GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Cams from Comp Cams, available sort of....

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/06, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOLAGT
x2

If he doesnot he will be hung by the members here lol.

Altho I thinhe is doing the bbr cams....I think there is a vid of some in a yellow gt?!?

I want to see some #'s and sounds of the comp cams.....
Agreed. I would like to see what kind of number EmperorJordan puts down but I'd be more interested to see what kind of numbers someone with the comp cams puts down.
Old 7/25/06, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Something isn't right here. This thread is over 4 months old and the original hold up was because doug's car was in the shop. Please doug, just tell us what the hold up is.......
Old 7/26/06, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stang9325
Something isn't right here. This thread is over 4 months old and the original hold up was because doug's car was in the shop. Please doug, just tell us what the hold up is.......
I think he JUST got his car out the shop from another post I read. Id love to know/hear these things.
Old 7/26/06, 10:40 AM
Cobra R Member

His car was getting stripes painted...looks baaad, btw..
Old 7/26/06, 11:17 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm trying to direct Dougs attention to this thread so he can update
Old 7/26/06, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Scott
Old 7/26/06, 11:32 AM
Cam Tease

I've seen a million striped cars, I've seen no legit cam dyno data. I think this is because, stripes improve the S197, whereas cams simply do not. I would love to be proven wrong, but don't you think there is a reason people always disappear around the time their cam results are supposed to be in?
Old 7/26/06, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
I've seen a million striped cars, I've seen no legit cam dyno data. I think this is because, stripes improve the S197, whereas cams simply do not. I would love to be proven wrong, but don't you think there is a reason people always disappear around the time their cam results are supposed to be in?
True but I dont think thats the case...well I hope not.

Thanks scott for helping!

Maybe if the aftermarket cams dont add much in the way of power, just sound....then maybe the vvt is the key to more power out of the stock cam. Maybe having the vvt kick in sooner in the rpm's. In the honda/acura world they have vtec controlers that kick it on a few hundered rpm's sooner.
Old 7/26/06, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

i even hijacked his "stripes are done" thread with cam questions...but still no response here...:bummed:
Old 7/26/06, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

bah... he is never going to post. just give up
Old 7/26/06, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, like I said I've been waiting to get my car out of the body shop now for a few months. Even though I've JUST gotten it out I'm not ready to tear it down to install cams right yet. This cam installation is alot more then it used to be on an old 302. You first have to find the right puller to remove the harmonic balancer and then you have to have te correct tools from ford to both install the cams and properly time them. Finally while you have the cams out you MUST replace the valve springs with the proper ones from Comp Cams.

I've been in negotiation with Comp about installing the cams in my car as they were willing to do so, then they just wanted to install the 127-350 cams and be done with it and I dont want the largest of the four in it. So now I'm back to negotiating with them, they have my truck right now installing and testing new cams with it. I'm heading up that way later this week so once I'm up there maybe we can discuss it in more detail. Right now I think I'm going to shoot for the Mustang Club meet in Birmingham labor day weekend as I should have everything I'll need by then.

Sorry for not responding, I've just not had any new information and I didn't want to bump this thread until I do. Once I have new info I will begin a new thread about it.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 7/26/06, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's an article in The Mustang news about them...

http://www.themustangnews.com/tech/st-0506_compcams.htm
Old 7/27/06, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the reply Doug!!

If Comp wont put the cam you want in your car, direct them to this thread and tell them they are holding up a lot of orders with not doing what you want.

I like what they have to say in that link about them!!!
Old 7/28/06, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

meanwhile my car is still in the shop.... BBR did not include the shims needed for the lifters, so there is a gap. They suggested we use standard #10 washers.... I did not like this idea, because washers arent exactly the most exact shim, so we are working on getting correct shims to get these done. I will keep everybody posted.
Old 7/28/06, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

**** that sucks!! like so many others here and other forums I cant wait to see and hear (of course) how those bad boys are.
Old 7/28/06, 12:59 PM
Cobra Member

and you are still sure that BBR is a good source for anything auto performance related?

I wish you luck with the post op.

-Dan
Old 7/28/06, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by emperorjordan
...BBR .... They suggested we use standard #10 washers.... .
wow . . . not much else to say.

At least you should be happy a quality shop is doing the install.

The Boss Hog
Old 7/28/06, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

well, like i said before.... I like the cams BBR has, I dont approve of their claims back a year ago, but I went ahead and got their cams anyway, because they are the only ones that will get me what I want, and they have been very helpful the whole time.... but this washer business has me a bit ticked. Its just not the right way to do it. I hate shims to begin with, and I was under the impression that none would be needed. I am not quite sure what we will use yet.
Old 7/28/06, 03:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by emperorjordan
... I hate shims to begin with, and I was under the impression that none would be needed. ...
I'll admit I don't know why either, but it sounds like the cams you got are regrinds and the base circle is too small. That would leave too much clearance on the cam follower.

The Boss Hog . . . . just a guess

edit: again, just a guess, but that might also explain the "ticking" noise from the famous video . . .
Old 7/28/06, 04:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by The Boss Hog
I'll admit I don't know why either, but it sounds like the cams you got are regrinds and the base circle is too small. That would leave too much clearance on the cam follower.

The Boss Hog . . . . just a guess

edit: again, just a guess, but that might also explain the "ticking" noise from the famous video . . .
you are spot on, there is too much clearance on the cam follower... but thats what I was trying to find out.... did BBR just leave out the shims and leave the gap for the video? wouldnt that **** everything up? I didnt think it would run like that. I guess I am a little lost on exactly why shims are needed. I had a long talk with BBR before I got the cams, and he said I could maybe get away with stock springs and shims, but just dont rev it too high, I said that doesnt sound safe, so I got the Livernois springs, and he said shims wouldnt be needed.

So the Billet cams with the same specs, would shims be needed? they said no. Thats what I dont understand, I thought if the cam specs are the same.... then the only difference between regrinds and billets should be the material, not the shape.....

I am totally lost here

and dan, was that directed at me? I dont remember saying anything to that effect...

Quick Reply: New Cams from Comp Cams, available sort of....