GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Cams from Comp Cams, available sort of....

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/06, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to get that nasty lope and still be able to run a sc/turbo or are the nasty lope sounding cams more for a NA setup?
Old 7/5/06, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

actually, the nasty lope cams are generally FOR a blower, and dont run as well on an N/A car. My cams are blower cams, but not so intense so they will still be fun to drive N/A. But I got them because I hope I see a KB in my future.......
Old 7/5/06, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by emperorjordan
actually, the nasty lope cams are generally FOR a blower, and dont run as well on an N/A car. My cams are blower cams, but not so intense so they will still be fun to drive N/A. But I got them because I hope I see a KB in my future.......
Ahh for somereason I thought it was the other way around...thanks!
Old 7/5/06, 02:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

What are the drawbacks of cams, I'm very new to this
Old 7/5/06, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Only one I know of (new to them as well) is they deplete you bank account lol
Old 7/5/06, 04:21 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

also not legal, well at least in cali, you wont pass smog.

emperorjordan: which cams did you go with? custom grind? I too am gonna be SCing in the future, but dont want to wait till then to add cams. also did you change the rockers as well?
Old 7/5/06, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, I believe its the other way around. The "lope" is caused by overlap and FI cams generally have slightly less overlap than an equivelent N/A cam.

What are the specs (duration, lift, lobe sepparation) of your BBR cams? I checked their website and could not find any specs.

The Boss Hog . . . as always, just my opinion
Old 7/5/06, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lokius
What are the drawbacks of cams, I'm very new to this
A few I know of are:
1. Increased emissions, may or may not pass smog test
2. Rough idle, some people actually like a smooth running engine
3. Lower mpg (read more money)
4. Reduced low end torque (requires lower gears or high stall T/C)
5. Harder on the valve train (valves have to accelerate faster)

The Boss Hog

PS I still what them . . . .
Old 7/5/06, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

this thread is months old... where is the progress????
Old 7/5/06, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah, Boss Hog is right as far as overlap goes, but from what I have heard, usually the blower cams sound rougher and meaner than the non blower cams.
I really didnt know jack **** about cams a few months ago, but over the last 6 months I have learned a lot, but I am still learning and am just trying to share what I have learned.

The cams I got are BBR's Stage 2. 246 lobe lift, 241 intake, 251 exhaust both @ .050, lobe seperation @ 114 degrees and max lift is .498

they are more of a blower cam than an N/A cam, but they arent so agressive that its a total pig down low. It will still be very drivable N/A, and will also work well with a supercharger. I have a friend in canada with these cams and he runs a 100 shot sometimes, and he loves it. Says it is awesome both NA and on spray. He goes by Canuk Power on modularfords.com.

I am really trying to get mine in and dynoed next week.

and as far as smog goes..... yeah, it probably wont pass like it is, but if i put stock cats and intake back on, and pull all the timing, I will be fine.
Old 7/6/06, 12:48 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

yeah, Boss Hog is right as far as overlap goes, but from what I have heard, usually the blower cams sound rougher and meaner than the non blower cams.
I really didnt know jack **** about cams a few months ago, but over the last 6 months I have learned a lot, but I am still learning and am just trying to share what I have learned.

The cams I got are BBR's Stage 2. 246 lobe lift, 241 intake, 251 exhaust both @ .050, lobe seperation @ 114 degrees and max lift is .498

they are more of a blower cam than an N/A cam, but they arent so agressive that its a total pig down low. It will still be very drivable N/A, and will also work well with a supercharger. I have a friend in canada with these cams and he runs a 100 shot sometimes, and he loves it. Says it is awesome both NA and on spray. He goes by Canuk Power on modularfords.com.

I am really trying to get mine in and dynoed next week.

and as far as smog goes..... yeah, it probably wont pass like it is, but if i put stock cats and intake back on, and pull all the timing, I will be fine.
Ive seen his posts, any chance of new links to the vids? they no longer work
Old 7/6/06, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

First, thank you for providing the specs. Second, if you wanted the meanest, nastiest sounding cams, I believe you have succeeded!

From the specs you provided, the BBR cam will have 18 degrees overlap compared to -1.5 degrees for the top 3V CompCam (127350). Interestingly, the BBR specs look very similar to the top 2V CompCam (102700) (242 intake, 246 exhaust 113 lobe sep.) which also has 18 degrees of overlap.

I would have to question why CompCams designed a cam with negative(!) overlap yet still states it has a "very rough idle"? Something tells me there is more going on with the VCT on the 3V than meets the eye. The old "Rule-of-Thumb" may not hold true anymore

The Boss Hog

PS I have nothing for or against BBR. Just trying to figure out which cam would be best for my needs.
Old 7/6/06, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

I cant believe no one has some comp cams in the car yet and has #'s and vids. They been out for a little bit now....
Old 7/6/06, 06:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by The Boss Hog
First, thank you for providing the specs. Second, if you wanted the meanest, nastiest sounding cams, I believe you have succeeded!

From the specs you provided, the BBR cam will have 18 degrees overlap compared to -1.5 degrees for the top 3V CompCam (127350). Interestingly, the BBR specs look very similar to the top 2V CompCam (102700) (242 intake, 246 exhaust 113 lobe sep.) which also has 18 degrees of overlap.

I would have to question why CompCams designed a cam with negative(!) overlap yet still states it has a "very rough idle"? Something tells me there is more going on with the VCT on the 3V than meets the eye. The old "Rule-of-Thumb" may not hold true anymore

The Boss Hog

PS I have nothing for or against BBR. Just trying to figure out which cam would be best for my needs.
It seems we are in the same boat here as far as wanting the best cam. and you are right on about not being able to compare the 3v grinds from Comp and Crower to the 2v ones. The way I understand it, the VVT is a huge table that can be programmed to change cam timing at different rpms/conditions. Also, from what I understand, it makes power up high like the old cams, but instead of being totally inefficient at idle (which is what cams traditionally do, that lumpy sound is really wasting a lot of gas and power down low) it goes closer to stock down low, so you get the best of both worlds in the power department (big cam up top, not a pig down low), but you sacrafice the sound. I hope that makes sense.

and here is Canuk Power's vid of the BBR cams with the above specs.
http://ikeadan69.rickysanders.net/canukBBR.wmv please right click and save as. The quality isnt the greatest with his camera.... he has LTs and an off road X, and Bassani axel backs.

Old 7/23/06, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bump....again.....WTF?
Old 7/24/06, 12:13 AM
Cam Tease

This thread is teasing even me...
Old 7/24/06, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

she is in the shop.... cams will be on in a matter of hours.... then going to play with VCT in the tune over the next couple days....

its so close I can taste it now. Car will be running with cams by tomorrow morning.... but will need tuning.
Old 7/24/06, 07:03 PM
Cam Tease

The Cam Tease wishes you all the best.
Old 7/25/06, 08:40 AM

EmperorJordan I really hope you have your video camera with you first time you start that bad boy up.
Old 7/25/06, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
EmperorJordan I really hope you have your video camera with you first time you start that bad boy up.
x2

If he doesnot he will be hung by the members here lol.

Altho I thinhe is doing the bbr cams....I think there is a vid of some in a yellow gt?!?

I want to see some #'s and sounds of the comp cams.....

Quick Reply: New Cams from Comp Cams, available sort of....