New MagnaPack Axleback Coming Out

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/08, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MagnaPack Axleback Coming Out

Anyone seen this?
http://www.planetmagnaflow.com/shop/...16793-937.html

Looks like there's a new axle-back from Magnaflow coming out for the 05+ GTs. Looks like they're the magnapack mufflers that were previously only available as a catback.

I'm very tempted to give these a try, the pain of installing/buying a full catback always kept me away from the magnapacks, but I loved the sound of them on the 99-04 cars.

Thinking about swapping my MAC axleback for these, at least temporarily to see what I think.
Old 11/2/08, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the maganpack catback system. Technically, it's not a full cat back system. It's just the tubing that goes over the axle and the axlebacks. I bought the system brand new on ebay for $307 shipped. I had the winning bid. If you want just the axlebacks, I say go for it. I doubt the sound and performance would be any different from the catback system model #15883 and just the axlebacks. They have a nice deep tone. As far as being loud, that is relative. They are not obnoxious in any way. I don't know why an H-pipe is not recommended with the magnapacks. The sound awsome with an H-pipe. Here is my car on a dyno. This is not the best video, but it may give you a little bit of an idea. They have some drone, but it's not that bad. With 4.10s and driving over 75 on the hwy, I am usually out of the drone range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_tMbEhrmwI
Old 11/2/08, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

They sound great!...

But I'm still partial to my Stingers!
Old 11/2/08, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I haven't heard the stingers in person, but I am guessing the stingers, maganpacks and bassani race sound similar and are within 1-2 db of each other.
Old 11/2/08, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gmantheman
I haven't heard the stingers in person, but I am guessing the stingers, maganpacks and bassani race sound similar and are within 1-2 db of each other.
I would agree, they are all of a similar design.

I would post a video of mine, but mine have no cats on them so it's REALLY loud!
Old 11/3/08, 12:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So which would/will sound more like a true muscle car? The magnapack with the "aggressive" tone, or the street axle back magnaflow exhaust with a "conservative" tone?

I have an Pypes o/h pipe, no cats and want to change out the mufflers, but I want deep a$$ tone that sounds like a true muscle car. Dont want just loud and raspy. Loud is fine, raspy no.
Old 11/3/08, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I think finding an exhaust set-up that sounds like a true muscle cars from the 60s and early 70s is almost impossible. From first hand experience, I can tell you that maganpacks have a deep tone. Stingers and Bassani race also have a deep tone.
Old 11/3/08, 08:56 AM

The regular Magnaflow mufflers and an o/r h-pipe has a nice, but more subdued muscle car rumble. At WOT they sound great, and have no drone at any rpm. Praise the exhaust gods, I'm free of drone! I don't know about the areas where you guys live, but any o/r pipe with can type mufflers (Stingers, Magnapacks, etc.) gets you undo attention from the cops. Here in Southern California, exhaust decibel level is enforced by law. Yes, I know most people install o/r mid-pipes for a louder more aggressive sound. Although I'm not getting this out of my set-up, I'm still getting increased hp and better gas mileage. These benefits, along with being drone-free, are worth it by themselves.
Old 11/3/08, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I think they enforce the law more in LA County than they do here in San Diego County. I know Stingers are illegal here in Ca because of DB, so I maganpacks may also be illegal. I am not sure of their DB levels. Anyway, I haven't been been stopped. I have driven by cops and next to cops on a number of occasions.
Old 11/3/08, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Here is an exhaust buyers guide. I don't know how accurate the DB leves are. According to this article, JBAs are the loudest. I had JBAs, which sounded very good, but I don't think they were any louder than magnpacks. http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...ticle&aid=3827
Old 11/5/08, 09:44 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like to see the major companies come out with mid mufflers..Axleback smackcleback..
Old 11/14/08, 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Magnapacks showed up today, videos this weekend hopefully
Old 11/15/08, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I am sure you will like them.
Old 11/17/08, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

First impressions:

Idle/Startup: Much quieter than the MACs, more than I expected, sounds almost stock at idle.
Under acceleration: They have a incredible tone under load and get pretty loud and sound amazing in a tunnel.

I'm hoping they'll get a little bit louder as I break them in, but so far so good. Only thing I really miss about the MACs is the awesome burble on deceleration, hoping that develops on these over time, we'll see. I think coupled with a Catted X-pipe they should be perfect.

Vids still to come hopefully
Old 11/17/08, 10:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I like downshifting though tunnels. Sounds awesome. They do get a little louder.