GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Drive shaft question and possible air leak...

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/07, 03:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drive shaft question and possible air leak...

BuckeyeBOSS and I installed a set of long tube headers and h-pipe as well as prothane bullet engine mounts a little while ago without too many problems. Now it seems I have a couple issues.

1) I hear a type of "ticking" when I accelerate. Seems to be mainly from the drivers side and possibly from under my driver side seat. It's pretty loud during acceleration but hardly noticable when cruising. I was going to loosen up the bracket at the header & h-pipe connections and re-fit/re-tighten them.

Do you have any suggestions on finding/fixing the leak? Does anybody think it could be something else other then an air leak? If so, any suggestions on a fix?

2) In order to install the headers I had to disconnect the driveshaft from the knuckle. It only fits in one way so I didn't think it would be an issue when I put it back together. Now at any speed except just above idle I have "play" in my stearing wheel. I would estimate up to about an inch in both directions before the car turns. It's much more difficult to keep the car straight because of this as well. I have to turn the wheel much further before I can correct the cars direction.

Any suggestions as to why this is and how to correct the issue?

Both problems are driving me nuts so any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.
Old 8/19/07, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) I hear a type of "ticking" when I accelerate. Seems to be mainly from the drivers side and possibly from under my driver side seat. It's pretty loud during acceleration but hardly noticable when cruising. I was going to loosen up the bracket at the header & h-pipe connections and re-fit/re-tighten them.
yea, that will take care of the ticking, sounds like an exhaust leak.
Now at any speed except just above idle I have "play" in my stearing wheel. I would estimate up to about an inch in both directions before the car turns. It's much more difficult to keep the car straight because of this as well. I have to turn the wheel much further before I can correct the cars direction.
here, you should check your steering column. im sure you had to loosen/remove it for the long tube install.
Old 8/19/07, 07:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wallace
yea, that will take care of the ticking, sounds like an exhaust leak. here, you should check your steering column. im sure you had to loosen/remove it for the long tube install.
+1 to the steering column....the DS will not affect play in the steering wheel
Old 8/20/07, 07:58 AM
GT Member

Thanks guys... the ticking is annoying but the the play in the wheel can be dangerous (especially if I'm at the track at high speeds). Steering is a bit important. lol
Old 8/20/07, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the ticking is annoying but the the play in the wheel can be dangerous
no doubt
Old 8/22/07, 08:26 AM
GT Member

I tightened the bolts by the knuckle at the end of the steering column as much as I could but I still have the play in my steering wheel. Is there something that could be wrong with the steering column itself? Or when I moved it over could something have come loose at the top?
Old 8/26/07, 11:14 AM
GT Member

Well... it seems like it would be obvious but I only caught the problem because the light hit the engine bay just right...

I had the bolts in the steering column knuckle in backwards!!! The threads in the knuckle are only on one side so if you put them in backwards you don't get the "squeeze".

As far as the "ticking" sound... I replaced my aftermarket clamps with the stock clamps by the H-pipe. They fit much more snug and have all but eliminated the "ticking" sound. I may go to the dealer and by more stock clamps for the header/h-pipe connection...