1/29/05, 08:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Justin the car is looking amazing!! Keep up the good work! And as far as the hater goes, that was pretty immature... I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however some of them are left better unspoken.
Old 1/29/05, 09:56 PM
GT Member

Are you stripes painted on or vinyl.
Old 1/29/05, 10:29 PM
FR500 Member

Was looking at the header pics............Bet you those were knuckle busters!
Old 1/29/05, 11:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Justin, your car is AMAZING!! Way to go dude!! Keep up the good work and don't let the haters get to you!! I'm planning an a "tribute" model myself w/ my '66 coupe, even thinking of putting original snakes and emblems from the real deal on it!! My '84 is an original anniversary model w/ the GT350 stripes on the sides and I've wanted to make it into a fox version of a shelby too, when time and budget permits. Maybe putting an '03 Cobra motor in it would make it even more real? I've never understood why people just can't say something nice or nothing at all!!!
Old 1/30/05, 12:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2MustangJohn@January 30, 2005, 12:29 AM
Justin, your car is AMAZING!! Way to go dude!! Keep up the good work and don't let the haters get to you!! I'm planning an a "tribute" model myself w/ my '66 coupe, even thinking of putting original snakes and emblems from the real deal on it!! My '84 is an original anniversary model w/ the GT350 stripes on the sides and I've wanted to make it into a fox version of a shelby too, when time and budget permits. Maybe putting an '03 Cobra motor in it would make it even more real? I've never understood why people just can't say something nice or nothing at all!!!

2MustangJohn, Thank you for the complement's. I also wanted to thank you and all you guy's that are building these cars!! I have never had or been around a car as well made as these car's. They are top notch and give all Americans something to be very proud of!! :usa: It sounds like your going to have two bad hieny pony's in your stable, right on!! Must see some pic's!!
Old 1/30/05, 12:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you for the good post Runfox! I can fully respect someone for disagreeing with my badgeing it's o.k. Your right imatation is the highest form of flatery. My car will have the performance to back it up, and that is what matter's to me. It's all good! I've addmired Carrol Shelby since I was a kidd. As far as the car goes JMS products is working on the quarter window scoop's. I plan on modding a stock hood with functional front scoop's like the concept hood. The chin spoiler I'm leaning twords the CDC aggressive style. A Ducktail is in the plans for sure as well. Performance mod's are taking center stage right now however. I'd like to get close to 350 RWHP before I get back to the body mod's, will see how it goes... Your car sounds great I would love to see a red w/white stripe'd Shelby style car around also. I'm also curious what Cervini's will be putting out. Keep in touch as I will follow your progress and try to help out any way I can. I also belive in my heart that Mr. Shelby would be honored!
[/quote]

Yeah I got to beleive ol Carrol ould be proud of what your doing. Its not like your taking a stock Mustang,or a V6 like some I have seen, and slapping Shelby badges on it. :nono: Your doing exactly what Carrol Shelby did in his day, taking a stock Mustang, adding performance and exterior mods and making something unique, something you can call your own. Thats the beauty of our Mustangs, we can all make them unique to suit our own tastes, and ITS ALL GOOD!!

Only thing I been thinking about your Cobra badges , in 07 we'll have a new Cobra wearing those badges and some day some sort of "Shelby" Mustang again which may have the same badges or stripes. Just something to think about , you may have more people asking silly questions when they come out in the future also. I think you might be better off with either the GT badges or all Cobra Snakes as having both might give your Black Beauty a little bit of an identity crisis.

About your reply, I am so amazed you thinking of making a functional hood scoop, I'm anxious so see if you can pull that one off.You are definitly ambitious, I'll give you that! With all the after market parts and mods out there, I have yet to see any of them accomplish a functional scoop. CDC has this good looking Mach 1 scoop but its basicly for looks only.

I like CDC's rear duck tail and some the side scoopd are there , I'm mainly waitting to see the right look for the front right now. I want the "Elenore", Shelby cut out front bumper for oil cooler, spolier look up front.
Old 1/30/05, 12:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by dfhurleydude182+January 29, 2005, 9:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dfhurleydude182 @ January 29, 2005, 9:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Justin the car is looking amazing!! Keep up the good work! And as far as the hater goes, that was pretty immature... I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however some of them are left better unspoken.
[/b]

Thank's

Originally posted by btrokc@January 29, 2005, 10:59 PM
Are you stripes painted on or vinyl.
They are vinyl, gloss white, 10" wide w/1" gap.

<!--QuoteBegin-wild stray
@January 29, 2005, 11:32 PM
Was looking at the header pics............Bet you those were knuckle busters!
[/quote]
Yes, more than a couple drop's of blood were spilled!! :shock:
Old 1/30/05, 01:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by runfox,January 30, 2005, 1:28 AM
Yeah I got to beleive ol Carrol ould be proud of what your doing. Its not like your taking a stock Mustang,or a V6 like some I have seen, and slapping Shelby badges on it. :nono: Your doing exactly what Carrol Shelby did in his day, taking a stock Mustang, adding performance and exterior mods and making something unique, something you can call your own. Thats the beauty of our Mustangs, we can all make them unique to suit our own tastes, and ITS ALL GOOD!!

Only thing I been thinking about your Cobra badges , in 07 we'll have a new Cobra wearing those badges and some day some sort of "Shelby" Mustang again which may have the same badges or stripes. Just something to think about , you may have more people asking silly questions when they come out in the future also. I think you might be better off with either the GT badges or all Cobra Snakes as having both might give your Black Beauty a little bit of an identity crisis.

About your reply, I am so amazed you thinking of making a functional hood scoop, I'm anxious so see if you can pull that one off.You are definitly ambitious, I'll give you that! With all the after market parts and mods out there, I have yet to see any of them accomplish a functional scoop. CDC has this good looking Mach 1 scoop but its basicly for looks only.

I like CDC's rear duck tail and some the side scoopd are there , I'm mainly waitting to see the right look for the front right now. I want the "Elenore", Shelby cut out front bumper for oil cooler, spolier look up front.
[/quote]

runfox, your right with the GT and the snake's, along with the other's that have made that comment as well. I have decided that when I see the pic's of the GT badge removed I will examine the indents and see if the snake's will cover them. If not I will make the swap when I have the scoop's and ducktail molded, so I can knock out all the body work at once. My thought's on the snake's and future model's, is my snake's are retro. There the Scott Drake 68 Shelby replica's so I'm thinkin Ford will put a more modern snake on there's in 07 (I hope!). Plus by that time I hope to be in the 500-600 HP range, so the "bite" will deffinately be in that "old snake". . As far as the hood goes, my friend at Ford is trying to order it for me at his cost. I've got about 25 hours in design and engineering and I like what I come up with. The scoop's will not brake the plane of the hood line. They will be up front, and 8" wide each. The front angle of them will match the hood line's and the back (toword the windshield) will be squared off. They will be aprox. 4" of the centerline of the hood to each side. The scoop's will have nice aluminum screens in them and not "puddle" water as some scoop's do. This hood was ment to have these scoop's in them, heck there already there I just have to "chisel" them out! I will channel the air to the C&L intake cone filtter, and try to get a ram air effect with the heatshield ect. If I can pull this off I hope to sell them here as a side job, that would be cool. My pony could start paying for her own mod's!! I should have a proto-type in a month or so...
What's your spin on the CDC aggresive Chin Spoiler?? I think it might lean it's self to a Shelby? Check it out on cal-mustang.com, page 2
I just hope Carrol Shelby can hang in there a little while longer, It would really mean a lot to me if he could check it out and maybe lite the tire's up or something!! B)