GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

NSR Cams

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/08, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RKNMACH
A poster in another forum indicated that the higher lobes would wear the springs out quicker. Like to hear more about that thought.

Well I haven't chimed in here on this subject yet but now I will. Yes, the Comp NRS cams have a higher lift than the stock cams and will stress the stock springs more the the stock cams. This modding thing is not a perfect world and you will gain horsepower with this mod but it will shortern the stock spring life. How much at this point is anyones guess. All I can say is any mod you do to these cars will have a downside. It is up to the individual to determine if the gain is worth the risk. It surely is not a perfect world. "Pay your money and take your chances" Nobody out there will offer you anything better than this. That said.....I am very happy with the power gains I got for 1K spent!!!!!
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/18/08 at 10:54 PM.
Old 3/19/08, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Well I haven't chimed in here on this subject yet but now I will. Yes, the Comp NRS cams have a higher lift than the stock cams and will stress the stock springs more the the stock cams. This modding thing is not a perfect world and you will gain horsepower with this mod but it will shortern the stock spring life. How much at this point is anyones guess. All I can say is any mod you do to these cars will have a downside. It is up to the individual to determine if the gain is worth the risk. It surely is not a perfect world. "Pay your money and take your chances" Nobody out there will offer you anything better than this. That said.....I am very happy with the power gains I got for 1K spent!!!!!
Scott
Understand your logic about modding and taking your chances. I have no problem if it's a 50,000 mile lifetime for the stock springs with a new higher lift cam. If we're talking 20,000 or so miles than I'd probably upgrade the springs now to save the $$$ down the road. I also realize there is no guarantee on lifetime - just looking for an educated guess. I plan on keeping this for a long time - I also don't race it and pick my spots for WOT so I may get a little more lifetime than some. And of course, I 'd rather spend $1,000 as opposed to $2,000 for the same result.

Chris
Old 3/19/08, 08:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Understand your logic about modding and taking your chances. I have no problem if it's a 50,000 mile lifetime for the stock springs with a new higher lift cam. If we're talking 20,000 or so miles than I'd probably upgrade the springs now to save the $$$ down the road. I also realize there is no guarantee on lifetime - just looking for an educated guess. I plan on keeping this for a long time - I also don't race it and pick my spots for WOT so I may get a little more lifetime than some. And of course, I 'd rather spend $1,000 as opposed to $2,000 for the same result.

Chris
If I where planning to keep it a long time, I would opt to do the stage 3 comp install .Springs that will hold up and pick up another 7 to 10 HP !.....
Old 3/19/08, 09:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
If I where planning to keep it a long time, I would opt to do the stage 3 comp install .Springs that will hold up and pick up another 7 to 10 HP !.....
I would wait and do springs , cams together. All the hype over the ford cams you know 3 more cam maker will bring out thumping cams.
Old 3/20/08, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Interesting thought. Maybe I don't understand the 7-10 hp part. These NSR cams are supposed to deliver anywhere from 20-25 rwhp. Are you saying install the springs and gain 7-10 rwhp with cam and springs or gain an additional 7-10 rwhp with stronger springs? Help me out here. Thanks.

Last edited by RKNMACH; 3/20/08 at 06:56 AM.
Old 3/20/08, 07:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Interesting thought. Maybe I don't understand the 7-10 hp part. These NSR cams are supposed to deliver anywhere from 20-25 rwhp. Are you saying install the springs and gain 7-10 rwhp with cam and springs? Help em out here. Thanks.
No, the Comp stage III are the other Cams that www.brenspeed.com advertise on web site there a little more aggressive but do require the spring upgrade......

Last edited by blkstang06; 3/20/08 at 07:09 AM.
Old 3/20/08, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like they give you a little more hp than the NSR cams so I guess it's a matter of deciding if the extra hp is worth the additonal $1,000 or so. Probably is in the long range view but as Shawn13 indicated - "more NSR cam choices will be coming if there is a market for them". May have to sit and wait for a bit to see what other options develop.
Old 3/20/08, 07:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Looks like they give you a little more hp than the NSR cams so I guess it's a matter of deciding if the extra hp is worth the additonal $1,000 or so. Probably is in the long range view but as Shawn13 indicated - "more NSR cam choices will be coming if there is a market for them". May have to sit and wait for a bit to see what other options develop.
True, but from what Brent has found is there really is only so far you can go with out stronger springs and guides.
Old 3/20/08, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

True, but from what Brent has found is there really is only so far you can go with out stronger springs and guides.
Agreed. However, paying $100 per hp may not be cost effective for that small a gain. Just have to work it out at this point.