GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Non Catted X-Pipe -VS-Stock Catted H-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/07, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non Catted X-Pipe -VS-Stock Catted H-Pipe

Hey Guys.....I just put a Pyes Non-Catted X-Pipe on my 07...It already has Ford Racing Performance Mufflers on it...it was an easy install....but the end results are less than good. I started the Car up and it sounded like Crap////smoked like crazy....not the oil on the pipes burning off kind of smoke....but un-burned fuel smoke.... I took it off the Hoist and took it for a run.....the Car has no bottom end at all anymore....no power till I get to about 3000 rpm's.....it dont shift as hard...and will not chirp a Tire for nothing now...Is this because there is less Back Pressure on the Motor??? I told Doug that I was going to add an aftermarket non-catted H-Pipe....but instead went with the X-Pipe...could this be messing up the Tunes?? I am stumped and about ready to put the Factory Pipes back on it again....I keep going backwards in the Horsepower game with it....I dont know what I am doing wrong
Old 8/25/07, 03:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X pipe and H pipe should not affect the tune, as long as they are both off road pipes. I wonder if Doug sent you the wrong tune? Did you load the tune and drive it around before you installed the pipes, or did you install both at the same time?
Old 8/25/07, 08:47 PM

No I have had the Tunes for a couple Months....and have had to reload them a bunch...since the Automatic has a Learning Feature...and it keeps softening up the Shifts on Me....yesterday I d/loaded the 91 Torque Tune.....and wasnt really impressed with it....so I put it back to the 87 Octane Performance with 90 octane fuel in the Tank.....and it seemed to be normal....then this Morning I took off the Factory Catted H-Pipe....and installed the O/R X-Pipe....and it has been a DOG ever since....plus I am really not too sure I like the Sound of it either!! But it is totally Gutless now....and it dont even shift anywhere near what it did before the Pipe.....it's got me Stumped....and I cant get in contact with Doug.....and I havent gotten an answer on the email I sent Him....must be out of Town this weekend.
Old 8/26/07, 09:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
There's nothing in the PCM calibration that would differentiate an X-pipe from a H-pipe crossover. However, the lack of cats would require some tuning to disable the rear O2 sensors (which were probably already disabled using standard SCT base tunes). As long as your primary O2s are functioning properly, the lack of cats wouldn't affect the feedback too much.

There's going to be some lack of backpressure but so far everyone that I know who has gotten rid of the cats never complained about the lack of low end power.

The OEM cats are expensive at $1200 a piece. The lesson I learned from years of modifying Fords is not to screw with the stock T-409 SS exhaust system unless you absolutely have to replace components.
Old 8/26/07, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex
The OEM cats are expensive at $1200 a piece. The lesson I learned from years of modifying Fords is not to screw with the stock T-409 SS exhaust system unless you absolutely have to replace components.

I was really thinking about cutting the Factory Catted H-Pipe ....removing the H and cutting the X-Pipe down and adding it to the Factory cats....sort of like the Ford Racing add-on X-Pipe......but what I really need to know from you Guy's is....is the X=Pipe worth the Trouble....or has Ford nailed it on the Exhaust that comes Stock on it??? I really don't know if I care for the Sound of the X-Pipe....too raspy and no deep Tone....but if it is a better system....I could learn to live with it....either way I am not tossing the Factory System out....I will keep it
Old 8/26/07, 11:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The X-pipe crossover alone isn't worth the trouble. What I would do if I were to modify my 07 GT is get good long-tube headers with a H-crossover. The long tube headers will net you respectable power gains. Ford did a FANTASTIC job with the stock exhaust. Aftermarket axle-back mufflers were shown to yield negligible gains. My only complaint about the stock exhaust is that it still drones on the highway, but the growl in 3rd gear at WOT is amazing.