GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pics of my Airaid CAI

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/06, 04:57 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyB
You could always buy a duplicate of the plastic hose you have to modify, and replace it when you put the stock parts back on for any warranty work. I can't imagine it being very expensive.
My dealer will void your warranty for mods,but because the Airaid does not require a retune he has no problem with it. mitch e
Old 7/29/06, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bob, thanks so much for your thoughts. Our thought patterns are almost the same. I to really like the looks of the GMS CAI, but like you, I'm scared to pull the trigger with soooooo little known. So I'm on hold pattern until the funds become available, then I'll do the Borla's, then the CAI - then my wood steering wheel that will add 100hp to my interior.
Old 7/29/06, 07:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by nole_trainer
Bob, thanks so much for your thoughts. Our thought patterns are almost the same. I to really like the looks of the GMS CAI, but like you, I'm scared to pull the trigger with soooooo little known. So I'm on hold pattern until the funds become available, then I'll do the Borla's, then the CAI - then my wood steering wheel that will add 100hp to my interior.
Hello nole...yeah got me the Ford Plenum cover and that made my GT alot faster too. <g>

This is the first muscle car I've had in 25 years (last fast car I had was a 69 GTO and before that a 67 Camaro SS 350. Wish I still had that Camaro) So it's been a while since I've had engine 'volume'! Seriously, with the Flowmasters and now this Airaid CAI, even though I love the way it sounds I feel like I'm scaring everyone I drive by! And the funniest thing is that everyone on these forums probably think my setup ain't near loud enough!!
Old 7/29/06, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blaster
A picture of it installed. My GT is '06 Black
Hey Bob the engine looks great. I have a couple of pointers for you. The install looks much cleaner if you locate the hose clamp screws to the underside, out of sight and also use the stock metal spacer under the washer that holds the air box in place so the bushing doesn't flaten out. One more thing, the hood seal is on backwards. I love the looks of the intake runner cover. Mine's on order from Ford.
Old 7/29/06, 10:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cdvision
Hey Bob the engine looks great. I have a couple of pointers for you. The install looks much cleaner if you locate the hose clamp screws to the underside, out of sight and also use the stock metal spacer under the washer that holds the air box in place so the bushing doesn't flaten out. One more thing, the hood seal is on backwards. I love the looks of the intake runner cover. Mine's on order from Ford.
Hey thanks. Yeah I wasn't sure about that hood seal. I see yours now and how it's bent back. I'll change that.
I put the clamps in that position to make it easier to get on and off in case I have to take it in to my dealer, Darth Vader Ford, who says a CAI will void my warranty.
Old 7/30/06, 05:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

See, comments like Claude's are what makes this site great!! He nicely tells Bob he screwed up!!! Really - I love this site because of these type of comments. I would probably turn the whole thing upside down, not just the clamps
Old 7/30/06, 05:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Great tips for sure - subtle details that make a definite difference. I would have also rotated the rubber couplings where the 'airaid' logo wasn't visible, if possible. One big logo is enough for me. I see a lot of people with that 'x' mark still on their plastic alternator pulley cover - a rag with a little paint thinner will take it right off. I 'de-paint dobbed' my entire car while I was waiting for Shelby parts for my supercharger install, and it looks really nice. I'll add them back when I restore her in 25 years, lol... J/k. The devil is in the details.
Old 7/30/06, 07:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RandyB
Great tips for sure - subtle details that make a definite difference. I would have also rotated the rubber couplings where the 'airaid' logo wasn't visible, if possible. One big logo is enough for me. I see a lot of people with that 'x' mark still on their plastic alternator pulley cover - a rag with a little paint thinner will take it right off. I 'de-paint dobbed' my entire car while I was waiting for Shelby parts for my supercharger install, and it looks really nice. I'll add them back when I restore her in 25 years, lol... J/k. The devil is in the details.
Yes, I was thinking of taking off the large logo on the main pipe. I think the logo looks good at the Throttle Body but looks likes someone just stamped it on the pipe.

Cdvision: I found the metal grommet which was part of the stock air box. Thanks for the tip on using that with the new airaid box because it does keep the airaid rubber grommet from smashing. (Plus I turned that rubber seal strip around. Now it's right.)
Old 7/31/06, 02:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Bob, the only thing that will get rid of the throttle lag is a tune. Its there with all the automatic cars. Even 5-speeds have them, its just not as bad. Mine is basically gone. In regards to the MVT, yes, it basically fools the MAF sensor, but its only a little tube. The air going into the throttle body is much bigger than stock, so more air goes in. In regards to the power issue, maybe because my car is a 5-speed, its a different feel, but I can chirp in 2nd and 3rd (if I really try to). The best with mine, is the passing power in 4th gear. It really pulls when I'm crusing at 60 and want to pass someone, 80 comes along real quick.
Old 7/31/06, 03:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Bob, the only thing that will get rid of the throttle lag is a tune.....
Yeah....I bought the Airaid trying to get a little more performance without a tune and it does the job nicely and I'm trying to talk myself out of a tune but it ain't working! <g>
Old 7/31/06, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Get a tune Bob....you won't regret it! I thought I'd be happy with just the CAI too, but there's really no comparison between a stand-alone CAI and a tune....night and day
Old 7/31/06, 05:47 PM

lower mpg

I have had my Airaid installed for about 2 months and it works great BUT, I seemed to have lost a couple of MPG's was running about 16.3 in the city and about 26 on the long haul but now I get 14.8 and 23.5. Any ideas?? Could it be that most of the gas has 10% ethanol??
Old 7/31/06, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blaster
Well I went ahead and did it. I was tired of thinking this over!
My first choice would have been Demolet Tunable Induction with SCT Xcal 2 purchased from Brenspeed with tunes. But I really do not want to flash my computer yet until I get more miles to make sure I have no engine issues...maybe even come out of warranty.
The other CAI I have been interested in was Granatelli but can't find anyone who has one to say anything about it. I too think the Airaid is nice and since it looks like I have the option of getting an SCT and tunes for Airaid from at least Bamachips as of now, then I think this CAI will be fine for down the road when I do a tune.

So here's my opinion on it since I already installed it and drove around for about 2 hours. There is a noticable perfomance gain but I was hoping I would feel it a little more...but still, it's definitely there. Throttle response is better too especially at lower rpm. I have an automatic and when floored (especially when it downshifts all the way to 1st) you can feel it a little more. It's also got some volume to it...but I guess they all do. It still won't chirp tires when shifting (from 1st to 2nd at WOT) so maybe I will need a tune for that.

I installed Flowmasters last week and they are fairly loud to me and now the CAI on top of that. So for about $600 so far what I've really got at this point is a little perfomance gain but a lot more engine volume! If I had to do it again I think I'd rather have more perfomance and less volume, but I do like the sound and I guess I'll get used to it. (You get the feeling you're waking everyone up as you drive down the street! Oh well, maybe they need waking up. I just don't want to wake up the cops.) If this starts bugging me I may put my stock exhaust back on. I bet the Airaid still sounds pretty good with them.

Now one thing I do question. Airaid web site says 17 rwhp gain and 21 torque gain. Has anyone looked close at the dyno chart on their web site? There is a discrepancy. The graph looks like stock torque sits around 242 and with Airaid at 263 for a gain of 21. Yet the numbers above say stock max torque = 253.7 and Airaid max torque = 263.5. If those numbers are correct then that's only a gain of 9.8. A gain of 9.8 is more believable to me. I don't see how you can get a gain of 21 ft lbs with just a CAI and no tune, but maybe I'm wrong.
I also understand why the Airaid throws no codes. The MVT is just really a tube which is the same diameter as the stock MAF. The stock MA sensor is calibrated to measure air volume in a certain diameter tube. Since the Airaid MVT is a tube of the same stock diameter then the MA sensor sees no difference. The Granatelli solution is to recalibrate the MA sensor electronics for a larger diameter tube and therefore they supply a new MA sensor with their unit.

Ok sorry...I've gone on long enough! To conclude I like the Airaid just fine. So further down the line I probably get an SCT and a tune for this CAI and that will complete the process.
I would have waited, at least I'm going to. I really don't want to mess with the tuning aspect of my car either, least not for a long while. I am really hoping the Granatelli product comes through, it all looks very promising in theory. Oh, and you should've gotten the Corsa's
Old 7/31/06, 08:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
I would have waited, at least I'm going to. I really don't want to mess with the tuning aspect of my car either, least not for a long while. I am really hoping the Granatelli product comes through, it all looks very promising in theory. Oh, and you should've gotten the Corsa's
Yeah...Corsa would have been nice but their price is a lot more than I wanted to spend. I like the Airaid. Other users have written they like it and I know bamachips has an sct tune for it so after a few months go by and I feel more comfortable I'll probably get the sct.

Oh...I'm getting ready to take it to dealer for service so I went ahead and put the stock intake back on and I timed myself. I disconnected neg side of battery, loosened the airaid at tb, unscrewed 2 screws holding the shield, disconnected maf, disconnected breather hose and took the whole unit out in one piece. Put the old intake box in with one screw, re-assembled intake pipe to TB and shield, moved MAF to stock box, reconnected breather hose and hooked battery back up. It took about 14 minutes!
Old 7/31/06, 08:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mustangspeeder
Get a tune Bob....you won't regret it! I thought I'd be happy with just the CAI too, but there's really no comparison between a stand-alone CAI and a tune....night and day
Hey...good...someone who has an Airaid tune by Bamachips. I guess it's working out for you?
Did you just leave the MVT pipe in?